Verizon's own store can't let me transfer upgrade unless I switch from unlimited to 2gb data plan

Carla97220

Aug 28, 2014
Visit site
I went to the Verizon store this morning trying to get a new LG G3 phone. It was at one of those stand-alone stores owned by Verizon with actual Verizon employees. (as opposed to those 3rd-party authorized sellers)

When I walked it, I was expecting to be out of there in less than an hour. There were 6 people ahead of me in line. The employee at the door put my name on a clipboard and told me it would be about 5 minutes. I played with the LG G3 on the display counter and compared it to the Galaxy S5 nearby. Yes, I definitely want the G3. :)

A very nice lady called my name. I told her: "this one.. I want to get this G3" She went to the back to grabe one while I waited at the counter. She came back with the phone and started to open it up. I gave her all my account info and told her that I wanted to use the upgrade from my primary line and transfer it to one of the other lines on my account. Only my primary line was upgrade eligible. She looked up my account and said "you know you'll lose your unlimited data plan if you do this, right?" I was shocked because I had done my home work and searched many internet forums, including this one. I told her that other people(on the internet) have transferred upgrades from unlimited data to another line and kept it.

She said that was true as of last week, but no longer, unfortunately. The store manager was next to her and said the same thing. They said it was in my best interest not to do mess with my unlimited data plan, based on my high data usage of around 70 GB to 90 GB per month. The manager said if I really wanted the LG G3, my two options are: (1) buy it at full retail, or (2) add another line to my account and buy it at discounted 2-year pricing. However, option (2) would require me to agree to maintain a 30-dollar 2 GB data plan on that line during the 2-year period.

There is also a third option for transferring my upgrade to another line. I can use the upgrade to get a non-smartphone on my other line.

The manager said he could have easily transferred my upgrade to another line and kept my unlimited data plan, if I came in last week. He said the main reason was that I had to agree to keep a $30 data plan on the line where the line that the upgrade came from if I was getting a smartphone. I objected and said that I already had a $30 unlimited data plan. He corrected me and pointed to the screen showing my account. It actually said $29.99 data. He said that in order to do it, I have to agree to a $30 data plan(or more) which would NOT be unlimited.

I told him that I needed to think about it and come back at another time. Not that I didn't believe him or anything, but when I got home, I called two other Verizon corporate stores and asked. I got the same answer. Both said it was fine a week ago, but this week, Verizon came up with some new changes to their policy.

Am I simply out of luck now? :(

Last edited:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Afaik, I don't know of anyone who was able to do it this week. Personally, I pushed my unlimited line upgrade last week to avoid this issue and also to make it more likely to remain unthrottled for 2 years.

Sent from my LG G Pad 8.3

Masx

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
If you read up on lots of ways to go about the upgrade you NEVER bring ANY rep in the process of your upgrade/transfer. You will be taken off UDP as that's what they are paid to do. Basically you'll have to go about this process online by yourself as many have mentioned in the step by step instructions. Now with the new policy in affect I believe if you want to transfer your upgrade you need to make sure that the line receiving the upgrade is at the very least tiered data otherwise you'll be stuck with the $30 data plan that you won't be able to remove if it's a basic line for 2 years.

My only question which not many people have been answering is what happens when you try the "flying arrow method" listed here on the boards.

Carla97220

Aug 28, 2014
Visit site
If you read up on lots of ways to go about the upgrade you NEVER bring ANY rep in the process of your upgrade/transfer. You will be taken off UDP as that's what they are paid to do. Basically you'll have to go about this process online by yourself as many have mentioned in the step by step instructions. Now with the new policy in affect I believe if you want to transfer your upgrade you need to make sure that the line receiving the upgrade is at the very least tiered data otherwise you'll be stuck with the $30 data plan that you won't be able to remove if it's a basic line for 2 years.

My only question which not many people have been answering is what happens when you try the "flying arrow method" listed here on the boards.

So it's safe if I do this online on Verizon's own website? Thanks!

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Read the threads on best buy. You get earned you will lose the unlimited data. The receipt says keep plan. When you get the Phone throwaway the sim that came with it. Put your current SIM in the phone. This bypasses the order to switch you to the 2GB plan. Your receipt will day keep existing plan.

Carla97220

Aug 28, 2014
Visit site
Read the threads on best buy. You get earned you will lose the unlimited data. The receipt says keep plan. When you get the Phone throwaway the sim that came with it. Put your current SIM in the phone. This bypasses the order to switch you to the 2GB plan. Your receipt will day keep existing plan.

okay... and it will work for upgrade transfer? they won't make me agree to the new $30 data plan online?

thanks!

