Verizon's former parent company to start USA wireless service as a T-Mobile MVNO

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Interesting choice that Vodafone, Verizon's former parent company decided to start a USA wireless network as a T-Mobile mvno. This is only for enterprise users but just wondering why they didn't partner with Verizon. Though it makes some sense as both utilize gsm networks, so it could be a compatibility issue

http://www.androidcentral.com/vodaf...vices-us-based-enterprise-customers-next-year

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

palandri

Apr 30, 2009
Visit site
I would think it has to be compatibility. Verizon is a CDMA/LTE carrier. T-Mobile is a GSM/LTE carrier. Not all phones have LTE yet and CDMA phones have no SIM card, plus they are locked to a carrier.

CharlesH

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
Interesting choice that Vodafone, Verizon's former parent company decided to start a USA wireless network as a T-Mobile mvno. This is only for enterprise users but just wondering why they didn't partner with Verizon. Though it makes some sense as both utilize gsm networks, so it could be a compatibility issue
Vodaphone was never the parent of Verizon. Vodaphone and Verizon (Verizon Communication, more precisely) are independent companies. Verizon Wireless used to be a partnership between Vodaphone and Verizon, with Verizon being the 55% partner. Verizon bought out Vodaphone's share of Verizon Wireless, and Verizon Wireless is now a part of Verizon.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Vodaphone was never the parent of Verizon. Vodaphone and Verizon (Verizon Communication, more precisely) are independent companies. Verizon Wireless used to be a partnership between Vodaphone and Verizon, with Verizon being the 55% partner. Verizon bought out Vodaphone's share of Verizon Wireless, and Verizon Wireless is now a part of Verizon.
You are correct that it was a joint venture between Vodaphone and at the time Bell Atlantic. Vodaphone through its Airtouch assets brought the west and Midwest States while bell Atlantic brought eastern states. With regards to subscribers, Verizon brought 55%, Vodaphone 45%. With that, I think that it is a fair assessment to call Vodaphone a parent company of Verizon.

There are companies that operate independently of their parent company.

Also, I have seen it in multiple sources calling both Vodaphone and Verizon Communications as the parent company of Verizon Wireless before the buyout.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Artistnos