Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Now That Unlocking Devices Is Legal, Will OnePlus One Be CDMA Compatible?

I'm wondering if this will make it so Verizon has to offer their service to third parties like OnePlus One or if they'll still keep themselves locked down. I would absolutely buy a OnePlus One device to keep my unlimited data plan. I don't see how most of us would really benefit from this new legalization when it comes to new devices.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app

No, this will not allow that phone onto Verizon network. It does not appear to have the proper radios. This is also without getting started on the Nexus 7 tablet. That tablet could work on Verizon LTE but they would not activate them in the beginning.

Once Verizon starts VoLTE we should start to be able to use some of these great unlocked phones.
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: Now That Unlocking Devices Is Legal, Will OnePlus One Be CDMA Compatible?

It truly is a bummer. I wish there were more options in my area besides Verizon and AT&T.

Default Re: Now That Unlocking Devices Is Legal, Will OnePlus One Be CDMA Compatible?

Unlocking the phone doesn't change the radio frequencies that allow the phone to function as a phone. I believe the opo is a gsm phone. This may change in the future.

As said above, It doesn't have the proper radios but even if it did, Verizon would not allow a non verizon cdma device on its network. This includes Sprint, whose cdma technology and frequency is compatible with Verizon.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

I'm well aware O+O doesn't offer compatible radios, the conversation I was attempting to start was do we think it's possible for them to provide a CDMA compatible device in the future. I'm not a rookie buddies

Quote Originally Posted by Srambo217 View Post
    I'm well aware O+O doesn't offer compatible radios, the conversation I was attempting to start was do we think it's possible for them to provide a CDMA compatible device in the future. I'm not a rookie buddies

It would be possible, but probably unlikely, since cdma carriers typically only allow approved devices on its network. So 1+1 would have to work with Verizon or whoever and it would have to be a Verizon branded phone, which also means a higher price in all likelihood.

Though with volte around the corner, they can provide a b13 capable device. The issue still remains that Verizon won't issue a sim for non verizon certified devices. You can take an active sim from another device, but that complicates things.

Sent from my LG G Pad 8.3
    Thanked by: