Free VZW Network Extender offered

masego

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
So out of the blue, I just got a call from Verizon offering me a free Network Extender. I've never had any connection issues at home - my Incredible consistently shows 3-4 bars. Anyway, the rep said they were offering the unit to certain customers and said something about my area (Chicago) being a test market for the offer. She promised me there was absolutely no way I would possibly be charged for anything related to the offer, so I said sure, go ahead and send it.

Has anyone else gotten this offer? I assume it's some sort of preemptive strike against a heavier network load once the iPhone comes to Verizon-town.

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I have not and things like this tick me off. A customer is a customer and it's not fair to make special offers to select customers ignoring the rest of their billions of subscribers. This is not the first special offer I've seen Verizon do. I wonder what criteria they use to single out special customers? I called them on another one awhile back that people on another board were getting and some were getting it even though they weren't offered it. They told me I could not because I did not receive the email. I asked her how to get on their list of special people. She told me to subscribe to their mailing list for special offers which I'd already done a long time ago and haven't seen a special offer of lower plan prices, network extenders or anything else. The most I get are sale offers, but never anything free.

sivartk

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I got that "lower rate" that you didn't get. Even without the official email. I've been with Verizon for 9 years, so that may have something to do with it.

No extender offer for me, though.

keepnitreel

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
I here that Verizon phones within range of your extender will also use the single. Sounds like a cheap way for them to boost signals to phones in the area off your internet connection.

Sent from my D1!

Menno

Coffee Addict
Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I here that Verizon phones within range of your extender will also use the single. Sounds like a cheap way for them to boost signals to phones in the area off your internet connection.

Sent from my D1!

It's not locked to just your phones, no. But the signal isn't that large. It really won't go much past your house, so unless you're inviting strangers into your house you should be fine.

You can also set priority numbers, meaning that you'll always get a connection on your own router even if you're throwing a party and everyone is on their phones.

The alternative is to lock it to specific numbers, and then you can't share it with friends when they come over.

Sheepdog Elite

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

Sent from my D1!

The network extender can be locked to six phones. It's not a free connection for anyone who can get next to it. The range is approximately 40 feet radius.

DikaiaKnight

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
There was a number posted on some sites that you could supposedly call and they would send you one. People were sting it was working for them. I never called because for the most part my signal is ok at home but I kind of wish I had tried to get one. I will see if I can get the number.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21