Verizon to revamp its data plans starting August 13, ditches phone contracts for new customers (existing customers can still get contracts)

JnEricsonx

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
Re: Verizon to revamp its data plans starting August 13, ditches phone contracts

So, since my brother isn't upgrading his UDP line any time soon, I'm just going to buy off swappa a Note 4 at some point....does that mean since we're on a old-school family plan, my mom will finally be able to get a BB Iphone in like October when her upgrade is due? She's finally going to jump into smartphones, and I figured, sad to say, Iphone is best for her, plus, BB usually does the older ones for like 1 buck.

Ms Charli

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Re: Verizon to revamp its data plans starting August 13, ditches phone contracts

Ok I quit using upgrades about 3 years ago. When I want a new phone I buy used off ebay. I done this to keep my unlimited data. Will never buy another phone through Verizon I have no problem with buying used. So will my unlimited data be affected?

Technified

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

Ok I quit using upgrades about 3 years ago. When I want a new phone I buy used off ebay. I done this to keep my unlimited data. Will never buy another phone through Verizon I have no problem with buying used. So will my unlimited data be affected?

I was just about to ask that same question. I have been out of contract with Vzw for a little over 3 years. When I get a new phone I just pay full price (pay half right then and put the rest on my bill). Since they are not doing contracts anymore and I'm already not on contract my UPD should be good right?

Posted from my Nexus 6

gardengal4

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site

I was at Verizon today to finalize my phone decision before Aug 13. I have an old plan that was a promotion with 4GB instead of std 2GB. My contract is long over.

I could get "device plan pricing" (pay 25/mo for 2 years for a total of full$600 retail price of phone!) or I could get a discounted price of $200 with a contract. In traditional used-car salesman style, they did their smoke and mirror trick to come up with the SAME (slightly lower) monthly payment -- by reducing my 4GB to 1GB. Duh! No thanks. $600? $200? I pick $200 !! (plus activation and sales tax on the 600).

However, it got interesting. Next weekend is sales-tax-free in Massachusetts. So I asked if I could still get a contract AFTER 8/13. He said yes. I made him check and he still said yes. I'm doubtful though

On the news tonite, their blurb said the new pricing is for "new customers" so maybe so.

Also, there is some monthly discounting going on on the monthly device pricing. Less than 6GB is a $15 discount. >= 6GB is $25 discount. However, normal math tells me that is still smoke and mirrors because 24 x 25 = 600, so discount is still marketing hype I think.

gardengal4

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site

Oh, he also told me that my existing old plan won't be honored forever. That was based on nothing, so not sure I believe him. Certainly, not going to worry about it.

icefrog119

Jul 1, 2015
Visit site

Yes i had Verizon i was grandfather in when they took away unlimited data only way to keep your unlimited data was to pay full retail price for a phone.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

TechNut79

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site

My neighborhood HOA president is the manager at the local
Verizon corporate store. I went to the store this evening to
ask him. He always gave me straight, no BS, answers.

He said I should definitely use my upgrade ASAP before the
August 13 changes kick in. He cannot guarantee contract
subsidized pricing starting August 14. The corporate memo
to the stores is that customers who are out of contract can
continue to keep the same plan. However, they can only buy
new smartphones at full retail prices from now on.

He said Verizon corporate has not given them the absolute
answer on this issue yet. Apparently they knew the changes
were coming back in a meeting in April.

Typical of Verizon.. .they had 4 months to work out the details,
but decided to announce the changes with only a few days of
warning. On the other hand, I guess they wanted to make sure
hundreds of upgrade eligible customers don't suddenly upgrade
to beat the deadline? :)

As always, he said "try to keep your unlimited [data plan] for
as long as humanly possible"
because my typical usage was
1500Gb per month. :(

1500Gb?! What are you using your phone for?

Posted via the Android Central App

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

I suppose what I was really trying to say was , just ditch Verizon , buy a moto g and go elsewhere .

Why should I? Verizon provides the best network service where I need and is by far the cheapest for my needs, even without subsidy.

And most in this thread need Verizon unlimited data.

Ymmv of course, just speaking about my specific situation

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Okay, I spoke to a higher level rep via chat yesterday, and she told me that once my contract is up, I wouldn't be able to renew it. If I wanted to upgrade, I'd have to move to one of the new plans.

HOWEVER, I just got off the phone with a rep, and she told me that they had a meeting about the new plans yesterday. She said that if I'm on a contract now, I'm grandfathered in and am able to renew the contract and get a subsidized phone on the same plan I have now. It's just that if I want to change plans, I'll no longer be offered a contract. I called again and asked another rep who confirmed it.

