Edge concern

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Honestly I think my best bet is to enter into a new 2 year agreement and then switch to t-mobile next year when I need to add on another line for my other son. Get reimbursed for the ETF fee and get the 4 line family plan on t mobile. Verizon is rubbing me the wrong way and are just too damn expensive. I'm lucky enough to be in a full coverage area on t-mobile to have this option.

Posted via the Android Central App
If your in a full coverage area for tmobile that is probably a good option. What plan are you on now?

Sent from my Note 4 using Tapatalk.

DarkUncle

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
If your in a full coverage area for tmobile that is probably a good option. What plan are you on now?

I'm on the more everything plan with three lines sharing 3gb which I'm paying over $200/mo. Next year I will need to go up to 4 lines though and probably up the data another gig or so. So that's why t-mobile's 4 line plan caught my eye.

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm on the more everything plan with three lines sharing 3gb which I'm paying over $200/mo. Next year I will need to go up to 4 lines though and probably up the data another gig or so. So that's why t-mobile's 4 line plan caught my eye.

Just remember you will need to add the cost of the phone to the cost. The one nice thing is you can probably use your Verizon phones on tmobile. That could save you some money.

oscarnyc

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
another perk of EDGE is that by separating the device from the service plan it reduces taxes, which can matter a lot depending on your state. I'm in NJ. Used to pay about 18% tax rate on my overall subsidized plan. On EDGE I paid the 7% sales tax up front, but then the higher taxes only on the service portion. It ends up saving me about $5/month (assuming I amortize the device tax over 24 months).
I have the old 24month/50% plan, which was a no-brainer for a high data using android user. At 75% it may just make more sense to buy it elsewhere (Motorola often offers their own financing and/or special sales) rather than from Verizon.

mpciii

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
I have been looking into this for my wife because she is almost out if contract. We have a family plan with 2 smartphones and a jetpack. We have over 10gb of data so we'd get the $25 discount. If I'm reading this correct we'd basically be getting a phone for free if we get one that is $25 a month or less. If I get my wife the S5 which is $25 a month we save that $25 a month from our plan with the discount so it's a wash. Better deal than paying $200 for the s5 on contact and still paying the same per month. The only issue I have is if we can keep the phone once it is payed off. My wife doesn't upgrade often and we usually use our old phones as mini WiFi tablets for the kids when we are done.

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I have been looking into this for my wife because she is almost out if contract. We have a family plan with 2 smartphones and a jetpack. We have over 10gb of data so we'd get the $25 discount. If I'm reading this correct we'd basically be getting a phone for free if we get one that is $25 a month or less. If I get my wife the S5 which is $25 a month we save that $25 a month from our plan with the discount so it's a wash. Better deal than paying $200 for the s5 on contact and still paying the same per month. The only issue I have is if we can keep the phone once it is payed off. My wife doesn't upgrade often and we usually use our old phones as mini WiFi tablets for the kids when we are done.
Once it is paid off you should be able to keep it. I believe you only need to turn it in when you edge up, or go into the edge program under contract.

I think it is a better deal. Some people say you even can save money on the taxes.

oscarnyc

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
once it is fully paid off you can keep the phone. and if she keeps using it after it has been paid off your bill will go down as well, which is nice as phones are maturing and we don't see the huge YoY improvements.

DarkUncle

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
Hi all,

Just confirmed with a verizon rep that you can keep the phone if paid off 100% even if you've only had it for a few months.

But one bad thing for me was that I cannot enter an edge agreement at best buy where I have my phone pre-order. It has to be done directly through a verizon store or on their website.

BlueBlazer60

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site

According to the Verizon website when you complete the payment schedule of your EDGE plan the line discount will continue and the phone is your property. If/When at some in the future you want to change phones, you can return to a standard two year contract or an other EDGE plan WITHOUT trading in your phone.

noordzy77

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,

Just confirmed with a verizon rep that you can keep the phone if paid off 100% even if you've only had it for a few months.

But one bad thing for me was that I cannot enter an edge agreement at best buy where I have my phone pre-order. It has to be done directly through a verizon store or on their website.

Are you sure? In a thread I created in this forum, several people have confirmed that Best Buy can in fact do an edge upgrade. I am going there tomorrow to check for sure.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I understand the whole principal of this program but I'm very put off by two points that I would like to make sure I'm understanding completely.

1) let's say I make my edge payments over the course of the 2 years and thereby payoff my device. I choose not to upgrade right away because I'm waiting for a specific phone release. My payments do not go down even though my device is paid off and mine to keep. True?

2) I make my edge payments for 12 months and decide I want to upgrade my device. I then walk into a verizon and decide to pay off my device 100% so I can keep it and sell it to recoup money . Except I'm not able to edge up unless I then surrender the device I've now completely paid off because I'm under 2 years. Is that correct?

If either one of these is yes, especially #2, then this is a terrible plan and a waste of money.

So unless you **** 75% of the phone's value away on payments you have made just to get a new phone, you're locked into a 2 year agreement on said device anyway if you wish to keep it.

This sounds more like a rental agreement than anything else. A very expensive one for those that like to have a new phone more often than 2 years.

!. After you complete the program OR pay the device in full its yours to keep.

2. Long story short, they Edged the wrong line so, I was not able to get the monthly discount so, I paid the device off in full and the device is mine to keep. I made 10 payments towards the 24 on the Edge program so, I owed something like $300 at the time of the payoff.

DarkUncle

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
Are you sure? In a thread I created in this forum, several people have confirmed that Best Buy can in fact do an edge upgrade. I am going there tomorrow to check for sure.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

Apparently the verizon rep and her supervisor I was chatting with didn't know what they were talking about. I called Verizon, got another rep on the phone and asked her the same question. She looked into and called Best Buy while I was on hold. She came back and said Best Buy CAN indeed do Edge contracts as well.