i have udp and i am out of contract with 4 addional lines that are in contract. what are my options

Masx

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
Actually if you order the phone from Verizon you can use the SIM that comes with the phone, just when you activate it online select Phone and SIM not previously on this account. For the Best Buy method don't use the SIM that comes with the phone, throw it out immediately.

What do you mean by select "Phone and SIM not previously on account"? I would need another phone for the new SIM?

JulesJam

Banned
Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
What do you mean by select "Phone and SIM not previously on account"? I would need another phone for the new SIM?
no, when you go to activate a new phone on a line, you get asked if you are activating a phone that has been on your account before. Do not select that option; instead select phone and SIM not previously on account.

Masx

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
no, when you go to activate a new phone on a line, you get asked if you are activating a phone that has been on your account before. Do not select that option; instead select phone and SIM not previously on account.

Ah and itll transfer my udp from previous SIM to new one after that option?

Masx

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
Once you type in the new SIM card number, the old SIM card is disabled and the new SIM card is the SIM card the network will recognize for your phone number.

Ah I see, thanks everyone! Was getting confused by some posts saying that getting/using a new SIM from verizon was just as bad as using the one with best buy so I should use a SIM cutter. But all this info defintely clears things up

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Ah I see, thanks everyone! Was getting confused by some posts saying that getting/using a new SIM from verizon was just as bad as using the one with best buy so I should use a SIM cutter. But all this info defintely clears things up

The whole issue with the SIM is that the one that comes with the phone when buy the phone from Best Buy is that the is already associated with your account. The whole strategy with the Best Buy method is avoiding the last step of activating the phone with that pending order that if implemented would take away your UDP. If you just turn on the phone with that SIM it would consummate the plan and you instantly lose the UDP. By putting in your existing SIM it disrupts this last step and the phone becomes associated with your old UDP that is associated with your old SIM instead.

With the Verizon the SIM you get is a virgin SIM so really has no line associated with it yet. So you should be able to use it if you wish and be sure to select "use phone/sim not previously associated with your account" when you activate it. Also since the Verizon "transfer phone to another line method" isn't dependent on avoiding activation like the Best Buy method the SIM that ships with the phone isn't dangerous as it is with the Best Buy method. But it's just easier to recommend people use their existing SIM from their UDP phone in the new phone as all these options get confusing.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiaara