Why won't Verizon allow Google Voice for voicemail?

TvTechGuru

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
I just switched from AT&T to Verizon. I got the Droid Turbo. Got it all setup without any problems. Then I went to setup Google Voice for my voicemail but got several errors. It looks like Verizon doesn't support Google Voice for voicemail. So I have to use their old school voicemail system? I did do a search on this forum but didn't see anyone else talking about it.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I use Google Voice on Verizon on both of my numbers. I know it doesn't do the on device setup portion correctly, but it can be made to work anyway.

travaz

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
My fight with VZW when I got the Turbo was they kept trying to push Visual Voice mail on me. At an extra cost of course. I don't make or receive a lot of calls so I don't want anything but basic voice mail. I had to call 3 time to get them to take it off my bill. They kept giving me a 30 day free trial. Then billing me.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I try to avoid calls as much as possible. You can remove vvm online through my verizon, or through the my verizon app.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
It may not be perfect for everyone, but I just tell Verizon to block or disable their voice mail completely. With their voicemail blocked/disabled, I can get messages just fine through Google Voice.

Maybe I am missing something.

dookie.

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Works fine here. Had to dial several # codes to set it up, no conversing with Verizon, been reliable for years. *shrug*?

TENYKS

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
I try to avoid calls as much as possible. You can remove vvm online through my verizon, or through the my verizon app.

I've used Google Voice on my phone for a couple of years.

However, I'm wondering if I'm doing it wrong???

I have the phone set up to forward the call to my Google Voice number. When someone leaves a message, I can see it on the Google Voice app on my phone. Never had a problem... but after reading other posts in this thread, I'd like to know if there's another way to do this?

Last edited:

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I've used Google Voice on my phone for a couple of years.

However, I'm wondering if I'm doing it wrong???

I have the phone set up to forward the call to my Google Voice number. When someone leaves a message, I can see it on the Google Voice app on my phone. Never had a problem... but after reading other posts in this thread, I'd like to know if there's another way to do this?

You did it right. When you set up Google Voice you had to call a number that Google gave you. Dialing the number asked if you want to forward all calls to the GV number and that's it. I used it without issue until the Droid Turbo where it just would never work. Thankfully, Lollipop allows me to use it again but if I wanted to use Verizon VVM the app keeps giving errors.

ezzzzz

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
I had thought I figured it out but I didn't. So I've been suffering with Verizon's stock voicemail. Oh well, *sigh*

so I use Google voice on vzw, if I remember right when I set it up I went to Google voice page on a PC and did it. works well no probs, have had for years

Posted via AC app on my X 14

reznorfan0

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site
I think these people are just looking for how to, instead of being told that it can be done.

Dial *71 along with your google voice number (do this on your verizon phone). This will set up your verizon to forward refused or unanswered calls to the google voice. I just did it. Works fine.

TechNut79

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site

How? Or does the vvm mean Verizon voice mail? I was originally thinking visual voice mail.

Posted via the Android Central App

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
How? Or does the vvm mean Verizon voice mail? I was originally thinking visual voice mail.

I just checked. Apparently, it depends on the device. Some devices can remove visual voicemail through my Verizon, others can't.

TechNut79

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I just checked. Apparently, it depends on the device. Some devices can remove visual voicemail through my Verizon, others can't.

Would the Note 4 be one of them? Also the LG G4 or HTC M7? Or a list if you have it?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Would the Note 4 be one of them? Also the LG G4 or HTC M7? Or a list if you have it?

Sorry I don't have a list. But I would suspect that newer devices won't let you disable vvm through my Verizon.

nsomniak6

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I tried *71 and my google voice number and it did not go to the voicemail. It just said the call couldn't be connected. I just changed from a LG G5 where it worked on but it has been set up for a couple of years to a Samsung S7. Now I am stuck with Verizon voice which I don't like as well as Google Voicemail. :(

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance