Using Google Voice as a text Replacement---Business as Usual?

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I am posting in the Verizon forum because I have a special set of circumstances and wanted feedback and advice.

I am on Verizon and have an old Nationwide Plan with Unlimited Data. I've always used Google Voice as a traditional text replacement, since it uses data and doesn't go through the carrier.

I have texting completely blocked through Verizon and don't pay any texting charges.

As a result, I text exclusively through the Google Voice app and the Google Voice website.

Lately, Google Voice has the ability to be integrated with hangouts and there is talk that it can be used as a replacement to the regular Google Voice app.

However, does anyone know if you need to use regular MMS txt through Verizon to accomplish this?

If so, I'll keep things as they are.

Obviously, the thought of receiving Google Voice texts through hangouts is a positive, and I would also like to receive MMS as well, but not at the cost of adding traditional texting and charges to my plan.

I'd rather save the money.

VooDooCC

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
I have my regular sms through Verizon set up to go through the new hangouts as well as my Google voice texts. I got a few texts to my Google voice number today through the hangouts app. They haven't showed up on Verizon's site under text usage, so I assume it still used data like normal.

Edit: You were asking about mms, do you mean pictures? When I send a picture from my Google voice number in hangouts to a regular Verizon number, they get a link view pic. However, when receiving a pic in hangouts from a regular Verizon number, the pic shows up without having to click a link.

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited:

JonK

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
However, does anyone know if you need to use regular MMS txt through Verizon to accomplish this?

The way your question is worded, I am not quite sure exactly what you are asking but I'll try to answer as best I can. Just as before, Google Voice only supports MMS to/from sprint and t-mobile numbers. Before, if a sprint or tmo customer sent you an MMS, you would get the picture as an attachment in gmail. Now it will show up in the hangouts app. The other change is that before it was not possible to send an MMS from your google voice number. Now you can. I have not tried it yet but I presume sending a picture message from google voice to sprint or tmo will work like normal. If you try to send an MMS to an att or vzw number it will send an sms with a link to view the picture. If an att or vzw number sends an mms to your google voice number you will not receive it.

To summarize, mms integration makes sending mms to sprint/tmo possible and receiving easier. Still no support for mms with att/vzw. There are no changes that will affect your billing with your carrier.

JonK

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
However, when receiving a pic in hangouts from a regular Verizon number, the pic shows up without having to click a link.

You received an MMS from a VZW phone number to your google voice number? Are you sure? This would be big news if true. I just tried sending a pic from my att # to my google voice number and the message was swallowed by the void as usual.

VooDooCC

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Yes, although I did send it from my own number, so i don't know that would affect any thing. In the reply box it has "Send SMS to" [my VZW number] "from my Google Voice number"

Posted via the Android Central App

gerrya

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I am on Verizon and using GV and I am unable to receive an MMS from another Verizon number. I get no notification that a text was received, it just vanishes. I can send to Verizon through GV and they get a link.

VooDooCC

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
I am on Verizon and using GV and I am unable to receive an MMS from another Verizon number. I get no notification that a text was received, it just vanishes. I can send to Verizon through GV and they get a link.

You received an MMS from a VZW phone number to your google voice number? Are you sure? This would be big news if true. I just tried sending a pic from my att # to my google voice number and the message was swallowed by the void as usual.

I am PM-ing you both my GVoice number if you would like to send something to me, I can then see if it was just a fluke that mine worked last night.

VooDooCC

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
False alarm everybody. I should have known I was screwing something up. What happened is I had SMS turned on in Hangouts, so when I sent a MMS from my regular texting app, it also appeared in the Hangouts app too. Since I was also trying to send from Hangouts to my verizon number. I got confused on what picture I was sending where.

So sorry to get everybody's hopes up.

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
False alarm everybody. I should have known I was screwing something up. What happened is I had SMS turned on in Hangouts, so when I sent a MMS from my regular texting app, it also appeared in the Hangouts app too. Since I was also trying to send from Hangouts to my verizon number. I got confused on what picture I was sending where.

I think I was a little bit misinformed as well. I rarely ever send pictures, and when I do, I always use email, hangouts, facebook etc.

I also have traditional text messaging blocked on all my Verizon phones, so if someone sends a text to my actual cell number, I won't receive it, so anyone that wants to text me will need to send it to my Google Voice number. It's really the only number I give out anymore.

I was under the impression that when people said GV and Hangouts were integrated that someone could send me an MMS picture text from any carrier to my GV # and I could receive it. However, I didn't know if it would be a problem since I also have traditional texting blocked on my line.

However, it looks like ATT and Verizon are still a no go when it comes to MMS and Google Voice.

My situation may be different than most because I never use my traditional cell # to text, so it wasn't as if I had some texts going to hangouts and some going to the Google Voice app. They were all going to the Google Voice app. Integration doesn't save me anything.

I will agree that Hangouts is more aesthetically pleasing than the Google Voice app, but I have big issues that will keep me from integrating for now:

1) It is easier for me to text from the Google Voice website, while at work, than it is to go through gmail.com and use hangouts. The Google Voice website just involves logging in, clicking TEXT, and sending the message. I can refresh the website at times and see when the person replies.

Integrating GV with Hangouts takes away some of the functionality of the GV website. However, if anyone disagrees or has a solution let me know. Hangouts is still new to me.

2) Hangouts doesn't have an easy way to search conversations. After using Google Voice as my sole means of texting for over 4 years, there is a lot of data archived. I have, at times gone into the app or on the Google Voice website and searched something simple, like: "SAM" or "Sam's address" in order to pull up old texts about Sam or where he used to live. I haven't figured out how to do this in Hangouts.

This may change in the future and, at this point, it's very easy to integrate with Hangouts and then
disintegrate, so nothing is permanent.

On the plus side, though not directly related, I really like the new Hangouts Dialer.

gerrya

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Agreed, I don't even know my Verizon number, I only text from my GV number and this migration has really done nothing for me but consolidate apps.

JonK

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site

Thanks for the feedback. Don't worry, hope is long lost for me when it comes to GV and MMS.

2) Hangouts doesn't have an easy way to search conversations. After using Google Voice as my sole means of texting for over 4 years, there is a lot of data archived. I have, at times gone into the app or on the Google Voice website and searched something simple, like: "SAM" or "Sam's address" in order to pull up old texts about Sam or where he used to live. I haven't figured out how to do this in Hangouts.

This may change in the future and, at this point, it's very easy to integrate with Hangouts and then
disintegrate, so nothing is permanent.

On the plus side, though not directly related, I really like the new Hangouts Dialer.
This. So much this. Google voice is a years-long archive of my text and calling history. Searching it has come in handy many times.

Yes the dialer is cool. GV is now a full on VOIP service that can turn any internet connected device into a phone without a carrier calling/texting plan. No more fumbling with SIP forwarding ect.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1