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
okay... and it will work for upgrade transfer? they won't make me agree to the new $30 data plan online?

thanks!
You don't need to do the upgrade transfer. You directly upgrade a line. You then put whatever sim you want into the phone and destroy the sim that came with it.

The upgrade transfer was the old way to keep unlimited on Verizon. Looks like they might of closed that loophole?

Carla97220

Aug 28, 2014
Visit site
You don't need to do the upgrade transfer. You directly upgrade a line. You then put whatever sim you want into the phone and destroy the sim that came with it.

The upgrade transfer was the old way to keep unlimited on Verizon. Looks like they might of closed that loophole?

you mean upgrading the line with the line with UDP,
wait for the phone to arrive, throw out the included SIM,
insert the old SIM, and that's it?

sounds so easy, a caveman can do it? I'll give that a try. :)

Masx

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't. Verizon fixed the loop hole.. It's risky now.

The loophole was for using a basic line then downgrading it back to basic removin data. As long as you have a tiered line it should be fine. Now if you dont have a tiered line then the Best Buy method is the way to go

Carla97220

Aug 28, 2014
Visit site
The loophole was for using a basic line then downgrading it back to basic removin data. As long as you have a tiered line it should be fine. Now if you dont have a tiered line then the Best Buy method is the way to go

I'm a newbie to all this, so please bear with me.

Are these the correct steps I should take?

(1) go to BestBuy.com
(2) order a new smartphone at upgrade pricing using my UDP line's upgrade
(3) it will say "keep existing plan"
(4) pay for the phone
(5) wait for delivery at my home
(6) once it arrives, throw the included SIM card into trash
(7) insert UDP line's SIM card into new smartphone
(8) check my Verizon account to verify that UDP is still present

Thanks for your help! :)

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm a newbie to all this, so please bear with me.

Are these the correct steps I should take?

(1) go to BestBuy.com
(2) order a new smartphone at upgrade pricing using my UDP line's upgrade
(3) it will say "keep existing plan"
(4) pay for the phone
(5) wait for delivery at my home
(6) once it arrives, throw the included SIM card into trash
(7) insert UDP line's SIM card into new smartphone
(8) check my Verizon account to verify that UDP is still present

Thanks for your help! :)
That is the best buy method. I personally would physically destroy the sim card.

Masx

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
I guess I can use the CD/DVD shredder that I bought last year to turn the SIM card into a dozen little pieces. :)

The main obstacle with Best Buy is having the phone you want shipped to your house. Lots of people are having a problem with it only SHIP TO STORE.

cnotes2019

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
The main obstacle with Best Buy is having the phone you want shipped to your house. Lots of people are having a problem with it only SHIP TO STORE.

I'm thinking that it will be like this for the iphone 6 note 4 etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cruiserdude

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
My understanding is this new policy both prevents you from using a basic line to do upgrades, as well as preventing you from transferring the upgrade from a UDP line. The line that you initially get the upgrade from gets the contract extension, even if you transfer that upgrade to another line, so that original line is now required to keep a data plan that costs at least $30 a month. UDP is $29.99, aka one penny short. Yes I believe Verizon knew exactly what they were doing.

What I don't know is why they're so keen to eliminate all UDP customers using whatever methods possible, compared to the other evil empire, ATT, which still let's you upgrade a UDP line as long as you keep paying for the plan each month. No loopholes required.

cnotes2019

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
My understanding is this new policy both prevents you from using a basic line to do upgrades, as well as preventing you from transferring the upgrade from a UDP line. The line that you initially get the upgrade from gets the contract extension, even if you transfer that upgrade to another line, so that original line is now required to keep a data plan that costs at least $30 a month. UDP is $29.99, aka one penny short. Yes I believe Verizon knew exactly what they were doing.

What I don't know is why they're so keen to eliminate all UDP customers using whatever methods possible, compared to the other evil empire, ATT, which still let's you upgrade a UDP line as long as you keep paying for the plan each month. No loopholes required.

Some people have reported success with doing transfers from UDP recently.

Carla97220

Aug 28, 2014
Visit site
Some people have reported success with doing transfers from UDP recently.

I have not been able to find one example yet... at least not on AndroidCentral. :( Could you point me to the thread where people was able to do this? (transferring UDP line's upgrade to a basic line and do the upgrade, without getting stuck with $30 on basic line, or worse, lose UDP)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze