Any options to make this work?

VicVinegar

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
I suspect I've missed all opportunities to do this, but with the latest plan change, I'm wondering if the gurus here have a way forward.

I have a UDP line on my parent's family plan. They don't care about keeping me on it, but I'd like to get off it if I could. I asked Verizon about assuming liability for it back when UDP went away, and they told me I couldn't. I've been reading on here, and it seems like that was the usual uninformed Verizon rep putting nonsense out there.

My wife has a UDP plan. Just the one line. I've always assumed there was nothing I could do to get another unlimited line on there.

So, any loopholes that can get another UDP line on my wife's account? She eats up a lot of data, so I can't push one of us onto a capped plan. In an ideal world, Verizon would just let me take my UDP onto our one account to tidy up the situation, but I'm sure they won't.

I don't care about working upgrades or anything like that. She bought her last iPhone full price, and I'll buy my next phone full price too.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I think that you might be able to have your wife assume liability of your line,since she currently has an unlimited line. It would be a ymmv of course. If you ask if you can transfer UDP then they will probably say no. But if your wife asks to AOL the line and asks unassumingly if all the features should remain on your line then it might work.

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I think that you might be able to have your wife assume liability of your line,since she currently has an unlimited line. It would be a ymmv of course. If you ask if you can transfer UDP then they will probably say no. But if your wife asks to AOL the line and asks unassumingly if all the features should remain on your line then it might work.
That's my understanding as well. In order to assume an unlimited data line, you must either be an individual with an unlimited data line already on the account, or transfer it to a corporate business account.

Be nice to the wife.... Lol

VicVinegar

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, maybe we'll try this. I'm an authorized "owner" on my parent's account, so I imagine I could authorize her to take the liability for the line. My understanding is the owner needs to make it available, and then someone needs to call to take it over?

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, maybe we'll try this. I'm an authorized "owner" on my parent's account, so I imagine I could authorize her to take the liability for the line. My understanding is the owner needs to make it available, and then someone needs to call to take it over?
You are correct except that only the account owner, and not an authorized user can authorize your wife. Of course, if you say you are your dad and have all the right info.... However, it would be better to ask the account owner to call Verizon directly.