So, as of now, it looks like if you're currently on a contract and want to continue on that same contract, you can do so.
I hope you are right but personally I don't trust reps. I have been given inaccurate information on many occasions, even directly contradicting Verizon's written terms of service.

Personally if I had an upgrade, then I would use it before August 13th just to be on the safe side

alxarambula

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Just my luck.. I was looking forward to upgrading using the best buy method and retaining my UDP in Feb. Guess ill be financing all my phones from now on with my Best Buy credit card .

alxarambula

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Someone contact Tom Wheeler maybe he can pull some strings again!

asmallchild

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site

I have an unlimited data plan as an employee, just received a notification I'm eligible for a discounted rate upgrade

Should I use this up before August 13th?

gardengal4

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site

C-r-a-p! I just went to vzw online to purchase a new phone with new 2year contract prior to aug 13. Got this error before checkout page.

"The device you have added is not supported by your current plan. You have the option to change to a Single Line Plan at this time. "

So much for "if you like your plan you can keep your plan"!!! I guess I will have to go back to the store. Maybe I can keep my plan there.

fwiw the phone was a lg g4.

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

Just get a Moto g and be done with it. Everyone I know just does social media and texts anyway. Who needs a $700+ anymore really?

Not everyone likes the same phone, I'm a Note fan.

HolyBuckeye

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site

ugh

I JUST went off of my UDP and went into the family share plan of 10gb with my parents. Can't upgrade my phone til February :(

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

Verizon no longer requires a trade in. The new program is a direct device payment plan with no option to upgrade early like the original edge plan.

If I'm not mistaken this is what they used to do years ago like when cell phones started coming out and/or getting popular. This sounds real familiar.

gardengal4

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site

Just did the math to compare monthly price w/discount compared to discount upfront price with contract.

A. Monthly device pricing:
$23/mo device (e.g. 22.91 for the LG G4) x 24 months = $552 phone cost
$15/mo discount off of plan x 24 months = - $360savings

net cost for phone $192

And after 2 years, monthly cost drops $23. I think the $15/mo discount continues indefinitely. Not sure. Will have to investigte that.

B. w/Contract discounted phone $199
plus tax and activation fee (e.g.) $ 78

Total up front cost $277

The sales rep had mentioned a $15 discount for less than 6GB and $25 disc for over 6GB. But he didn't say where the discount was applied so I didn't really see the difference. Now that I got the stupid new plan in my shopping cart, I see it

So other than lowering my data gigs, I now have to agree device pricing in monthly is better than contract price. Before I crunched these numbers, I thought the contract price was better (200+ vs. 600 approx). Plus the sales rep showed me the numbers with a 1GB plan which was a total turnoff. The same calculation works with a 2GB plan which is a little more palatable. Makes my current monthly $3 higher. His 1GB plan showed $10 lower -- so he looked like a winner. NOT.

So if I am forced to get a new plan anyhow, there's no rush to make a move before 8/13. So I just may *NOT* buy a new phone now afterall. Even more savings!!! Still angry that I can't keep my plan if I buy a new phone. even before 8/13. should not be so. argggggg

disclaimer: possible that when it comes time to sign up they could come up with some other stupid fee or something that throws the above calculations off, but I think the gist of it is valid.

weknsmith

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site

... So if I am forced to get a new plan anyhow, there's no rush to make a move before 8/13. So I just may *NOT* buy a new phone now afterall. Even more savings!!! Still angry that I can't keep my plan if I buy a new phone. even before 8/13. should not be so. argggggg

disclaimer: possible that when it comes time to sign up they could come up with some other stupid fee or something that throws the above calculations off, but I think the gist of it is valid.

One thing to consider is that the discount of $15 or $25 for the per device fee is no longer going to apply with the new pricing. They have changed it to be a flat fee of $20 per smartphone for unlimited talk & text. People that were getting the $25 per line discount are now going to be paying $5 more per line per month (assuming that you ever make a change that cancels grandfathered plan status.)

Of course folks that only had the $15 per line discount will now have a bill that is $5 less per month (however their discount would not go up to $25 if they ever increased the data plan to a level that would have provided that discount.)

My suggestion is for folks to seriously consider bumping their data package to 6 GB before the 13th in order to get the $25 discount in place. Also they should be really aggressive with making sure it is applied to their account ASAP.

gardengal4

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site

Oh, I thought the 15/25 discount was new with the new device pricing (vs. contract).

He quoted me 1GB for $45/mo (unl t&t) and then I also found 2GB for $60/mo (unl t&t).

Personally, I can't justify getting a 6GB plan when I only use less than a half gig! But I did like having the 4GB as a future cushion.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol