Verizon raising the price for Unlimited Data Plan by $20 after November 15, 2015

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Eh, I already went to T-Mobile. I have two phones. I suspend service on VZW when I'm not using it. Curiously, T-Mobile gets better service in my area. I've had VZW around 15yrs, and I've been with T-Mobile about three years. I've traveled the US and globally. International, T-Mobile all the way. Domestic varies by market.

Nathan Bael

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Does this mean we won't have to pay the extra $20 for tethering now? I know you could root, but I always paid the extra 20 on months that I wanted to tether.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Does this mean we won't have to pay the extra $20 for tethering now? I know you could root, but I always paid the extra 20 on months that I wanted to tether.

$20? I always thought it was $30 - it's $30 on my account.

You'll still have to pay extra to tether.

Posted via the Android Central App

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Eh, I already went to T-Mobile. I have two phones. I suspend service on VZW when I'm not using it. Curiously, T-Mobile gets better service in my area. I've had VZW around 15yrs, and I've been with T-Mobile about three years. I've traveled the US and globally. International, T-Mobile all the way. Domestic varies by market.

Well then.

..slow clap...

:)

VooDooCC

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Heard about this today. Have 1 udp, 1 double data promo 4 gig, 1 regular 2 gig, 1 dumb phone. 750 minutes, no texting (that's what hangouts, gv, and Facebook are for)
If I did the math right, I would get 6 gigs to share for the same price I'm paying now for all of that.
But since my udp is under contact for another year, nothing to worry about?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Heard about this today. Have 1 udp, 1 double data promo 4 gig, 1 regular 2 gig, 1 dumb phone. 750 minutes, no texting (that's what hangouts, gv, and Facebook are for)
If I did the math right, I would get 6 gigs to share for the same price I'm paying now for all of that.
But since my udp is under contact for another year, nothing to worry about?
According to current rumors, you would be fine for the remainder of the unlimited data contract

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5

jlgraham

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
The sad thing is that in my area, it'll probably still be worth it to just pay the price. I have the 450min/unlimited text plan (59.99) with unlimited data (29.99). After the $8/mo insurance and taxes my bill is ~103 a month, so ~$123 with the new price. I'm dropping the insurance anyways, so with this new charge my bill will be ~$115. Still a better deal than their 18gb plan. I use on average about ~25GB a month, and that's without tethering (I have broadband at home). My VZW plan will cost about ~$30 more a month than T-Mobile's $80 unlimited plan (ATT & Sprint are not options for me), and in the grand scheme of things it's mostly worth it for the dramatically wider coverage. Although when I think about in terms of a year, i.e. $360 more for VZW than T-Mo, it makes the idea of switching more tempting.

I'm going to call CS a few times and complain, loudly, but the writing has been on the wall for a long time. If I can stomach the drop in coverage I'll switch to T-Mobile just so I'm not giving more money to Verizon, they've burned me too many times now. But I have a feeling I'll just stay and pay the price, unfortunately.

Edit: Update; I called Verizon CS, and the rep didn't know what I was talking about. His supervisor "didn't know anything about it", until I pressed and finally they admitted that my bill will go up by $20 on the next cycle. As to why they haven't informed customers, I basically got the idea that this info leaked and they haven't had a chance to update anyone, but I didn't get a solid answer.

The reason he gave for the increase was that "more people are using data, and it costs us more money to deliver that data". That makes sense, it's true people are using more and more data and obviously that does come with overhead costs for VZW, but what about device subsidies? Since the cost of my plan never went down when my contract ended (way back in 2012), I'm still paying for a device subsidy that I can't use, since I can't "upgrade". So if it really is about the cost of delivering data, aren't they recouping that already since I'm paying them for a subsidy that I'm not using?

I mentioned the subsidies and the rep confirmed that we will now be able to use the payment option to spread the cost of the device over 24 months, but that's still paying for the full price of the phone on top of the "subsidy" I already pay, so it's a moot point!

Last edited:

mbkintner

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
Won't we be able to renew our contract through one of the loophole methods 30-60 days before the current contract expires and avoid the increase?

This seems too obvious so I suspect Verizon has accounted for it in some way so that it won't work.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Won't we be able to renew our contract through one of the loophole methods 30-60 days before the current contract expires and avoid the increase?

