Why are monthly plans the same price if I don't buy vzw phone?

maduro78

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Phones are subsidized over the course of a 2 year contract. So if I I bring my own device why isn't the cost subtracted from the cost of the plan? They say they make little to no money on the actual phone during the course of a 2/year contract. So I guess they're making a killing when a customer brings their own device or pays full price.

Moto X 2014

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Exactly. Bring your own or keep using the same phone after 2 years is up - either way the carrier is making a nice chunk of change for doing nothing.

Android since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.

oscarnyc

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
That's what the edge plans are for. Depending on how much data you pay $15 or $25 less per line per month

Posted via Android Central App

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
Phones are subsidized over the course of a 2 year contract. So if I I bring my own device why isn't the cost subtracted from the cost of the plan? They say they make little to no money on the actual phone during the course of a 2/year contract. So I guess they're making a killing when a customer brings their own device or pays full price.

Moto X 2014

It depends on the plan you have as bringing your own phone can reduce the cost. If you have unlimited data, then you are out of luck. If you are on a More Everything plan, bringing your own phone can reduce the plan either $15 or $25 a month depending on how much shared data you have.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Yeah... Verizon was notorious for this with their contract terms. BYOD or not, you were paying for it. Things have changed now that the phones are getting broken out of the service plans. But if you aren't on one of those plans, you might as well get the new device from the carrier. Frankly, it is downright fraudulent for a carrier to allow a customer to be on one of those types of contracted plans if they brought in their own phone.

Even for current customers... a while back when I still had ye old feature phone, I had stuck around on my plan, 'off contract' for a little while rather than updating to a smartphone as it would have required a sizable payment up front AND like a $30/month bump in my payment for the newly added on data plan. So every month I dragged my feet, Verizon Wireless got a ton of free money off me. That shouldn't even be legal.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
To my knowledge you get the $15 or $25 discount if you are on Edge .. Or if you have a phone that you didn't get a discount on (contract). Such as if I took my iPhone 6 + to Verizon (it is approved already on Verizon) I could get a discount since I own this phone and am not getting any discount from them. Basically the "edge" discount.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Yeah... Verizon was notorious for this with their contract terms. BYOD or not, you were paying for it. Things have changed now that the phones are getting broken out of the service plans. But if you aren't on one of those plans, you might as well get the new device from the carrier. Frankly, it is downright fraudulent for a carrier to allow a customer to be on one of those types of contracted plans if they brought in their own phone.

Even for current customers... a while back when I still had ye old feature phone, I had stuck around on my plan, 'off contract' for a little while rather than updating to a smartphone as it would have required a sizable payment up front AND like a $30/month bump in my payment for the newly added on data plan. So every month I dragged my feet, Verizon Wireless got a ton of free money off me. That shouldn't even be legal.
At the time of those old plans , it was standard practice - that carriers didn't provide a discount when post paid off contract. I am happy that Verizon lets us keep them,especially unlimited data and unlimited hotspot.

However Verizon will let you move to a current plan at any time

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

Last edited:

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
To my knowledge you get the $15 or $25 discount if you are on Edge .. Or if you have a phone that you didn't get a discount on (contract). Such as if I took my iPhone 6 + to Verizon (it is approved already on Verizon) I could get a discount since I own this phone and am not getting any discount from them. Basically the "edge" discount.

Some people have not received the discount if the device was not Verizon branded. This happened to Nexus 6 users on Verizon. We will see if they can get the discount note that the phone is available on Verizon.

mdk32014

Banned
Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
Same for me i had a Iphone that i got with a contract and i went online and got another phone but i still am in the contract and pay the extra $15.

Posted via the Android Central App