Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default i have udp and i am out of contract with 4 addional lines that are in contract. what are my options

I want to upgrade to a s5 (have s4) and I am available for a up grade but don't want to loose my udp which they threated to do.
    I pay 285.00 a month for 5 phones with 4 of them with 2 gig data and mine is unlimited data and we share 700 minutes.

what are my options?
    1 since I am the account holder out of contract can I leave them and find another courier?
    2 is 285 for what I have a good deal(had it for years)
    3 how can I keep my uld and get my new phone?
    gs4 verizon

1 your line could leave. You would have to pay the etf on the other lines if they left.

2 - Sounds high to me. I have an old plan with a good discount though.

3- transfer your upgrade to a tiered line. Upgrade, activate on tiered. Swap phones around.

Default Re: i have udp and i am out of contract with 4 addional lines that are in contract. what are my opti

You could use be best buy loophole. There's plenty of loophole threads here

Posted via Galaxy S5

Default Re: i have udp and i am out of contract with 4 addional lines that are in contract. what are my opti

Quote Originally Posted by adamant117 View Post
    I want to upgrade to a s5 (have s4) and I am available for a up grade but don't want to loose my udp which they threated to do.
    I pay 285.00 a month for 5 phones with 4 of them with 2 gig data and mine is unlimited data and we share 700 minutes.

what are my options?
    1 since I am the account holder out of contract can I leave them and find another courier?
    2 is 285 for what I have a good deal(had it for years)
    3 how can I keep my uld and get my new phone?
    You could transfer your upgrade to one of the tiered lines. Order a new phone. When it comes take the SIM from your UDP phone and put it in your new phone and it will be on your UDP line with UDP preserved and contract extended 2 years. Do it before October though because after that Verizon will throttle the UDP.

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by dss2000 View Post
    You could transfer your upgrade to one of the tiered lines. Order a new phone. When it comes take the SIM from your UDP phone and put it in your new phone and it will be on your UDP line with UDP preserved and contract extended 2 years. Do it before October though because after that Verizon will throttle the UDP.

Do you have to activate on the tiered line first? In the process of doing this again and wondering if I actually need to activate on the tiered line I transferred my unlimited data plan upgrade to.
    Banned

Global Posts
    223 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Toad View Post
    Do you have to activate on the tiered line first? In the process of doing this again and wondering if I actually need to activate on the tiered line I transferred my unlimited data plan upgrade to.
    Some say you don't have to, but why risk activating on the UDP line first?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Toad View Post
    Well documented that you don't have to. But won't hurt if you do other than extra step and will temporarily disrupt service on tiered data line. Important if you don't have that phone in hand and someone else using it.

Banned

Global Posts
    223 Global Posts

Well documented that you don't have to.
    so you can transfer an upgrade from a UDP line to a tiered data plan line, order a new phone on the TDP line and then when it arrives, activate it first on the UDP line with the SIM card it shipped with and not lose your UDP?

Quote Originally Posted by JulesJam View Post
    so you can transfer an upgrade from a UDP line to a tiered data plan line, order a new phone on the TDP line and then when it arrives, activate it first on the UDP line with the SIM card it shipped with and not lose your UDP?
    Yes
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

They are telling me that I will loose the udp once I attempt to transfer the my upgrade to a teared line
    gs4 verizon

They are telling me that I will loose the udp once I attempt to transfer the my upgrade to a teared line
    Whoever they are are either misinformed or lying. If it is a Verizon CSR it's probably the latter.

12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Whoever they are are either misinformed or lying. If it is a Verizon CSR it's probably the latter.

So I walk into a Verizon corporate store and tell them that I want to transfer my upgrade which has the unlimited data to my daughters line that has the two gig package. Let them activate the new phone on her line and in a few days deactivate it and activate it on my line and I will keep the udp?
    gs4 verizon

So I walk into a Verizon corporate store and tell them that I want to transfer my upgrade which has the unlimited data to my daughters line that has the two gig package. Let them activate the new phone on her line and in a few days deactivate it and activate it on my line and I will keep the udp?
    I would not do it in a store. You can do it yourself online.

Like cnotes2019 said do it online. If you go to the store you will probably will lose unlimited data. Do it all online and don't talk to anyone. When I did this for my wife's iPhone 5S I activated the phone on the tiered line for about 3 minutes. Swapped Sims put the dumb-phone back on and canceled the data plan.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Mr. Toad, I am confused!
    gs4 verizon
    Banned

Global Posts
    223 Global Posts

Mr. Toad, I am confused!
    Why are you confused? If you do it in-store, a Verizon CSR can switch you off of unlimited data if they want. They get commission bonuses for eliminating UDPs.

If you do it online, you don't have to worry about a Verizon CSR doing something underhanded. Read all of the threads about this and you will find examples where exactly that happened - an in-store Verizon CSR switched someone off of UDP when it wasn't necessary.

Do it online. If you don't and a Verizon CSR switches you off of your UDP, you will get no sympathy from me.

Mr. Toad, I am confused!
    It is simple. Log into your Verizon account. Click upgrade device. Press the transfer upgrade button. Transfer from Unlimited line to you daughters tiered line. Proceed with the order. Get the new phone activate it. Then put your unlimited sim into the phone. Activate your daughters phone back on her line. You are done. If the SIMs are the same size it makes it really easy.

DO NOT GO TO THE STORE OR CALL.

Quote Originally Posted by JulesJam View Post
    I would advise against walking into a Verizon store, they are the biggest liers and I suspect get the biggest commission.

One Smart phone with UDP
    Line1 UDP (Upgrade available)
    Line2 dumb phone

1. Transfer upgrade from Line1 to Line2
    2. Order smartphone using upgrade on Line2, select data plan
    3. Activate smartphone on Line1 (take SIM from your existing UDP phone and put in new phone)
    4. Pending data plan on Line2 will drop off in a week

Can i goto the store to get a new sim and install after this process? The current one i have wont fit in the new phone, so would installing a new sim preserve udp also? Not the one that came with the phone of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Masx View Post
    Can i goto the store to get a new sim and install after this process? The current one i have wont fit in the new phone, so would installing a new sim preserve udp also? Not the one that came with the phone of course.
    Actually if you order the phone from Verizon you can use the SIM that comes with the phone, just when you activate it online select Phone and SIM not previously on this account. For the Best Buy method don't use the SIM that comes with the phone, throw it out immediately.
    Thanked by 2:
    Masx 
    Banned

Global Posts
    223 Global Posts

I would advise against walking into a Verizon store, they are the biggest liers and I suspect get the biggest commission.
    yes, for sure.

Activate smartphone on Line1 (take SIM from your existing UDP phone and put in new phone)
    Ok so you don't use the SIM that shipped with the phone.
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

Will a s4 Sim fit a s5?
    gs4 verizon

Actually if you order the phone from Verizon you can use the SIM that comes with the phone, just when you activate it online select Phone and SIM not previously on this account. For the Best Buy method don't use the SIM that comes with the phone, throw it out immediately.
    What do you mean by select "Phone and SIM not previously on account"? I would need another phone for the new SIM?
    Banned

Global Posts
    223 Global Posts

Will a s4 Sim fit a s5?
    that's easy enough to google or ask on the s5 forum rather than this thread which is about the process for getting a subsidized phone while keeping udp.
    Banned

Global Posts
    223 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Masx View Post
    What do you mean by select "Phone and SIM not previously on account"? I would need another phone for the new SIM?
    no, when you go to activate a new phone on a line, you get asked if you are activating a phone that has been on your account before. Do not select that option; instead select phone and SIM not previously on account.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast