Verizon increases Asurion insurance premium to $7.15; Total Equipment Coverage to $9; Total Mobile Protection $11

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Verizon increases Asurion insurance premium to $7.15; Total Equipment Coverage to $9; Total Mobile Protection $11

Saw this in Verizon's website. It will probably hit current subscribers soon. Before it was $5.18, $8, and $10 for asurion and TEC, respectively. Extended warranty remains unchanged at $3. Note that premium is for android.

Equipment Protection Programs | Verizon Wireless

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

Knyte

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I guess that is the price of lowering the data plans.. Jack up the price elsewhere to recoup lost revenue

Posted via Android Central App

TENYKS

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
Article didn't say anything about current customers. If you already have the $5.18 on your plan, do we stay at that price?

I'm wondering the same thing.

Verizon's next price hike will be a $1 monthly fee for customers who have cases on their phones. Another 50 cents if you have a screen protector on. Just like airlines charge you to check bags.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Article didn't say anything about current customers. If you already have the $5.18 on your plan, do we stay at that price?
Not likely. They will probably give you a few months before it applies to existing customers, but it would likely come. At least that is what happened last time they did a price hike

TENYKS

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
Not likely. They will probably give you a few months before it applies to existing customers, but it would likely come. At least that is what happened last time they did a price hike

unless hundreds of thousands of existing Verizon customer start protesting....

but most will probably not do anything and just pay the $1 increase. Heck, most probably wont' even notice. :)

nugj

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Staggering how often people immediately lurch to blaming the carrier. This is insurance provided by a third party underwriter. They all have their actuarial tables. Don't you think it possible that the underwriter is seeing higher replacement cost plus higher claims based on these huge "smartphones" that are too big to protect, too easy too hurt and costly too replace.

I have one myself. So I am not immune. But I seriously doubt Verizon has much to do with this increase.

Asurioncares

May 31, 2013
Visit site
Insurance costs are directly related to the cost of the device. Technological advances such as camera phones, Bluetooth and advanced data capabilities increase the cost of devices and the possibility of technological failure. Your deductible was created to provide you with the right coverage at the right price! Please know that these changes do not affect equipment that is currently enrolled in our coverage. The changes however will affect new Verizon customers or any existing customers that upgrade their device.

TENYKS

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
Insurance costs are directly related to the cost of the device. Technological advances such as camera phones, Bluetooth and advanced data capabilities increase the cost of devices and the possibility of technological failure. Your deductible was created to provide you with the right coverage at the right price! Please know that these changes do not affect equipment that is currently enrolled in our coverage. The changes however will affect new Verizon customers or any existing customers that upgrade their device.

Are you an employee of Asurion? If so, I've got a question for ya. (could never get a straight answer from Verizon reps :D)

I added Verizon TEC when I bought my Galaxy Note 2. Asurion replaced it when I dropped the Note 2 in water. A few months after that, I upgraded to the S5 and just kept on paying the $8 fee per month for TEC. Another few months after that, I bought a Galaxy Note 3(full retail price) and put it on the same line. The $8 TEC fee continued to be billed monthly without interruption. I just put the S5 back on the same line last month. Again, no change to the $8. I frequently swap these three phones around on the same line.(same SIM card, just swap from phone to phone every a couple of weeks)

Which one of these 3 phones is actually covered under TEC if the screen is broken or something?

These are some of the answers I heard from several different Verizon supervisors:

1. whichever phone the sim card is in at time of phone damage/loss/theft
2. whichever phone I choose
3. all three phones are covered (she said it's loophole)
4. unsure, can't say until I actually file a claim by calling Asurion

Asurioncares

May 31, 2013
Visit site
Are you an employee of Asurion? If so, I've got a question for ya. (could never get a straight answer from Verizon reps :D)

I added Verizon TEC when I bought my Galaxy Note 2. Asurion replaced it when I dropped the Note 2 in water. A few months after that, I upgraded to the S5 and just kept on paying the $8 fee per month for TEC. Another few months after that, I bought a Galaxy Note 3(full retail price) and put it on the same line. The $8 TEC fee continued to be billed monthly without interruption. I just put the S5 back on the same line last month. Again, no change to the $8. I frequently swap these three phones around on the same line.(same SIM card, just swap from phone to phone every a couple of weeks)

Which one of these 3 phones is actually covered under TEC if the screen is broken or something?

These are some of the answers I heard from several different Verizon supervisors:

1. whichever phone the sim card is in at time of phone damage/loss/theft
2. whichever phone I choose
3. all three phones are covered (she said it's loophole)
4. unsure, can't say until I actually file a claim by calling Asurion

Hi TENYKS,

The insurance follows your line rather than the phone. We will look at the model in use at the time that the phone was either damaged, lost or stolen.