This seems too obvious so I suspect Verizon has accounted for it in some way so that it won't work.

We'll need to give it a try.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The sad thing is that in my area, it'll probably still be worth it to just pay the price. I have the 450min/unlimited text plan (59.99) with unlimited data (29.99). After th $8/mo insurance and taxes my bill is ~103 a month, so ~$123 with the new price. I'm dropping the insurance anyways, so with this new charge my bill will be ~$115. Still a better deal than their 18gb plan. For me it's even still a better deal than T-Mo's ~$80 unlimited plan, since their coverage is lacking in my area.

I'm going to call CS a few times and complain, loudly, but the writing has been on the wall for a long time. If I can stomach the drop in coverage I'll switch to T-Mobile just so I'm not giving more money to Verizon, they've burned me too many times now. But I have a feeling I'll just stay and pay the price, unfortunately.

The key is that you're month to month and out of contract.

mbkintner

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
We'll need to give it a try.

With the SIM swap method my concern would be that the pending activation wouldn't fall off before the price increase hits.

If a TDP line is already under contract can you still transfer an upgrade to it from a UDP line? Could you then cycle multiple upgrades through that under contract TDP line?

RussianMenace

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
While this sucks, it's still a better deal (at least in my case) than anything competition can offer. I currently pay $67/mo for 450min+unlimited txt +unlimited data. Now I'll be paying $87. Again, it sucks, but it's nothing that will make me leave verizon as there isn't anything competitive at that price with similar coverage.

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
WOW, this made me check my options and I'll be saving money. I use 8-10 g/month.
Does this make sense? Or am I missing something?

Current....
900 Min. $60;
UDP $30
1000 Text $10
---------TOTAL $100

New. 12 Gb for $62.40, + $20 for 1 line. TOTAL = $82.40.

Plus, my new phone cost on payment (waiting for Turbo 2) rather than paying $600 retail to keep my UDP.

Does this sound like a reasonably plan?

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Check the new rates. I don't know when this happened, but I just saw this on line

3GB $35.10
6GB $46.80
12GB $62.40
18GB $78.00

Of course there's still the $20 line charge.

EDIT: This doesn't seem to be the case when you go on line. But when I went into my account, went in to the options to change my plan, these prices came up.

Last edited:

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Check the new rates. I don't know when this happened, but I just saw this on line

3GB $35.10
6GB $46.80
12GB $62.40
18GB $78.00

Of course there's still the $20 line charge.

EDIT: This doesn't seem to be the case when you go on line. But when I went into my account, went in to the options to change my plan, these prices came up.

Hal1, are you getting an employee discount through your employer? That could be why you see the normal rates on the website, but if you login and "pretend" to make a change yourself, they show the corporate discounted rates. Although that does seem like a large discount for you at 22%. My company has a 15% agreement with Verizon, so for example, I got the 18GB $100 plan for $85 and that is what shows up when Iogin to the site. I just changed mine to the new Verizon 18GB plan yesterday. I was getting 15GB on the More Everything plan for $100 ($85 after discount) so I added the 3GB and went with the 18GB plan for the same price. Why not increase by 3GB for free??

supert1020

May 24, 2011
Visit site
It's not a problem T-mobile has unlimited data and its much cheaper then Verizon I personally use 25gb my self. Just go to T-mobile and save money.

WaddyPeytona

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
If a TDP line is already under contract can you still transfer an upgrade to it from a UDP line? Could you then cycle multiple upgrades through that under contract TDP line?

Same question: can I put my UDP line "under contract" and keep the $30 rate by transferring its upgrade to another line, or do you have to actually buy a subsidized phone on the UDP line?

mbkintner

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
Same question: can I put my UDP line "under contract" and keep the $30 rate by transferring its upgrade to another line, or do you have to actually buy a subsidized phone on the UDP line?
Our questions aren't really the same. You are asking about a normal loophole upgrade.

I'm asking about cycling multiple UDP line upgrades through a single TDP line while it is still under contract.

ltjordan24

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Re: Verizon to raise the price of unlimited data by $20 in November

The price increase is permanent. It's $50.00 per user per month for anyone still on a grandfathered unlimited data plan. The whole point is to get people to give up their unlimited data plans and switch over to one of their share plans.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay