UDP Question - Family Plan + Basic Line

drumr1829

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

I'm trying to get clarification on exactly what I should be doing here to retain my UDP.

I'm on a family plan with just my wife; she has a flip phone without data and wants to go to the MotoX. I have an old Thunderbolt and want to eventually get the Galaxy S6. We are both month to month and have an upgrade available.

On the Verizon site, I tried upgrading only my wife's phone but it appeared as if it would change both of our data plans to the more everything plan. I can't say for sure as I didn't want to advance any further through the options and risk changing my UDP. I'll eventually do the sim card/Best buy workaround with my phone but for now just want to upgrade hers. If needed I can post a screenshot.

Thanks for the help!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Any change, even just a new phone, and the UDP is gone. You'll have to buy the S6 outright from another vendor (look on Amazon).

Your wife will have to get a separate plan. Adding data to her phone will kill the UDP. Anything you do with Verizon, other than pay the bill every month, will kill the UDP.

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I'm trying to get clarification on exactly what I should be doing here to retain my UDP.

I'm on a family plan with just my wife; she has a flip phone without data and wants to go to the MotoX. I have an old Thunderbolt and want to eventually get the Galaxy S6. We are both month to month and have an upgrade available.

On the Verizon site, I tried upgrading only my wife's phone but it appeared as if it would change both of our data plans to the more everything plan. I can't say for sure as I didn't want to advance any further through the options and risk changing my UDP. I'll eventually do the sim card/Best buy workaround with my phone but for now just want to upgrade hers. If needed I can post a screenshot.

Thanks for the help!

You can upgrade your wife's phone to a Moto X and this can be done in store or online without affecting your unlimited data plan.

drumr1829

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
You can upgrade your wife's phone to a Moto X and this can be done in store or online without affecting your unlimited data plan.

Thanks but this contradicts Rukbat's post so I'm confused....By upgrading the phone I'll also have to add data to her plan which will just be the more everything (i'm fine with that). I just want to know for sure if I upgrade her phone and add data through the website I will be able to retain my UDP.

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
Thanks but this contradicts Rukbat's post so I'm confused....By upgrading the phone I'll also have to add data to her plan which will just be the more everything (i'm fine with that). I just want to know for sure if I upgrade her phone and add data through the website I will be able to retain my UDP.

One of the ways to keeping an unlimited data plan is to upgrade a basic line but never actually activate the smartphone on the basic line. Instead, the new smartphone gets activated directly on to the unlimited line. That's why I know that you can just upgrade the basic to a smartphone without affecting your unlimited plan.

Because she wants a Moto X, you can do this through Motorola's website if you want. This can also be done through Best Buy or even in a Verizon store.

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

Also, what you are seeing is correct. You'll convert the basic line to a More Everything smartphone plan, but only for that line. It will not affect your unlimited.

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
Interesting. Just out of curiosity, have you done this? Thanks!

Personally? No, I have not, but look at the keeping unlimited thread. You'll see lots of examples of people "upgrading" their basic line as a way of getting a new phone for their unlimited line. The only difference with you is that you'll actually go through with the basic upgrade.

Posted via Android Central App

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
i think that you should be able to activate a smartphone on the line first, then do the upgrade. i believe that that should let you keep the line on your legacy plan

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Any change, even just a new phone, and the UDP is gone. You'll have to buy the S6 outright from another vendor (look on Amazon).

Your wife will have to get a separate plan. Adding data to her phone will kill the UDP. Anything you do with Verizon, other than pay the bill every month, will kill the UDP.

You can upgrade non unlimited lines and keep unlimited data on another line. You can use a loophole to upgrade the unlimited line and keep unlimited.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

This isn't true Ruk -- As long as you don't upgrade. If you buy a phone full price you can keep UDP.

drumr1829

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
This isn't true Ruk -- As long as you don't upgrade. If you buy a phone full price you can keep UDP.

I won't upgrade my UDP line through Verizon, I would do the sim card workaround if anything later on when the Galaxy S6 comes out.

For now, I'm mainly concerned with ONLY upgrading my wife's flip phone through the Verizon website and retaining my UDP in doing so. If she goes to the new 2GB data plan I'm fine with that.

drumr1829

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Hi All,

Just reporting back that I upgraded my wife's phone and retained my UDP. I confirmed with the Verizon rep that data changes on one phone within the family plan do not effect data plan changes to other phones within that family plan.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Hi All,

Just reporting back that I upgraded my wife's phone and retained my UDP. I confirmed with the Verizon rep that data changes on one phone within the family plan do not effect data plan changes to other phones within that family plan.

Nice! :D.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hisoka_Ryuzaki