Can I transferring upgrades when buying a phone from a third party?

minime1327

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Transferring upgrades and buying phone from third party?

I am a part of a family plan. There is one line A (iphone) that is eligible for upgrade. My line B (samsung note 2) is not eligible for upgrade. I understand you can transfer upgrades through verizon and buy a new device then and there. The phone I would like to purchase is $.01 on amazon.com vs. $100 on verizon (htc one remix).

It's been very unclear throughout my research as to what is the best method to transfer the upgrade from line A to Line B and buy from amazon vs verizon.

From what I understand, I order the phone on amazon on line A (iphone). Upon receiving the device, activate on line A. Once activated, "switch lines" between A (now htc one remix) and B (samsung). Once switch takes place, re-activate the iphone to line A(now samsung after switch).

Does anyone have any experience with this type of move? Would there be a fee from amazon for switching lines too early? Any guidance and help is greatly appreciated..

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Re: Transferring upgrades and buying phone from third party?

From my understanding Amazon has a second ETF if you switch the phone from the line. From my understanding people have only been charged if they dropped the data off the donor line.

So if you do what you are planning, your 1 cent phone might end up costing you $350.01. I do think it is a small risk, but could happen.

Last edited:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Small risk though, I haven't heard of anyone getting charged for that situation

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

minime1327

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site

It's on the terms and conditions. I don't believe this will be an option.

I can't paste the link as I don't have enough points, but below is the excerpt, draw your attention to the fourth bullet point.

Instant Discount Policy
When you purchase your device with service from Amazon.com, we automatically pass along an instant discount based on a commission paid to Amazon by your wireless service carrier. The commission depends upon your continued service, and if you do not maintain your service for 181 days from the service activation date, Amazon must return the commission to the carrier. Thus, this discount has been provided to you in good faith based on your agreement to (a) activate a new or extend an existing line of service for the device(s) with the carrier for two years, (b) maintain this line of service in good standing, and (c) not alter the line of service type other than adding an additional line of service to an individual account for at least 181 consecutive days.

The following are some scenarios where we may determine that you have not maintained your service and have not met the requirements listed above:

• If your device with the carrier is not activated per Amazon's activation instructions within 14 days
  • If your service is canceled/disconnected before 181 days and you do not return the device(s) to Amazon
  • If a new individual or new family account is merged with or replaces a pre-existing account
  • If you transfer this equipment to another carrier's service or to another line in your family account and deactivate the line that Amazon established for your device

By accepting this Instant Discount Policy, you agree to repay $400 per smart phone or tablet and $200 per other device if you do not maintain your carrier service for 181 consecutive days from the service activation date. You also authorize us to collect that amount using any credit card we have on record for you. Amazon can periodically check your account status with the carrier to confirm your line of service is active and in good standing and thereby confirm you are in compliance with this policy.

The Instant Discount Policy will not be applied if you cancel your order and return the device(s) within our 30-day return period. You must return your device(s) to Amazon within the carrier's 14-day return period in order to avoid the carrier's Early Termination Fees (ETF). If your purchase was an upgrade, your upgrade eligibility will not be reset unless you return your device to Amazon within the carrier's 14-day return period.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz