Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Banned

Global Posts
    221 Global Posts

Default What happens if you use an upgrade but sell the phone and never activate the phone on your account?

I know I have read about people doing this - using an upgrade to get a subsidized phone, not activating the phone on their account and then selling it as new.

I have read somewhere (I think on this forum) that if someone does that they will have a pending activation that stays on the line but that it eventually goes away.

What are the implications of this? IIRC, one of the implications is that you can't put a different phone on the line until the pending activation goes away.

What about the contract date and upgrade date for the line? Do those reset when you use the upgrade and stay that way regardless of whether or not you activate the phone on your account?

If you upgraded a basic line, chose a data plan but never activated the new subsidized smartphone on the basic line but rather kept the basic phone on the line, did the data plan ever get put on the basic line?

If anyone has upgraded and then sold the phone without activating it on their account, please post and tell me what happened. Thanks!

Default Re: What happens if you use an upgrade but sell the phone and never activate the phone on your accou

Quote Originally Posted by JulesJam View Post
    I know I have read about people doing this - using an upgrade to get a subsidized phone, not activating the phone on their account and then selling it as new.

I have read somewhere (I think on this forum) that if someone does that they will have a pending activation that stays on the line but that it eventually goes away.

What are the implications of this? IIRC, one of the implications is that you can't put a different phone on the line until the pending activation goes away.

What about the contract date and upgrade date for the line? Do those reset when you use the upgrade and stay that way regardless of whether or not you activate the phone on your account?

If you upgraded a basic line, chose a data plan but never activated the new subsidized smartphone on the basic line but rather kept the basic phone on the line, did the data plan ever get put on the basic line?

If anyone has upgraded and then sold the phone without activating it on their account, please post and tell me what happened. Thanks!
    When I've done this in the past about 2 years ago the activation just fell off and plan never went into effect. If this is do you could still get around the new policy of requiring data to stay on dumb phone just never activate the phone on that line and put it on your UDP.

Posted via Android Central App
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    Banned

Global Posts
    221 Global Posts

Default Re: What happens if you use an upgrade but sell the phone and never activate the phone on your accou

Quote Originally Posted by dss2000 View Post
    When I've done this in the past about 2 years ago the activation just fell off and plan never went into effect. If this is do you could still get around the new policy of requiring data to stay on dumb phone just never activate the phone on that line and put it on your UDP.
    that is what I am hoping, but my guess is that Verizon will fix this loophole if not by 8/24/14, then at some later point.