Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Verizon announces VoLTE in the upcoming weeks

Verizon announced in the upcoming weeks they will flip the switch on VoLTE. Are you excited for this be available for everyone? Also it does say it will use minutes and not use your data allotment. .

Verizon preparing to finally launch VoLTE in the coming weeks | Android Central
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.

Default Re: Verizon announces VoLTE in the upcoming weeks

I only care about volte in regards to how it affects my unlimited data. I would prefer unlimited unthrottled 4GLTE over volte, since I don't call much but use a lot of data.

Also since I have unlimited data, I would prefer to have it count towards my unlimited data usage over my measly 550 minute allowance for 5 lines of service.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

It makes no difference to me as I don't make many voice calls to begin with and have absolutely zero interest in making a video call.
    Thanked by:

I'm really interested to see how the handoff from CDMA to LTE is going to work. I flip from B13 to B4 every 30 seconds, and when walking around Philadelphia drop constantly to 3G and 1X. I will probably choose not VoLTE most of the time, but I see Verizon probably changing some stuff with it eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by xiwong View Post
    I'm really interested to see how the handoff from CDMA to LTE is going to work. I flip from B13 to B4 every 30 seconds, and when walking around Philadelphia drop constantly to 3G and 1X. I will probably choose not VoLTE most of the time, but I see Verizon probably changing some stuff with it eventually.
    My understanding is that the call would be dropped, based on the article above :

"*Should LTE connectivity be lost during a call, it won't automatically fall back to a standard call. "

Sent from my LG G Pad 8.3

Not sure if this was mentioned, but video calls will use voice and minutes

Global Posts
    9,161 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM12 5.0.2

Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    Not sure if this was mentioned, but video calls will use voice and minutes

Double dipping isn't cool on Verizon's part 😒

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.4
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Synycalwon View Post
    It makes no difference to me as I don't make many voice calls to begin with and have absolutely zero interest in making a video call.
    Do you have a wireless phone? Reason I ask is I see a lot of people say they don't use minutes, or make calls, they just use data. If that's the case why not just get a tablet. It's it possible to get just a tablet. I use mine for both talk and data so I've never looked into it.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

My understanding is that the call would be dropped, based on the article above :

"*Should LTE connectivity be lost during a call, it won't automatically fall back to a standard call. "

Sent from my LG G Pad 8.3
    Verizon is no where close to being ready for this. Be ready for increased dropped calls.

Quote Originally Posted by trucksmoveamerica#AC View Post
    Verizon is no where close to being ready for this. Be ready for increased dropped calls.

There is probably a way to disable volte.

There is probably a way to disable volte.

I hope so.

Do you have a wireless phone? Reason I ask is I see a lot of people say they don't use minutes, or make calls, they just use data. If that's the case why not just get a tablet. It's it possible to get just a tablet. I use mine for both talk and data so I've never looked into it.
    Yup, Verizon Note 2. It's not that I don't use any voice minutes, it's just not very many (ex. 100 to 150 minutes a month) to worry about how VoLTE may affect it. I do have a couple tablets (OG Note 10.1 and OG Nexus 7) though, but they're Wi-Fi only so not very practical when I'm out and about if someone (ex. family, friends or work) may need to reach me immediately. Even if they had cell data, they're not as portable as the phone.

According to articles i am reading coming from verizon... a VOLTE Will convert to a 3G NETWORK VOICE CALL if either party loses an LTE Signal...

All VOLTE Voice Calls will count from your Bucket of MINUTES.. and VOLTE VIDEO CALLS will count as DATA..

I was under the impression that a call Could NOT Convert from VOLTE to CDMA.. But they must have figured it out

Quote Originally Posted by sierrajinx9 View Post
    According to articles i am reading coming from verizon... a VOLTE Will convert to a 3G NETWORK VOICE CALL if either party loses an LTE Signal...

All VOLTE Voice Calls will count from your Bucket of MINUTES.. and VOLTE VIDEO CALLS will count as DATA..

I was under the impression that a call Could NOT Convert from VOLTE to CDMA.. But they must have figured it out
    Can you provide a link to the verizon article talking about the volte handoff to 3g?

Quote Originally Posted by Thegreatone3 View Post
    Following was copied from this link. Looks like call handoff is not possible.

If you are on an HD Voice call (or Video Call through Advanced Calling 1.0) and leave a 4G LTE area, you will drop the call. According to Verizon, there is no mid-call hand-off to CDMA.

Video Calls can be handed off to WiFi and back to LTE. With a Video Call taking place over WiFi, customers should see a special icon indicating as much.

And video calls will use data and voice minutes, that's the Verizon I know, double dipping. This is probably going to kill unlimited data or the throttling will be enforced hence why they announced it starting in October.

17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Quote Originally Posted by sierrajinx9 View Post

It can't. It says if you lose LTE the call won't be transferred.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Please see the quote below from the article.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Verizon announces VoLTE in the upcoming weeks-1409147897208.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    Please see the quote below from the article.
    That sentence should worry us. Verizon lte is pretty spotty now. Time will tell, but it looks like as of now we can turn it on or off.

Global Posts
    9,161 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM12 5.0.2

That sentence should worry us. Verizon lte is pretty spotty now. Time will tell, but it looks like as of now we can turn it on or off.

They probably have the least spotty LTE coverage in most places

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan

Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    They probably have the least spotty LTE coverage in most places

I travel for a living, and their lte coverage is not ready for this, get out of the city and sometimes in the cities there will be dropped calls. They might be better then the others in coverage area, but they raced it out to fast and there are holes

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    9,161 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM12 5.0.2

I travel for a living, and their lte coverage is not ready for this, get out of the city and sometimes in the cities there will be dropped calls. They might be better then the others in coverage area, but they raced it out to fast and there are holes

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk
    Do you know how that compares to other carriers in the same area?
    I'm on T-Mobile, and when I have gone to Vegas (driving through the desert mountains), Verizon has been better. The person who had VZW was on LTE the majority of the time. My uncle on ATT had HSPA+ most of the way. I had EDGE most of the way, save for a few big cities in between.

Do you know how that compares to other carriers in the same area?
    I'm on T-Mobile, and when I have gone to Vegas (driving through the desert mountains), Verizon has been better. The person who had VZW was on LTE the majority of the time. My uncle on ATT had HSPA+ most of the way. I had EDGE most of the way, save for a few big cities in between.

You said it for me, lte majority the time. What I'm saying is be prepared for more dropped calls. There are plenty of holes in Verizon lte coverage, they aren't ready to drop cdma yet.

I feel they are rushing things out to be first at the expense of the quality of their network. I hope I'm wrong.

Global Posts
    9,161 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM12 5.0.2

You said it for me, lte majority the time. What I'm saying is be prepared for more dropped calls. There are plenty of holes in Verizon lte coverage, they aren't ready to drop cdma yet.

I feel they are rushing things out to be first at the expense of the quality of their network. I hope I'm wrong.

T-Mo already has VoLTE deployed. They won't drop CDMA completely anytime soon if you ask me. A couple of years at least.

25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

T-Mo already has VoLTE deployed. They won't drop CDMA completely anytime soon if you ask me. A couple of years at least.

Last report I saw was 2021 for CDMA shutdown.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast