Is VZW Edge worth it in my situation?

Oj467

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
So both my wife's and my Galaxy S4's are eligible for upgrades.

We are on an old unlimited data plan with VZW - and also have 2 dumb phones (for my dad and her mom) that I pay for.

Our monthly bill (with a small discount from a company I represent) is $197 for like 700 talk time and 1000 txt messages with unlimited data.

I realize I'll lose unlimited data by upgrading but I've watched our usage and it's never been over 3gb in any month for well over 2 years. I'd like to get a Note 4 and she wants an iPhone 6 + but I'm trying to sway her to Note as well.

I stopped by VZW the other day just to confirm that tethering is free and will work on both devices we're looking at on a tiered plan. After verifying it would w/o any additional fees the guy proceeded to price out me upgrading and paying the fee vs. swapping to Edge.

On paper it appears to be about a wash price'wise on the monthly payment - however if we keep our new phones past the 2 year mark it seems like Edge is a better deal as the monthly payment on them drops off at that point. We're both at the point in our life where that's very possible as long as the phones work. I have the money to pay for both phones at upgrade cost - but it's also tempting have very little out of pocket upfront costs with Edge if the monthly bill stays the same anyway.

So is Edge a good deal in our situation? I'm leaning toward the new 6gb tiered plan that just started today. Another thing I forgot to verify is if BOTH new phones can go on Edge or not - I don't see why not.

Thanks for any replies.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Question -- What plan would you be going with? Such as in how many GB and such?

I do know the "upgrade fee" wouldn't apply since you would be going edge but .. that just gets replaced with an "activation fee" instead (they still always get you) -- UNLESS -- the rep said he will waive it (they do that sometimes).

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
I would personally go with Edge.

Not only do you save money up front, but you also end up saving even more after you pay off the phone in two years. With the two year agreement, you don't see any discounts after your contract is up.

From what we've been told by VZW, your activation fee or it's waived.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Keep in mind that data usage tends to go up over time. However, if you are absolutely sure that you will not exceed 6gb ever then I think it can be worth it. You are looking at $130 for 4 smartphones off contract. Keep the two s4's and let the 2 basic lines use them. You would be paying $30ish for the 2 smartphone lines, so you would be paying $190 before discounts. With discounts, even less. Plus, you don't have to shell out 2x $300 for the Note 4 and 6p up front, so in essence, you are saivng an additional $10-$13 per month per line there.

4 smartphones off contract - 4 x $15 = $60
6gb - $70
2 smartphones on edge - 2 x $30 = $60
Total monthly = $190.

The remaining lines can remain off-contract. It is cheaper to have an off-contract smart phone at $15 than a basic phone at $20.

So if you are absolutely sure that your data usage would never exceed 6gb, then it would be worth it to you financially to move to the More Everything Plan.

And yes, both new phones can go on Edge, if you qualify (have good enough credit).

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Question -- What plan would you be going with? Such as in how many GB and such?

I do know the "upgrade fee" wouldn't apply since you would be going edge but .. that just gets replaced with an "activation fee" instead (they still always get you) -- UNLESS -- the rep said he will waive it (they do that sometimes).
Activation fee is only for new lines of service. Existing lines are never charged an activation fee. The only exception is if the line is canceled, then you would be charged a fee to activate it again

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

Oj467

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Thanks guys. I may stop by my VZW corporate store to pin them down on exact numbers over my lunch break.

As far as data usage for us goes - we're on wifi at home all the time - and I'm on my office's wifi all day while my wife isn't permitted a cell phone at her place of employment (security reasons) - so I can't see our data usage skyrocketing anytime soon.

I appreciate all the replies! Now to just get her onboard for a Note 4 rather than an iPhone 6 + (the whole continuity/handoff thing between IOS devices is pretty intriguing though and we both have iPad Air 2's).

Eli_C

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Don't just give up unlimited. You can sell your unlimited plan on ebay (assumption of liability).

anon(18763)

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I think they have recently closed the assumption of liability loophole for unlimited accounts.

Posted via the Android Central App

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
They did close the loophole for consumer lines. Business accounts can under certain conditions assume liability of an unlimited line. It is ymmv though

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Thanks guys. I may stop by my VZW corporate store to pin them down on exact numbers over my lunch break.

As far as data usage for us goes - we're on wifi at home all the time - and I'm on my office's wifi all day while my wife isn't permitted a cell phone at her place of employment (security reasons) - so I can't see our data usage skyrocketing anytime soon.

I appreciate all the replies! Now to just get her onboard for a Note 4 rather than an iPhone 6 + (the whole continuity/handoff thing between IOS devices is pretty intriguing though and we both have iPad Air 2's).

I have an iPad Air 2 cellular and note 4 and tbh I like the idea but not enough to buy an iPhone 6 plus. I was considering buying an iPhone but was for other reasons . The note 4 I chose in the end because it was cheaper on edge at $29 and change vs $35 a month for the 6 plus

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mdk32014

Banned
Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
U may want to try and sell the unlimited plan otherwise i woyld keep it and go to Best Buy or something and pay on the phone like for 12 months and I payment installment plan. I'm not sure they do this for phones or not. I would assume that they would after I see these unlimited data plans going for 350 to 400 dollars. If I had unlimited data on my phone but I would have to kill me to get rid of it. Haptic you may also want to try Amazon I have found some good prices on there. Does it have to be the newest phones or what an older model such as a note 3 be okay with you. Your wife and get a note 3 as well that is still a very nice phone. Patapon

Posted via the Android Central App

Eli_C

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Verizon was giving special deals to get you off unlimited. At least check into that before giving it up.

mdk32014

Banned
Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
It better be a good deal but i agree take all u can get $10 for 5 gb or something i would keep it just to make them mad lol. That was good verizon in the good old days unlimited data $30 a month

jcash3

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
It better be a good deal but i agree take all u can get $10 for 5 gb or something i would keep it just to make them mad lol. That was good verizon in the good old days unlimited data $30 a month

I'm paying less than $10/mo for unlimited data after using an unpublished promo from a couple of years ago... They keep trying to sell me some crap plan that is over $15/mo more. Why would I do that and lose my unlimited data?

Joe378

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm paying less than $10/mo for unlimited data after using an unpublished promo from a couple of years ago... They keep trying to sell me some crap plan that is over $15/mo more. Why would I do that and lose my unlimited data?

Same with me. I have 2 unlimited lines for that price. I'll never give it up.

Posted via Android Central App

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

Some people rather upgrade phones then have unlimited Data ....and not pay full price up front for the phone

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BlueBlazer60

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
I would personally go with Edge.

Not only do you save money up front, but you also end up saving even more after you pay off the phone in two years. With the two year agreement, you don't see any discounts after your contract is up.

From what we've been told by VZW, your activation fee or it's waived.

The statement about no discounts for standard contracts is incorrect. The line credit is available for standard contract phones after your two years contract is complete. When your phone is listed as "month to month" by Verizon, you just have to call and ask for the credit to be added to your account. The credit is the standard 15 or 25 based on your data purchase. My monthly bill reflects this credit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy