Another Upgrade Question

Ramenstien

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Alright, I'm sorry but I have another question about upgrades. I was wondering if the primary line takes an upgrade from one of the other family plan users, will it take the primary lines upgrade away? Like if there's is in six months and they use an upgrade from another line, will their upgrade be there still in six months? Thanks a lot for the help.

Menno

Coffee Addict
Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Let me see if I have it right (if I don't, ignore my advice :) )

So you're talking about the primary line (let's call it line A) using another line's upgrade (Line B), correct?

So something like this:
You use Line B's upgrade to get a new phone on Line A.

If this is the case, then the contract on LINE B will be extended to end 2 years from that date. The upgrade on line A won't be affected at all, so it will be eligible when it always was, and if you have a NE2 credit on that line you won't use it.

This means that you can then use Line A's upgrade at a later date, either to get yourself a new phone, or to get a new device for Line B.

Does that make sense?

Ramenstien

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Yes, I think you have it correct. I also have one more question. Does the primary line get a better discount then the rest of the people on the plan?

Menno

Coffee Addict
Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Yes, I think you have it correct. I also have one more question. Does the primary line get a better discount then the rest of the people on the plan?

For the moment, yes. The primary line gets something called a "NE2 credit" this is $30-$50 (or $100 if you haven't upgraded in years) on top of the promotional pricing for the phone.

So if you had a NE2 of $30, and you wanted a phone that was $200, you would only pay $170 for it if you used the upgrade on the primary line.

That program is going away though, so if you use your last NE2, in 2 years, you'll pay what a new customer would pay for a phone (what the other lines pay right now).

Ramenstien

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Alright then. Thanks.

I have looked around and I think you can't but I thought I'd ask again. Can you exchange upgrades on a place like Wirefly?

Menno

Coffee Addict
Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Alright then. Thanks.

I have looked around and I think you can't but I thought I'd ask again. Can you exchange upgrades on a place like Wirefly?

No, they don't have the workaround to do it. you can only really do it in corp stores and at some store retailers.

Places like wirefly will only let you use the eligible upgrade (and they won't honor NE2)

You can technically do an ESN change (switch the phones yourself) to get the phone on the right line once activated, but Wirefly might have a restriction on this. Most third parties require that you keep the phone active for 6 months before you mess with what account it's on. Some will let you switch between lines on the same family plan, some won't

packerbacker

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
If you don't have an upgrade (non primary) and you want a new phone on your number, do you have to pay FULL price? Or is there some sort of "contract" price?

packerbacker

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
I thought existing customers had some sort of a fee, some dollar amount per month until their current contract is up, to start a new 2 year?

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Nope. No fee. If you are still in your current contract, you will need to buy a phone at retail price if you want a different phone. You can talk to them and see what they can do but other then that, nope.

packerbacker

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
There's no possible way to terminate it early and do another one? That's complete crap. If I had the money, I'd switch to AT&T (despite how much worse it is) because it'd be cheaper.

07GD SFD

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm in the same boat you are and would like a new device, but don't want to pay full retail. But I'm stuck and just need to wait.

You're willing to sacrifice Verizon's reliability just to get a new device? The dropped calls on AT&T were terrible. I'd never go back.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Certain areas AT&T is not as good but the same goes to VZW, there are spots where VZW gets dropped calls and AT&T.

packerbacker

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm in the same boat you are and would like a new device, but don't want to pay full retail. But I'm stuck and just need to wait.

You're willing to sacrifice Verizon's reliability just to get a new device? The dropped calls on AT&T were terrible. I'd never go back.

Nah. It was a thought I had for a brief time just because I'm so pissed at how long I have to wait. But I'll manage. I'll just have to flash different themes every so often so I don't get too bored with my Fascinate until November (if my dad has to get a new phone before then) or, at the very worst, May ('12).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johndoe11