I did the unthinkable... dropped Verizon UDP

GearHead71

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site
I got rid of unlimited data... :( for now.... (I have until the note 4 ships to cancel before my decision takes affect.)

Here's the quick(ish) version of the story:

My wife and I are grandfathered into unlimited data and use a combined 9 gigs a month. We are currently paying $167 a month for 2 UDPs and 1400 minutes. We have 1 line eligible for an upgrade (hers) and one line within a year of upgrade (mine).

I have been planning on using the BB loophole to keep unlimited data and ordering a Note 4 but when I called Verizon they told me about a deal they are offering with their Edge plan. I have always thought the Edge plan to be a rip off but they are currently offering the plan at $15/month/line instead of $40. That saves us $50 bucks a month for the 2 lines over the normal cost of Edge.

They said that if I switch to Edge I will be "Grandfathered" into the $15/month. They also said I could switch both lines to the Edge and it would cost us $187/month before tax for a Note 4 and an Iphone 6 Plus 64gb (for the wife) and 11 gigs of sharable data.

This is more per month than we are paying now but the math worked out such that if you figure in the cost of new phones at upgrade prices ($300ish) we will actually come out ahead with this Edge plan by:
-About $200 over 2 years if we upgrade each phone once.
-About $1000 over 2 years if we upgrade each phone twice (once per year). This assumed that we would buy 2 phones out of contract for $700 per phone and KEEP our old phones as back ups. That $1000 saved would basically go away if we sell our year old phones.

What do you all think? It kills me to freely give up my unlimited data but since we don't use more than 10 gigs combined and this Edge plan gives us 11 gigs it's tempting. The only thing that is nice is that we can easily upgrade each line once a year.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
If you don't need unlimited data and you can save money by getting rid of it, then I don't see the problem with getting rid of it. Your phone, your bill, and your usage should be your concern. Don't hang onto something because some random people on the internet say you should.

I got rid of my unlimited data plan over a year ago in order to save money, and I don't regret it at all. I'm sure it pisses someone off that I had it and got rid of it, but that's not my problem.

AndroidHabit

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't give up the unlimited data, that's what they want you to do.

You will eventually go over the data plan and wish you never gave up the unlimited plan.

Everything can use your data in the background even if you are not using them.

Be smart and keep the unlimited data plan.
You can always upgrade your phones and keep the unlimited plan.
Don't let them trick you into changing plans, by making other plans look better in the long run.

datagrrl

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
I wouldn't worry too much about going over. You should be able to get them to give you 1 free GB of data a month when you are signing up as that is the current promotion.

You get warnings when you get close. I went online on my 28th day and was able to back date an additional 2 GB for $8 (with employer discount) I did the math and that was cheaper than going over at the overage rate.

We are moving up this month to the 10 GB, plus we have a free GB a month. You need the 10 to get the 15 a line.

The only thing I want clear on is if you understand your wife had to give them her phone and it must be in pretty good condition. I am actually spending the $99 to replace my phone on insurance for only a small chip before going with the early Edge upgrade.

I gave up unlimited because I didn't want to buy a phone for full price. I regretted it at the time because alone I was using 11 GB a month. I no longer travel for work and tether or watch movies as much, so I am not using like that.

Posted via the Android Central App

datagrrl

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
I typed a long response and it disappeared.

I am happy with losing my unlimited data. I was stressed at first, but got over it.

You will get warnings if you get close, you can add more GB at the normal price $10 per 2 GB anytime. You can prorate it or back date it. If tog want to buy the whole two you can or prorate it.

Pay attention and tog arts fine. Make sure you sign up for the warning or use the data widget.

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I got rid of unlimited data... :( for now.... (I have until the note 4 ships to cancel before my decision takes affect.)

My wife and I are grandfathered into unlimited data and use a combined 9 gigs a month. We are currently paying $167 a month for 2 UDPs and 1400 minutes. We have 1 line eligible for an upgrade (hers) and one line within a year of upgrade (mine).

I have been planning on using the BB loophole to keep unlimited data and ordering a Note 4 but when I called Verizon they told me about a deal they are offering with their Edge plan. I have always thought the Edge plan to be a rip off but they are currently offering the plan at $15/month/line instead of $40. That saves us $50 bucks a month for the 2 lines over the normal cost of Edge.

They said that if I switch to Edge I will be "Grandfathered" into the $15/month. They also said I could switch both lines to the Edge and it would cost us $187/month before tax for a Note 4 and an Iphone 6 Plus 64gb (for the wife) and 11 gigs of sharable data.

This is more per month than we are paying now but the math worked out such that if you figure in the cost of new phones at upgrade prices ($300ish) we will actually come out ahead with this Edge plan by:
-About $1000 over 2 years if we upgrade each phone twice (once per year). This assumed that we would buy 2 phones out of contract for $700 per phone and KEEP our old phones as back ups. That $1000 saved would basically go away if we sell our year old phones.

What do you all think? It kills me to freely give up my unlimited data but since we don't use more than 10 gigs combined and this Edge plan gives us 11 gigs it's tempting. The only thing that is nice is that we can easily upgrade each line once a year.
To properly compare the plans you should be selling the phones in a year of you get new phones. I feel it is not a fair comparison if you do not.

I feel it is not worth giving up unlimited for that deal, especially because the cost per month is higher. Is your usage going to go up? I know my usage had steadily gone up over the years. My wife used to use a gig of data on her razr. She now uses 4 on her 5s.

TechNut79

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't give up the unlimited data, that's what they want you to do.

You will eventually go over the data plan and wish you never gave up the unlimited plan.

Everything can use your data in the background even if you are not using them.

Be smart and keep the unlimited data plan.
You can always upgrade your phones and keep the unlimited plan.
Don't let them trick you into changing plans, by making other plans look better in the long run.

The unlimited plan will eventually go away. You're just deluding yourself if you think otherwise.

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
The unlimited plan will eventually go away. You're just deluding yourself if you think otherwise.

I am sure it will go away eventually. I plan on keeping it as long as I can. I just locked into another 2 year contract.

AndroidHabit

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site

Maybe but you don't know when it will, it could 5-10 years from now.
Better to have unlimited data during that time then having to pay for little data plans that you WILL go over.

The only downfall to having unlimited data on AT&T is you can't have wifi hot spot/ tethering.
There are other ways to get around this though...

GearHead71

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site
I wouldn't worry too much about going over. You should be able to get them to give you 1 free GB of data a month when you are signing up as that is the current promotion.

You get warnings when you get close. I went online on my 28th day and was able to back date an additional 2 GB for $8 (with employer discount) I did the math and that was cheaper than going over at the overage rate.

We are moving up this month to the 10 GB, plus we have a free GB a month. You need the 10 to get the 15 a line.

The only thing I want clear on is if you understand your wife had to give them her phone and it must be in pretty good condition. I am actually spending the $99 to replace my phone on insurance for only a small chip before going with the early Edge upgrade.

I gave up unlimited because I didn't want to buy a phone for full price. I regretted it at the time because alone I was using 11 GB a month. I no longer travel for work and tether or watch movies as much, so I am not using like that.

Thanks for the reply. They did tell me I needed to trade in my phone. I have a 2 year old galaxy s3 that was recently replace for free so there are no crazy in the screen or anything. There's a very small chip on the bottom of the phone though. I wonder if they will matter. Was your chip on the screen or phone?

GearHead71

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site
To properly compare the plans you should be selling the phones in a year of you get new phones. I feel it is not a fair comparison if you do not.

I feel it is not worth giving up unlimited for that deal, especially because the cost per month is higher. Is your usage going to go up? I know my usage had steadily gone up over the years. My wife used to use a gig of data on her razr. She now uses 4 on her 5s.

You are correct. That $1000 savings over 2 years would be if we didn't sell our phones after the year. If we do still them and can get 500 a piece then we would effectively break even.

Right now we use about 10 gigs combined but we never have our wifi turned on since Verizon 4g is faster than our wifi. If we get better about using wifi we could get our usage down more.

GearHead71

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site
Is VZW really your only viable option?

Kind of. I have a very strong dislike of att and their service isn't as good here. We get ZERO T-mobile service at our house. I would consider switching to Sprint but everything I've heard right now is that their service is terrible while they are switching their network over. Once it's done I might go with them.

Posted via Android Central App

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Do what is best for your family, but keep in mind that the free 1gb is a promotion, after 2 years, it will go away, leaving you with 10gb. Also, if you go over 10gb,you will either have to pay overage or move to the next tier. Also keep in mind that data usage would most likely keep increasing over the years. This is true even if doing the same activity - websites are getting more graphics, youtube would use more data if you have a QHD phone, expect about 3gb per hour, compared to 400mb per hour at standard resolution.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Maybe but you don't know when it will, it could 5-10 years from now.
Better to have unlimited data during that time then having to pay for little data plans that you WILL go over.

The only downfall to having unlimited data on AT&T is you can't have wifi hot spot/ tethering.
There are other ways to get around this though...

The AT&T unlimited data plan also has a hard cap. After 5 GB you get throttled to really bad speeds.. It's one reason I left them many years ago.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
The AT&T unlimited data plan also has a hard cap. After 5 GB you get throttled to really bad speeds.. It's one reason I left them many years ago.
From what I read, well under 1mbps. On Verizon, I have used over 1,000 times AT&T's cap, and no throttling so far.

Sent from my LG G Pad 8.3

GearHead71

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site
Do what is best for your family, but keep in mind that the free 1gb is a promotion, after 2 years, it will go away, leaving you with 10gb. Also, if you go over 10gb,you will either have to pay overage or move to the next tier. Also keep in mind that data usage would most likely keep increasing over the years. This is true even if doing the same activity - websites are getting more graphics, youtube would use more data if you have a QHD phone, expect about 3gb per hour, compared to 400mb per hour at standard resolution.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

The QHD is a good point. I didn't think about YouTube videos. I'll have to set the resolution to 1080 or even 720 when not on WiFi (but then that kinda defeats the point of having such an awesome screen...)

Posted via Android Central App

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I gave up UL almost a year ago and have never gone over my new 6GB/mo plan. My reason for holding onto it was no home internet and I would use around 40GB/mo regularly. Now with home WiFi I rarely go over 2GB in one month and usually less than 1GB, and this is only using home WiFi, never when out and about, then only LTE. So it was a good deal for me and my usage. Good deal for others? Maybe yes, maybe no. Totally dependent on persernal situations. With throttling coming up next month tho those on UL plans may be in for a rather rude awakening. This will be Verizon's ace in the hole. Don't doubt it for a minute.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
From what I read, well under 1mbps. On Verizon, I have used over 1,000 times AT&T's cap, and no throttling so far.

Sent from my LG G Pad 8.3

Yep. Here are my buddies speeds after being throttled recently on his AT&T "unlimited" plan.

Attachments

• 1411489559487.jpg
    1411489559487.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 60

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech