MMS over WiFi not coming through

Simon_y7

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Is this a known restriction? Other carriers apparently require data to be turned on for MMS to be downloaded. Is it also true for Verizon?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
To the best of my knowledge SMS and MMS do not travel via 'normal' data packets, which means you wouldn't receive them through WiFi, only if you have an active connection to the carrier's network.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I have no problem w/ texts/SMS via WiFi, just with MMS.

SMS is using your cell signal to send.. You're just on wifi but it's not sending through the wifi.

Just ensure your mobile data is on.. Even if on wifi it should use the mobile data in the background to grab the MMS message.

Simon_y7

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Then how come my wife gets SMS on her dumbhone with no problem when she has no data?

Posted via Android Central App

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
MMS should come through as long as you have a valid cell signal with data capabilities, even if your plan doesn't have data included. MMS are data packets, they COULD travel through WiFi in theory, but in practice, they use the cell network.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yes, and no. If you block data on any phone, you wouldn't be able to receive MMS. If you don't block data but don't have a data plan, MMS can get through but it depends on your messaging plan (and if your carrier has enabled MMS for your line) if it only counts against your messaging quota (if any, for those with unlimited messaging), if it is charged on a per-message basis or if it charges you per KB used by the message (the latter would be equivalent to opening the browser on a not-so-dumb phone without the data block but with no data plan; if your carrier allows it, you incur in data transfers and you'll get charged, usually, on a per KB basis).

Simon_y7

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
But if you block data on the line, you won't have data capabilities. So if the OP wants to test it with his wife's dumbphone he can block data on her line and then send her an MMS.

I don't see how to "block data" on her phone other than to switch to an airplane mode. But, acc. to the menu, that would disable all wireless capabilities. it would block texts as well, I surmise. BTW, we have unlimited texting on our plan.

Simon_y7

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
You don't block data on a dumbphone. You block data on the line that has a dumbphone on it.

You do this by logging into verizon online and selecting her device. Over to the left will be the option to block services. Select it and block data on her line.

The only option I see on each of our phones is to "Suspend Service." I don't think she'd appreciate me doing that to her phone. :-\

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
B/c he said his wife could receive MMS fine on her dumbphone line that didn't even have a data plan so he didn't understand how MMS could require data if she could receive them.

If he blocks data on her line and tries to send her an MMS, she won't be able to receive them.

Exactly but he doesn't need to actually block it just to prove it. MMS is known to use data and has to. He could easily prove this by going on mobile data on his phone (off wifi) and send a photo to himself.. It'll work.. Then flip mobile data off.. And try.. It won't work.

Much easier to show it that way versus adding an actual block to the line.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs