Verizon Upgrade Policy Question

mdlissner

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Hi folks,

Need some help on my account. I moved over from AT&T on 1/7/10 to buy a Droid and MiFi.

The one year is up tomorrow and I know that Verizon is getting rid of the one year upgrade in a couple weeks. I believe even if I wait until after they abolish the 1 year upgrade I can still do this one more time - and will be okay until I sign a new contract with them. Is this correct?

If I upgrade on the 1 year early upgrade can I do this and only sign a new one year contract? I know I would have to pay more for the phone if I do this.

Also - if I upgrade before the new policy can I get another one year upgrade in January 2012?

When I hit 20 months (September 2011) can I get a new phone on the MiFi line upgrade and just move it over to my main phone later and reactivate the MiFi?

Reason is I may want to get a DroidX now and have the ability to get a 4G phone later once I know the terms and conditions of 4G plans and how the coverage is after a few months of service in the field.

Appreciate anyones help on this.

Last edited:

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
That is not set in stone yet, I believe it was a rumor though. But if it is true then anything done before the 16th will not go in effect. Once you get a phone after the 16th then you cannot do an annual upgrade anymore. But if you did it on the 15th then Jan 15th 2012, you can upgrade again but then after that, jan 2014.

Menno

Coffee Addict
Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Still waiting for confirmation, but it's my understanding that there will be no more annual upgrades period. So if you upgrade now, it's your last one. This could change, but it's my understanding that the only thing that will be grandfathered in is your NE2 if you upgrade early.

This could change, but DO NOT assume that the annual will be there, more than likely it won't be.

You CAN use your NE2 on the Mifi to get a phone, it's called a buddy upgrade. This will most likely ONLY work in stores though. If you try doing this online or at a third party website, there's a high chance something will be messed up. (you did change your Mifi plan to the new cheaper rates right? If not, I suggest doing that).

What you should ideally do is wait until the bionic is released. There will be a TON of people trying to get rid of their old phones on Ebay and craigslist to get one. Snap up a used DroidX from there.

Then when your NE2 comes up either get an annual upgrade (you forfeit your NE2, but you can upgrade every 10 months) or stop buying phones on contract in general and just sell old ones on ebay to partially recoup the losses of buying without a contract.

If you're someone who likes getting new technology often, you should NEVER sign a 2 year contract anymore. Only sign a 1 year if you can wait at least 10 months.

Dplymkr88#AC

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
My question is this, since Verizon is changing the terms of the contract you can break your contract with them. Say you do this would they then allow you to operate on a month to month basis? I love my X now but I'm looking at all those LTE phones on the horizon and I'm getting antsy.

sivartk

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
They aren't changing the terms of your current contact.

Just when your contact renews. I guess you could go month to month for years and keep the upgrade in your pocket.

Dplymkr88#AC

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
They aren't changing the terms of your current contact.

Just when your contact renews. I guess you could go month to month for years and keep the upgrade in your pocket.

But that language would have to be *in* the contract would it not? I am asking seriously, I can't imagine too many of us have actually read the contracts...

Super_Mario

Banned
Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
My question is this, since Verizon is changing the terms of the contract you can break your contract with them. Say you do this would they then allow you to operate on a month to month basis? I love my X now but I'm looking at all those LTE phones on the horizon and I'm getting antsy.

Wrong. Geez you like to spread your fallacies all over the place; here and on Crackberry. Existing contacts are not changing, only if you sign a new contract or upgrade after the 16th with this take effect. People who are currently eligible will remain eligible. Get your facts straight.

Menno

Coffee Addict
Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
If you two are done posturing, let's sit back down, alright?

Here's the deal: Current contracts WILL NOT CHANGE. Companies would be stupid to change current contracts because the potential of lost customers would be too great. The last time they made a change that allowed you out of your contract (that I can remember) is when they change the per text message fee for non-unlimited texting plans. This allowed you out of contract because there was no way to accurately predict how much this could cost a customer, and no easy way to grandfather in old plans on previous rates.

This isn't one of those cases. What this is is a change for NEW contracts, so existing contracts will be fine. This means if you have a NE2 on your account coming up next year, you'll still have one. If you upgrade by the 16th, you'll still have a NE2 in 2 years.

What Might change for existing NE2 customer is that there's now a limit on that NE2 credit (you have a certain amount of time to use it before you lose it) This isn't a material change in your contract because the NE2 was never promised to be an eternally offered promo and for almost a year now the wording about it has stated that you may only have up to 6 months to use it. I don't know how far their pushing back this requirement, but if they do push it to all existing NE2 credits, expect an email to ship out to all customers with a NE2 available on the 16th or so.

That being said. If you're someone who likes technology enough to be posting on an android forum, you shouldn't be signing a 2 year contract anymore anyway, so it's a moot point.

My advice is if you have an annual, DON'T use it and lock yourself in for another 2 years. Wait until your final NE2 date, waive the right to that NE2 and sign a 1 year contract instead. Sure, you pay a few bucks more for the phone, but you can get a new one every 10 months instead of 20 for NO additional monthly cost.

Reactions: iLive an iLife

Dplymkr88#AC

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
@menno thanks for the reply. I had already come to that realization but your thoughtful reply is appreciated.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
If you two are done posturing, let's sit back down, alright?

Here's the deal: Current contracts WILL NOT CHANGE. Companies would be stupid to change current contracts because the potential of lost customers would be too great. The last time they made a change that allowed you out of your contract (that I can remember) is when they change the per text message fee for non-unlimited texting plans. This allowed you out of contract because there was no way to accurately predict how much this could cost a customer, and no easy way to grandfather in old plans on previous rates.

This isn't one of those cases. What this is is a change for NEW contracts, so existing contracts will be fine. This means if you have a NE2 on your account coming up next year, you'll still have one. If you upgrade by the 16th, you'll still have a NE2 in 2 years.

What Might change for existing NE2 customer is that there's now a limit on that NE2 credit (you have a certain amount of time to use it before you lose it) This isn't a material change in your contract because the NE2 was never promised to be an eternally offered promo and for almost a year now the wording about it has stated that you may only have up to 6 months to use it. I don't know how far their pushing back this requirement, but if they do push it to all existing NE2 credits, expect an email to ship out to all customers with a NE2 available on the 16th or so.

That being said. If you're someone who likes technology enough to be posting on an android forum, you shouldn't be signing a 2 year contract anymore anyway, so it's a moot point.

My advice is if you have an annual, DON'T use it and lock yourself in for another 2 years. Wait until your final NE2 date, waive the right to that NE2 and sign a 1 year contract instead. Sure, you pay a few bucks more for the phone, but you can get a new one every 10 months instead of 20 for NO additional monthly cost.

Thanks for clearing that up, Menno! That was the logic I was following myself. Everyone was getting all up in arms about losing their annual upgrade, but I figured they wouldn't really lose it because it would be a terms change in your contract (and that allows you to instantly opt out).

My question is this. If I am due for an annual upgrade in April and my NE2 in December, can I use the annual in April and sign a 1 year contract? Technically speaking, I would be extending my contract (even if it's just a few days). Thoughts, Menno?

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
My annual will come back next year since I signed the contract before Jan 16. After that, yearly contracts. I was somewhat mad but then after some searching around, VZW offers annual upgrades for slightly more, I never knew that.

Menno

Coffee Addict
Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for clearing that up, Menno! That was the logic I was following myself. Everyone was getting all up in arms about losing their annual upgrade, but I figured they wouldn't really lose it because it would be a terms change in your contract (and that allows you to instantly opt out).

My question is this. If I am due for an annual upgrade in April and my NE2 in December, can I use the annual in April and sign a 1 year contract? Technically speaking, I would be extending my contract (even if it's just a few days). Thoughts, Menno?

No, if you use your Annual upgrade it MUST be for a 2 year contract. I haven't looked closely at it lately, but if I remember correctly, when you toggle for an annual upgrade it doesn't give the rep a choice in what kind of contract you're signing, it's 2 years or you don't use the upgrade.

They do this because they actually need the contract to run to pay for the subsidy on the device. If you can do it, I'd recommend holding out for your NE2 date, NOT using the NE2, and just signing a 1 year contract then. Sure, you "lose" your Ne2 credit and you pay more for the phone, but you can upgrade ever 10 months instead of 20.. more than fair trade imo.

Also, if you're not interested in getting a LTE device at launch, there should be a TON of incredibles, Droid2, Droidx, Fascinate's on ebay when they launch because of people trying to raise money to buy out of contract.

I got my Incredible for $250 on ebay. If you can get a similar deal, this means you can get a new(ish) phone for cheap in april, or sooner. And then get a 1 year contract when it matters.

michael styles

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
Another great thing that most forget is that when you do a 1yr contract you don't loose that NE2 option. Just cause it has been taken off by VZW doesn't mean you can't still have it. Remember it's gone going forward for new customers & exsisting ones who upgrade with a 2yr contract.

So if you have that additional $30-$50 off for the NE2 & do a one year you still have the NE2 option still attached to your acct.....I have done some research & confirmed it from different sources. My contract was up @ the begining of Jan & I will upgrade My OG Droid if I feel the need to but only on a 1yr pricing so I still keep my NE2. If I'm totally wrong please do tell but then my personal source in VZW would have been told wrong or just lied to me which I highly doubt.

Also most phone reps & instore reps will always come up with a ton of objections as to why a 1yr contract isn't a good idea when it really comes down to them not getting paid as much for it & in a way doesn't count as a true activation. As we all know these carriers want to lock us in for 2yrs not 1(yr) as they don't make as much profit from it.

That's just my 2cents of course but a 2yr contract is something i probably wont ever do again....last lil tid bit I've heard is that VZW is just leading the charge to change the upgrade policy & the others will sure follow this year or next. Count on it!

Menno

Coffee Addict
Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Another great thing that most forget is that when you do a 1yr contract you don't loose that NE2 option. Just cause it has been taken off by VZW doesn't mean you can't still have it. Remember it's gone going forward for new customers & exsisting ones who upgrade with a 2yr contract.

So if you have that additional $30-$50 off for the NE2 & do a one year you still have the NE2 option still attached to your acct.....I have done some research & confirmed it from different sources. My contract was up @ the begining of Jan & I will upgrade My OG Droid if I feel the need to but only on a 1yr pricing so I still keep my NE2. If I'm totally wrong please do tell but then my personal source in VZW would have been told wrong or just lied to me which I highly doubt.

Also most phone reps & instore reps will always come up with a ton of objections as to why a 1yr contract isn't a good idea when it really comes down to them not getting paid as much for it & in a way doesn't count as a true activation. As we all know these carriers want to lock us in for 2yrs not 1(yr) as they don't make as much profit from it.

That's just my 2cents of course but a 2yr contract is something i probably wont ever do again....last lil tid bit I've heard is that VZW is just leading the charge to change the upgrade policy & the others will sure follow this year or next. Count on it!

That used to be true, but when you upgrade this next time (on a 1 or 2 year contract) you will NOT get a NE2 anymore. that program is dead. It's not being grandfathered in unless you ALREADY have it on your current contract. When you sign a new contract (of any term) you'll lose the ability to get a NE2.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar