Looking for guidance on how to work this out...

MRW1215

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
I've been on a fairly old family plan for a number of years now, with me and my parents. I'm not the primary account holder, my dad is. I have a smart phone, and they have basic phones. The bill is roughly $140 a month, total.

When my contract is up, I'd like to get onto my own individual plan. However, due to the timing of new phone purchases, my contract runs for almost another year, while my parents are both eligible for upgrade now.

The thing is, I'm trying to help my parents out, because my mom has an interest in getting a smart phone, but my dad does not, and they want to keep their bill as low as possible. I'm not sure what the best option for them would be.

What I'm confused about, though, is that if they alter their current plan in a drastic way, where does that leave me? Because of my contract not being up for another several months, but me not being the primary account holder, I don't understand where I'd be left in the mix.

So, can anyone advise me on how to, well, advise my parents on what the best options would be for them? And any info on what that would mean for my status?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Upgrades are handled on a per line basis, rather than on an account basis - so if you upgraded your mother's to a smartphone and made no other changes, other than the price to the account, there shouldn't be any impact on your line.

MRW1215

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Right, but it seems like it might make more sense to alter the plan altogether. As it is, there's no unlimited talk, and they're each paying extra for unlimited texting. I wonder if it might be better for them to change things up and possibly get a better value?

I've been trying to figure out if there'd be any better value in them switching to prepaid Verizon plans, or individual accounts, due to my dad's lack of interest in a smart phone (thus, shared data would be kind of a waste with just my mom using it). And if they went that route, how would that work for me?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Are the other lines under contract? How much data does each line use?

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

MRW1215

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Are the other lines under contract? How much data does each line use?

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

They're under contract, but it's coming up at the end of this week (mine still goes through much of next year).

Neither of them have smart phones right now, so neither of them have data. My mom is interested in getting a smart phone, though.

MRW1215

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
I guess what I'm asking is, what's the cheapest "plan" (whether it's prepaid or otherwise) one could have for a smart phone on Verizon, and what's the cheapest "plan" (again, prepaid, or otherwise) one could have for a basic phone on Verizon? Would it be a better deal for them to go prepaid? Especially with my mom being interested in a smart phone and my dad not so much?

I also wonder, how, exactly, does the prepaid plan work? Does one have to buy service regularly, or can you just have it set to autopay so you don't have to worry about it? Is there a Verizon "account" for this prepaid service? Also, looking at the prepaid smart phone plan, I'm a bit confused. There's an option for 500MB of a data for 30 days for $5, then an option for 1GB for 90 days, for $10. But wouldn't the 500MB/month for $5 be the better deal? How does that work out?

And let's say that both my parents switched out to prepaid service right now. Where would that leave me? I can't technically change the terms of my current contract, but if they both split off onto prepaid accounts, that would leave one individual (me) on a family plan. How would that work out?

unklsckness

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Check out these prepaid Straight Talk you can use AT&T 4G and & T-Mobile 4G with 3GB Data limit and Verizon 3G. You pick want you want with them. Cricket is now and an AT&T prepaid service. Pageplus uses Verizon network.

Posted via Android Central App

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
The cheapest dumb phone prepaid plans use the pay as you option. Verizon also offers a $50/month prepaid 4g/3g plan.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Verizon more everything plan 500mb:

Data : $20
Line access charge for smartphone off contract :$25
Line access charge for on contract :$40
Line access for dumb phone off contract $20

If you want the cheapest monthly fee, pay etf then you will be paying $90 for 3 lines, 2 smartphones, 1 dumb phone all off contract.

It might be cheaper to keep the phone on contract than to pay etf.

If both of your parents left then you would be moved to an individual plan. Pricing can vary, but the current base is $40 for 450 minutes and $30 for 2gb/UDP, or $70 total for your line. Additional minutes or data would cost more. Or you can move to the single line plan, $60 for 1gb,$75 for 2gb,unlimited talk and text

kj11

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I don't know how it works going from a family plan to your own individual plan, but I think you and your parents can fill out an assumption of liability that would get you off the family plan and onto your own.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781