Anyone else considering jumping ship after CES?

oldpueblo

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Sorry for the rant ahead of time, but I'm wondering if I'm the only one thinking this. I've been with Verizon for a long time, love the service, and in the past have thought changing carriers just for a device seemed ridiculous. However having had a Droid Incredible for a long time now and loving the phone while hating virtual keyboards (TP2 before), I've been waiting and waiting for another HTC device with a physical keyboard worthy of an upgrade. That would have been the Merge or the 7 Pro, neither of which are anywhere to be seen on the horizon. Motorola's devices don't interest me, I'm a big HTC/Sense fan. Wait for CES everyone says! Or that next show after, or the next one!

CES would have been the perfect time to announce these I think, but instead we get the Thunderbolt which in terms of my needs is really just a trumped up Inredible, and not a whisper of WP7 except the leaked Trophy which I have 0 interest in. So now I can't help but feel I might be waiting longer than I can stand, I've never gotten used to an onscreen keyboard no matter which ones I try. And then the cherry on top, the upgrade change to 20 months. I'm also not a fan of the iPhone and can't help but feel maybe that's why everything else has been taking a back seat (Merge supposed to be out in November!).

That's enough for me to at least entertain the idea of another carrier, and oh look what Sprint has. The EVO Shift 4G already out (basically same as the merge and looks perfect for me) and I see an announced 7 Pro, pictures and all, so I at least know it's coming. Better upgrade plans and the phone bill is very likely to be a lot cheaper as well with my family plan. Is anyone else in the same boat, has Verizon made it laughably easy for you to want to switch to another carrier? It's almost like Sprint is intentionally filling the gaps Verizon is leaving open, which to me is good business sense. But it's also the reason Verizon is probably going to lose me.

Last edited:

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't mind switching to Sprint except I have a Verizon package including cable, internet, phone and the family plan for mobile. They give me a great deal for using them for everything. Maybe one day I will get rid of the family plan but it saves me too much money right now. The only place I'm jumping to is the Verizon store to pick up the Bionic.

Kyle Gibb

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Sprint's $70 (+ 10 for 4G) plan is looking mighty enticing. I'll be looking at possibly jumping ship around next April if Verizon gets greedy on LTE pricing.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I shop every year...it always comes down to sprint/VZW....I am due in 6 Months......Sprints 70 dollar plan includes (OOOOOOO!!!!!!) land line minutes don't be a sheep......

prittyboy203

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
I switched from att and man am I happy im not paying $400 a month for ridiculous charges every month I got into an argument with them Cuz the charged me for this or they charged me for that and they would say hey.your right great service when there was the unlimited internet but after that it was a night mare and now with Sprint im in just the right place where I could get everything and a Evo but the 4 charge gets pretty much taken away with the employe discount and I pay just the 69.99 and I very happy with the switch but IMO I think Verizon is expensive but hey its up to you and if you wanna spend so much and you can lower your bill with a family plan and a new phone you've been looking at

Sent From PrittyBoy's Evo 4G

Adawg1203

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
Sorry for the rant ahead of time, but I'm wondering if I'm the only one thinking this. I've been with Verizon for a long time, love the service, and in the past have thought changing carriers just for a device seemed ridiculous. However having had a Droid Incredible for a long time now and loving the phone while hating virtual keyboards (TP2 before), I've been waiting and waiting for another HTC device with a physical keyboard worthy of an upgrade. That would have been the Merge or the 7 Pro, neither of which are anywhere to be seen on the horizon. Motorola's devices don't interest me, I'm a big HTC/Sense fan. Wait for CES everyone says! Or that next show after, or the next one!

CES would have been the perfect time to announce these I think, but instead we get the Thunderbolt which in terms of my needs is really just a trumped up Inredible, and not a whisper of WP7 except the leaked Trophy which I have 0 interest in. So now I can't help but feel I might be waiting longer than I can stand, I've never gotten used to an onscreen keyboard no matter which ones I try. And then the cherry on top, the upgrade change to 20 months. I'm also not a fan of the iPhone and can't help but feel maybe that's why everything else has been taking a back seat (Merge supposed to be out in November!).

That's enough for me to at least entertain the idea of another carrier, and oh look what Sprint has. The EVO Shift 4G already out (basically same as the merge and looks perfect for me) and I see an announced 7 Pro, pictures and all, so I at least know it's coming. Better upgrade plans and the phone bill is very likely to be a lot cheaper as well with my family plan. Is anyone else in the same boat, has Verizon made it laughably easy for you to want to switch to another carrier? It's almost like Sprint is intentionally filling the gaps Verizon is leaving open, which to me is good business sense. But it's also the reason Verizon is probably going to lose me.

Sprint offers cheaper pricing because they have to in order to compete. They do not have a subscriber base even remotely close to VZ or ATT.

You said you love VZ service so unquestionably by moving to sprint you will experience service degradation. Is that less important to you than having a device they offer? Besides, when you move to Sprint , chances are you will have the same device demands you have now when you look at VZ or even ATT lineup.

The upgrade change shouldn't be a big deal as most sign on the dotted line for 24 months. So you will have to honor you contract closer to the terms you signed for. The change is a combo of Iphone and 4g devices due to the expense behind them. There is always a one year deal you can opt for.

As far as VZ's 4g network, its truly state of the art and new to the market. You cannot expect cheaper rates this early on. You really do get what you pay for with VZ. Also, by no means is VZ pushing their customers off of 3g onto 4g. If the 3g network is enough for you and your family why do you feel stress over 4g pricing or even switching over to? Look at the many EVO owners who pay a little more monthly for 4g and have NO 4G service. Does that make sense?

Prior to making the leap make sure you go over the pro's and con's carefully. After doing that I think you will find you are on the best network who in turn, will offer some of the best devices any carrier has ever seen.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
If you have VZW and have good service, I would just stay but no harm in looking around. Maybe Sprint and other carriers have good service where you are. VZW is good in areas but bad in areas. Same with other carriers. No one carrier has service EVERYWHERE. Go down to another carrier and check out the coverage maps and see what's good for you.

That is my major concern then from there, choose a phone you like. No point of getting a state of the art phone but no service where you are.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae