Can Verizon Lock your phone from other carrier uses?

MatixMovies

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
I went into the metro pcs store and tried to hook up the note 3 from Verizon he told me that if I did not have my two year contract paid off through Verizon that the note 3 would be locked and he would not be able to hook it up. Has anyone heard of this? He said that because of the two year contract Verizon has something in the phone where if you don't pay it off and they can completely lock the phone?!?

Posted via the Android Central App

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Yes they can and probably will lock the phone, if you don't fulfill your 2 year contract or pay etf. It is to ensure that people don't get a subsidized phone and jump ship without paying etf.

In reality, Verizon can only block usage on their network, however, carriers share blacklist, so in reality, it is metropcs not allowing you to activate the blacklisted phone.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Basically, yes they can lock it if it isn't paid off. You can either pay it off my fulfilling the 2 year contract or by paying etf

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
As dpham said you have to pay the ETF or fulfill the contract. If you don't the phone will be blacklisted and not usable on any carrier.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
EtF's are not really that bad. Since you get to keep the phone afterwards which you could then sell to recoup a chunk of the ETF fee. Certainly not the ideal situation to be in but it makes biting the bullet on a ETF at least somewhat palatable