1st Phone for a teen

rxgadget

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
Working on getting a phone for my son. The reason is mostly for emergencies. I do not want a iPhone! What are everyone's thoughts on the new HTC Desire 610 or Moto E

Sent using my Verizon Turbo charged 64GB Ballistic Nylon phone unfortunately with a case on back

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I think the E would be a good device to start with. Inexpensive, in case something does happen. Solid performer for a lot of tasks.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Moto e 2nd gen which goes under $50 quite often. Keep in mind it is a prepaid phone, so you would need an active Verizon 4GLTE sim card if used on post paid.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5

-Myk-

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
My teenager has a flip phone, he was given the phone for emergencies and my convenience. Those two things do not require a smart phone.

Von Spradlin

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
You could look into an HTC Desire 526, it's on the Verizon network and cost less than 75 dollars out the door. (full price)

I used it for 3 weeks while waiting for my G4.

Posted via the Android Central App

rxgadget

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
I know I want to track location and what he does on his phone. Verizon has a Family Member option to be able to restrict certain features and be able to locate the phone at anytime.
I am not sure if I go prepaid if I can still do this but if yes it would be $45/mos. I have no problem buying the phone in full less than $200. Verizon kills me with their $40 per month phone charge. I know the newest Desire came out and got good comments. A flip phone would be great but at this stage I want to teach responsibility and want him to text is our c call us anytime he needs to. If he has a game or two not a big deal as long as I can control the hours of use.

Sent using my Verizon Turbo charged 64GB Ballistic Nylon phone unfortunately with a case on back

Von Spradlin

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I actually use Straight Talk (with their Verizon byop Sim card), all because Verizon has the best 2g, 3g and LTE coverage in Alabama. I keep forgetting that, unlike with Straight Talk, you can't use any unlocked Verizon phone on a plan, like I did the Desire 526. They frown on that.

I have no idea if using Verizons prepaid service will get you the tracking you want. BUT, I do know they make an app where you can pretty much track every step of the phones use. From text messages, Web pages visited, pictures being sent and received , and GPS location at all times. Of course I believe there is a monthly fee for such an app, but it could give you peace of mind for the first few months while your teen earns some trust.

Good luck with whatever you decide. Even using Verizon there are a BUNCH of great phones at 200.00 and below. (Using AT&T or Tmobile would give you more choices though)

Last edited:

SaracenSam

Aug 23, 2015
Visit site
Basic phone. Too many risky things being done nowadays with kids and smartphones. Let him grow and develop emotionally a bit more before getting a smartphone.

rxgadget

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
Basic phone. Too many risky things being done nowadays with kids and smartphones. Let him grow and develop emotionally a bit more before getting a smartphone.

I really would prefer that myself. But kids would be the only one without a way to text like other same age kids. Looking at Verizon's family plan to view and manage what the phone can do. Not distrustful of my kid but others.

-Myk-

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
I really would prefer that myself. But kids would be the only one without a way to text like other same age kids. Looking at Verizon's family plan to view and manage what the phone can do. Not distrustful of my kid but others.

Who cares what other kids have, be a parent and make the correct choice for your child.

-Myk-

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
They did.... It isn't the same choice you'd make for your family, but you don't know them or their kids so you can't make that kind of blanket statement.

He said "I really would prefer that myself. But kids would be the only one without a way to text like other same age kids."

Which tells me he wants to make a choice be decided against it because of what some other kids can do. That doesn't sound like a good reason to get the kid a smart phone to me.

rxgadget

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
Who cares what other kids have, be a parent and make the correct choice for your child.
Unfortunately he is in the minority. The phone has to have email, texting calling plus access to Google Docs, Sheets etc or Microsoft versions to be able to check homework assignments when he can't use the computer. So a non smart phone won't work.
Also in this day and age is no different with Bullies and the teasing and while it is not appropriate.
Lastly I want him to learn to be trusted with a smart phone. He takes care of his stuff and is responsible. He is not privileged and it will be what he gets for the Holidays and Birthday with no other gifts or with some of his allowance additionally.
I want what will work best for him and his needs

UDPGuy

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site
Unfortunately he is in the minority. The phone has to have email, texting calling plus access to Google Docs, Sheets etc or Microsoft versions to be able to check homework assignments when he can't use the computer. So a non smart phone won't work.
Also in this day and age is no different with Bullies and the teasing and while it is not appropriate.
Lastly I want him to learn to be trusted with a smart phone. He takes care of his stuff and is responsible. He is not privileged and it will be what he gets for the Holidays and Birthday with no other gifts or with some of his allowance additionally.
I want what will work best for him and his needs

You can get family base to limit some things, but smartphone or not you'll have issues with the bullies. Easiest thing to do, is get him a phone be can block numbers on. Or block them via family base. IPhone (I know, you don't want it) probably has the best restrictions you can put on his phone. But if I remember correctly, you can cut off texting and such during certain hours on family base I.E. during school or late at night.

Not trying to give you parent advice, as only you know what is right for your child, is to get him a phone (maybe even give him a choice of a couple) and set guidelines with him. With family base you can shut off his data (and possibly texting) at your will. So if he slips, make his phone useless unless it's to talk to you.

If bullying is an issue, just block the numbers. If it continues to be an issue (as much as I didn't like this) get the school involved. Or even the kids parents. There is no reason to bully someone. None at all.

Again, just my two cents. I'd be more then happy to help you choose what phones the best out of a list if you'd like! (I work at best buy, sell phones to people just like your situation all the time)

Posted via Nexus 6 with unlimited international data via AT&T

rxgadget

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
I appreciate everyone's input. So far I am looking at the HTC Desire 516 I think. It's on Verizon.. With the new plans I can save over one hundred dollars off the bottom line for my MIFI Hotspot out of contract. The phone costs about $120 which is peanuts compared to similar phones. Restrictions will be manually adjusted by me and Verizon Family plan.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I appreciate everyone's input. So far I am looking at the HTC Desire 516 I think. It's on Verizon.. With the new plans I can save over one hundred dollars off the bottom line for my MIFI Hotspot out of contract. The phone costs about $120 which is peanuts compared to similar phones. Restrictions will be manually adjusted by me and Verizon Family plan.

Did you mean 526?if so, the cpu is going to be a bit slow compared to the Moto e 2nd gen. On the plus side it does have 1.5gb ram

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech