new hangouts

ericizzy1

May 17, 2010
Visit site
im on the unlimited data plan $30 and have the unlimited voice $60. i would like to reduce my voice package cost, my question:
now , that hangouts has its dedicated dialer and integrated with google voice, can i port my cell number to google voice, and get a new dummy number just to keep using my verizon data/loser rate voice plan?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yup, you can. The new Hangouts Dialer will let you use your Google Voice number via VoIP, so if you have unlimited data, this is probably your best bet to reduce your voice package.

ericizzy1

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Yup, you can. The new Hangouts Dialer will let you use your Google Voice number via VoIP, so if you have unlimited data, this is probably your best bet to reduce your voice package.

how do i do the port to google voice without jrisking my unlimited data plan?
thanks

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
That, I'm afraid, I don't know. When you set Google Voice up it'll ask you to either pick a new number or use your existing one. As to what that means for your existing number, the help page (https://support.google.com/voice/answer/150640?hl=en) doesn't do much to shed some light on the issue. But I'm guessing that it shouldn't affect your current plan, you probably would just get a different number for it.

UPDATE: Nevermind. Porting your number DOES require you to cancel your existing contract... something you might not do if you're on a grandfathered unlimited data plan (plus you'd have to pay the termination fee).
https://support.google.com/voice/answer/1065667?hl=en

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
You should be able to reinstate the account with a new number - now with unlimited data, not sure if they would let you. You can call and ask. If they say yes, document it in detail.

Sent from my LG G Pad 8.3

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I've checked a bunch of sites and the recounts are the same: to get your current number ported, your contract must be terminated first (incurring, of course, in ETFs). Some have tried to get around it by adding a second line and then moving to a disposable phone and then trying to get that to Google Voice while the carrier has that number in limbo, but the story is always the same when the carrier cannot transfer the old number unless they cancel the contract first.

But you might get lucky, who knows. All you have to do is ask the carrier, right?

ericizzy1

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I've checked a bunch of sites and the recounts are the same: to get your current number ported, your contract must be terminated first (incurring, of course, in ETFs). Some have tried to get around it by adding a second line and then moving to a disposable phone and then trying to get that to Google Voice while the carrier has that number in limbo, but the story is always the same when the carrier cannot transfer the old number unless they cancel the contract first.

But you might get lucky, who knows. All you have to do is ask the carrier, right?

Port number from VZW but keep service on new number?
what do you think about this way?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm... sounds legit. You might want to try and ask a Verizon rep first, just don't tell them it's to use Google Voice, just tell them you want to keep your number on another company for your wife and get a new number with your current plan for yourself. Or something.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Is there any way to get the number to show up? I've set it up and the calls show up as Unavailable. I won't be using it as a primary since I have unlimited minutes but it may be useful later.

Samsung Galaxy S5 (Verizon)