Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #51  

FYI: I intentionally left off the Bionic's 512mb of RAM as a negative for now because the RAM of the LG and Samsung models isn't yet known. If they come out with 768mb of RAM (to match the ThunderBolt) or more, then I will show the Bionic's 512mb as a negative because it will be behind the pack. If they come out with 512mb, then I'll consider it par for the course and just leave HTC with the positive for giving more. 512mb is what the Droid X and Droid Incredible have now, so in and of itself it's not a negative, it's just not an advancement. I think the only reason it's notable is because the Atrix comes with 1gb leaving folks to wonder why the Bionic didn't get all of the same shiny new toys.
    My tech timeline: 1981 - First programmed. 1986 - First modem connection. 1993 - First Internet SLIP account. 2000 - First broadband connection. 2003 - First BlackBerry. 2011 - First Android.
    Thanked by:
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #52  

Update on the global phone questions. Check out Verizon's presentation at CES that you can view at

Jump to 37:43 and you'll hear Verizon say the following in response to a question about global roaming:

"The devices will be able to take advantage, over the course of this year as we build some back-end infrastructure, to be able to roam overseas utilizing 3GPP networks whether it is LTE, if it is available, or, if LTE is not available, then HSPA or GSM/GPRS."
    My tech timeline: 1981 - First programmed. 1986 - First modem connection. 1993 - First Internet SLIP account. 2000 - First broadband connection. 2003 - First BlackBerry. 2011 - First Android.

Global Posts
    118 Global Posts

Thanks. I assume if you buy the TB now, later in the year the phone I bought at launch, will then be global. is this what you think.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardClark View Post
    Update on the global phone questions. Check out Verizon's presentation at CES that you can view at

Jump to 37:43 and you'll hear Verizon say the following in response to a question about global roaming:

"The devices will be able to take advantage, over the course of this year as we build some back-end infrastructure, to be able to roam overseas utilizing 3GPP networks whether it is LTE, if it is available, or, if LTE is not available, then HSPA or GSM/GPRS."

Global Posts
    55 Global Posts

It is amazing that HTC could put a 4.3" screen on a device with 4.58" x 2.6" overall size. I hope that is correct. I would like the 4.3" screen but I don't want to carry around a huge phone.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #55  

Quote Originally Posted by lapeter View Post
    Thanks. I assume if you buy the TB now, later in the year the phone I bought at launch, will then be global. is this what you think.
    That's how I interpret Verizon's comment too. Sounds like no phone hardware change is needed. Must be all software changes on Verizon's end (and possibly to the phones) for them to be able to roll it out that quickly. Hoping that's true.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #56  

Quote Originally Posted by Thig View Post
    It is amazing that HTC could put a 4.3" screen on a device with 4.58" x 2.6" overall size. I hope that is correct. I would like the 4.3" screen but I don't want to carry around a huge phone.
    Those dimensions came from here:
    116.3 mm x 66.0 mm = 133.7 mm diagonally (hooray geometry!)
    Which is 5.265 inches diagonally (hooray Google conversions!).
    So, plenty of room for a 4.3" diagonal screen plus buttons, etc.

Very useful, thank you for sharing. This was what I was looking for. Saved a bunch if time of research.

Global Posts
    55 Global Posts

Those dimensions came from here:
    116.3 mm x 66.0 mm = 133.7 mm diagonally (hooray geometry!)
    Which is 5.265 inches diagonally (hooray Google conversions!).
    So, plenty of room for a 4.3" diagonal screen plus buttons, etc.
    Not doubting your math at all, just sort of comparing the Droid X which has a 4.3" screen and is about 1/2" longer.

Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    ROM
    Miui 1.1.7.0,

Quote Originally Posted by rewd View Post
    Fantastic, thank you for the additional info. Basically what your saying is qHD > WVGA (when watching something in HD)?

The Bionic is winning hands down for me. My only concern is the lack of a physical keyboard. The only full touchscreen device I've ever owned was the original BB Storm and I despised the whole experience. I hope full touch Android Devices are better in that department or I may have to wait for the first dual core QWERTY slider...
    Touch on an Android device is nothing like it was on the Storm; I had one. It's pleasent and works and you'll never think about your BB again after, like, an hour.
    gtalk: Sethjk

Quote Originally Posted by sethjk View Post
    Touch on an Android device is nothing like it was on the Storm; I had one. It's pleasent and works and you'll never think about your BB again after, like, an hour.
    I still have the old droid, and used to rely on the slide-out keyboard. But after getting on the swype beta I've maybe used it twice. I'm looking forward to a keyboardless phone simply because I've had such a great time using swype.

On the simultaneous voice and data part. My understanding of LTE is that VoLTE (Voice over LTE) needs to be rolled out before it will work.
    An article at mentions the first ever test call last month and that it is expected to roll out sometime in 2012. Anyone hoping for this feature out of the box, don't get your hopes up quite yet.
    One of the nice things about VoLTE I'm looking forward to is the improved sound quality. Of course it will only be improved if the other party has VoLTE or similar.
    My X will be up for a NE2 next March, will be interesting to see whats available by then.

My NE2 is up in February. I am starting to look at my options. I will be a BB defector. I have absolutely no idea where to start.

After the flurry of info pouring out of CES this past week about the upcoming Verizon LTE phones, I started a Google Docs spreadsheet to pull all of the specs together so I could compare them side-by-side to help me figure out which one I wanted to make my next phone. Then I realized that it might be helpful to others as well, so I prettied it up a bit and made the link publicly viewable.

Most of the information was gathered from the official press releases, official web site, and the articles by Android Central's intrepid reporters. I wanted to stick to the facts instead of reacting to every rumor.

The link is below. I hope you find it helpful. I will continue to update it as more information becomes available. Feel free to send me a PM if you've found sources for any of the missing information or if I made an error (gasp!). Enjoy!

Richard thank you so much for this detailed comparison. Any new updates on this or are you done adding to this for now since it appears you went with a Thunderbolt!

Thanks again!
    --Todd
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #64  

Glad you found it useful. I don't plan on updating it any more at this point since three of the four phones are available now and specs on them are easy to find. The fourth (Bionic) is getting a major overhaul and bears little resemblance to what was presented at CES.

Default Re: Spreadsheet comparing Verizon LTE phones

A belated thanks for the work you put into this

Global Posts
    335 Global Posts

Default Re: Spreadsheet comparing Verizon LTE phones

Should this either be updated or taken off sticky?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123