I don't trust Verzion after the stunt they pulled on me!

jerrycau123

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
I switched from Verzion to Tmobile. I contacted Verzion to inform them I was changing servers and that Tmobile will be sending me a debt card to payoff the balance that I owe on my cell phone, and that I needed to make payments until I receive the dept card from Tmobile...Verzion stated that I could make payments on a short term basis but I needed to contact them on 5/14...I responded by stated that I would contact them on the 14th of May....I signed up with Tmobile a Month ago... This morning I decided to check my bank account, I was in for the shock of my life! Verzion decided to process my final payment in the amount of $561.00!, the balance owned on my account, for the cell phone!...This is outrageous and this will be the last time that I deal with Verzion!

Posted via the Android Central App

jerrycau123

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Re: I don't trust Verzion after the stud they pulled on me!

I now have -500.00 balance with my bank! Thanks Verzion!

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

I'm sorry to hear this. Looks like this is a good reason not to trust the cell phone company that supposed to send you the debit card. I didn't know that's how they did that. I was contemplating possibly doing that in the future, I don't think so.

Bosgarage57

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site

How did it come through your acct? ACH payment or Point of Sale? Either way, you could go to your financial institution and tell them it was an unauthorized charge and you need to dispute it.

jerrycau123

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site

I contacted Verzion after this happened and they stated that this was a mistake and they would reverse the charges but it could take up to 7 days!.The reason this happened was due to Verzion error in not removing by debit card information...I contacted my bank and explained what had happened and the bank said not to worry and this was not my fault! but this could cause overdraft issues...And if there were any bounced checked they would reverse the charges!. I checked my account this morning and the negative balance was gone and my account is back to normal! I thought I would share the story so everyone who is considering going through this process to make sure you cover all angels....This was a total nightmare!

jerrycau123

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site

Verzion made this mistake,this had nothing to do with the debt card from tmobile...I had already contacted Verzion to inform them that I would be making payments until I received the card from tmobile. Verzion failed to update there system!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I will say this is why I have nothing setup for auto-payments. This way a company can't just reach and take my money (or charge my credit-card). I always log in and manually submit my payments for my bills each month.

Sorry they did this to you even after saying they wouldn't.

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

Verzion made this mistake,this had nothing to do with the debt card from tmobile...I had already contacted Verzion to inform them that I would be making payments until I received the card from tmobile. Verzion failed to update there system!

I understand that but having to wait for a debit card so that you can take care of business if you are one that doesn't have oodles of money in your account is something that I don't want to mess with and so I'm really glad to know that this is how this is done.

jerrycau123

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Thank you for your input and kind words! Please check all avenues and make sure this doesn't happen to you.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

I will say this is why I have nothing setup for auto-payments. This way a company can't just reach and take my money (or charge my credit-card). I always log in and manually submit my payments for my bills each month.

Sorry they did this to you even after saying they wouldn't.
I prefer auto pay so I don't forget. When the bill comes I review it before it auto drafts. It also depends on how many bills you have to check. I have over a dozen, so checking through them can be a pain. I didn't have auto debit before but I was late on a payment once. For me, the potential over payment is better than being late and having a negative mark on my credit.

To each his own of course. I also have multiple bank accounts so even if one place over drafts, I still can use my other accounts.

Sent from my Pearly White Verizon Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site

I prefer auto pay so I don't forget.

Same here. My wife & I set up autopay for pretty much everything we can. One thing we do though is to use a credit card whenever possible. This protects your bank account. Another advantage is that during resolution of the issue, it's the credit card company's problem.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I prefer auto pay so I don't forget. When the bill comes I review it before it auto drafts. It also depends on how many bills you have to check. I have over a dozen, so checking through them can be a pain. I didn't have auto debit before but I was late on a payment once. For me, the potential over payment is better than being late and having a negative mark on my credit.

To each his own of course. I also have multiple bank accounts so even if one place over drafts, I still can use my other accounts.

I won't forget. I have reminders on my calendar when certain bills come in to let me know to check. That way I won't have to worry about them not being paid.. And the company can't just freely take my money :).

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Did the OP port out from Verizon to t-mobile? If so he was clearly charged for the balance owed on his current phone. Verizon isn't going to let you make payments on a phone if your no longer a customer. You'd have to port out, pay off any money owed on you Verizon account. Then wait for t-mobile to mail you their debit card restructuring you for your Verizon ETF final bill. ??

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I switched from Verzion to Tmobile. I contacted Verzion to inform them I was changing servers and that Tmobile will be sending me a debt card to payoff the balance that I owe on my cell phone, and that I needed to make payments until I receive the dept card from Tmobile...Verzion stated that I could make payments on a short term basis but I needed to contact them on 5/14...I responded by stated that I would contact them on the 14th of May....I signed up with Tmobile a Month ago... This morning I decided to check my bank account, I was in for the shock of my life! Verzion decided to process my final payment in the amount of $561.00!, the balance owned on my account, for the cell phone!...This is outrageous and this will be the last time that I deal with Verzion!

My friend who switched From Sprint to T-Mobile was advised to pay off his own etf ($600. 00)with sprint which he did. He then went down to T-Mobile filled out the form for the etf rebate along with the sprint receipt T-Mobile sales rep processed the form on the p.o.s terminal made copies. Friend received his visa gift card in about 5 days. Btw, the amount on the gift card only covers etf and taxes I believe? There was some other charges that wasn't covered under this deal which amounted to about 20 dollars less on his gift card compared to the sprint final bill.
Anyways,
I though this is how it supposed to work.

Sent from my Sony Xperia Z3 via the Coconut Wireless \000/

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
My friend who switched From Sprint to T-Mobile was advised to pay off his own etf ($600. 00)with sprint which he did. He then went down to T-Mobile filled out the form for the etf rebate along with the sprint receipt T-Mobile sales rep processed the form on the p.o.s terminal made copies. Friend received his visa gift card in about 5 days. Btw, the amount on the gift card only covers etf and taxes I believe? There was some other charges that wasn't covered under this deal which amounted to about 20 dollars less on his gift card compared to the sprint final bill.
Anyways,
I though this is how it supposed to work.

Sent from my Sony Xperia Z3 via the Coconut Wireless \000/

Yes, you sign up with t-mobile by porting over your number from Verizon/AT&T etc. Verizon then bills you any remaining balance, You send copy of bill to t-mobile and wait for them to send gift card covering your ETF with Verizon etc.

mdk32014

Banned
Jan 23, 2015
Visit site

I understand that but having to wait for a debit card so that you can take care of business if you are one that doesn't have oodles of money in your account is something that I don't want to mess with and so I'm really glad to know that this is how this is done.

This is why i am done with contracts.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

This is why i am done with contracts.

With contract, when cancelling, the maximum amount due is $350. With device payment plans, when cancelling, including Tmobile's, the balance, which can be MORE THAN DOUBLE the maximum of the contract etf, becomes due in a large balloon payment.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Also the op wasn't on a service contract when he cancelled his Verizon service. That is why be owed $561. If he was on service contract, the most he would owe is $350 etf plus service usage, plus taxes and fees.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

With contract, when cancelling, the maximum amount due is $350. With device payment plans, when cancelling, including Tmobile's, the balance, which can be MORE THAN DOUBLE the maximum of the contract etf, becomes due in a large balloon payment.

True but that is because they already paid a lump sum (such as $200 or more) up front -- So that is why it is less. Either way you pay around the same (give or take a little bit) -- but they ensure to get their money.