Verizon raising the price for Unlimited Data Plan by $20 after November 15, 2015

mbkintner

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: Verizon to raise the price of unlimited data by $20 in November

The price increase is permanent. It's $50.00 per user per month for anyone still on a grandfathered unlimited data plan. The whole point is to get people to give up their unlimited data plans and switch over to one of their share plans.
Of course it's permanent and of course that's the point. But it doesn't go into affect on your line unless you are off contract. The question is if you will be able to avoid the increase after November 15th by staying on contract.

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Hal1, are you getting an employee discount through your employer? That could be why you see the normal rates on the website, but if you login and "pretend" to make a change yourself, they show the corporate discounted rates. Although that does seem like a large discount for you at 22%.

That's a good thought, but my discount is 19% so it doesn't quite add up. I do get the 3% for paperless billing. That would bring it to 22% but I would think that would be a separate item. I guess I'll go with the proverbial 'call them'. I just hate that though. You know, the whole thing where ou call 3 different times and get 3 different answers

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
It's not a problem T-mobile has unlimited data and its much cheaper then Verizon I personally use 25gb my self. Just go to T-mobile and save money.

Posted via the Android Central App
There are things that Verizon unlimited data can do that tmobile can't.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5

Almighty1

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Yes you can assuming that you have a tax ID

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5

Have a TIN which is required for a Business Banking Account as a Sole Proprietor but what's the correct procedure to change the account from personal to business without losing the UDP?

Almighty1

May 19, 2011
Visit site
There are things that Verizon unlimited data can do that tmobile can't.

Been with Verizon Wireless since GTE MobileNet in 1989. In the US, basically Verizon is the best in reliability, network quality and customer service.
T-Mobile has excellent customer service but in the U.S., it doesn't always work when you need it. Internationally though excluding the U.S., T-Mobile would be better than Verizon Wireless as lots of things are included.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Honestly if I had an UDP on VZW I wouldn't sweat the $20 increase -- especially if you use a good amount of data. The prices for the tiered just don't match what you get for unlimited. Also the no throttle on the UDP from VZW is pretty awesome as well.

Technified

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Honestly if I had an UDP on VZW I wouldn't sweat the $20 increase -- especially if you use a good amount of data. The prices for the tiered just don't match what you get for unlimited. Also the no throttle on the UDP from VZW is pretty awesome as well.

That's my whole thinking! I use a lot of data so this increase is not all that bad! Their tiered plans don't work for me!

Posted via my Galaxy Note 5

Channan

Keyboard Warrior
Mar 21, 2010
Visit site

Yeah, I use way too much data for it to be feasible to switch to tiered data. Even at $50/month, that's way cheaper than I'd pay per GB. Though, if the Moto X can still do hotspot on Verizon by December when my contract ends, I'll probably drop my $30/month hotspot add-on to offset the cost of the increase. It's a great deal even at $50 for just the data portion, but it's still a lot of money every month with the hotspot and minutes added on top of that.

deparson

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
Does this mean "Big Red" is going to stop charging me the monthly subsidized phone fees ($25.00 each) for my "out of contract" (been since last February) 2 UDP lines? I've called about this in the past and was told "no and that UDP lines don't drop that cost after the 2 year contract has ended". If paying for phones which I have paid off and "own" goes away maybe, but if that remains and a $20.00 increase might send me packing after 13 years. I don't want to go "Pink" but it is getting harder and harder to justify the cost vs. coverage. Heck for what I pay for my 2 UDP lines I could put 4 with 10GB each for about the same.

You can switch to a current retail plan and achieve what you want.

deparson

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site

Exactly. And this increase is the first of several leading up to the elimination of UDPs by 2018. A good thing for 99+% of users.

Droid_Evo_8

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site

I got to talk to one of their agents online and complained about this. She gave me a special deal of unlimited EVERYTHING (up from my 450mins/month with unlimited text and unlimited data) for another year after my bill on the 20th. Good deal or nah? Cause I was about to tell her that I'm leaving for Tmobile and buy me a Nexus 6P or go to Project Fi with it instead of TMobile.

JnEricsonx

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site

Is your bill going to go up, etc, despite getting all the unlimited, etc? I'm just wondering, cause hell, I might go complain myself.

Droid_Evo_8

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site

Is your bill going to go up, etc, despite getting all the unlimited, etc? I'm just wondering, cause hell, I might go complain myself.

They were gonna raise up another $20 on my $95/month on my 450mins/month with unlimited text and unlimited data. I complained so they gave me a deal.

gimpy1

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm on an unlimited "government" plan. At the end of this month, Verizon is taking away our unlimited if we (I have 4 lines on it) change our plan or do an upgrade. 😕😠

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

jj2me

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
They were gonna raise up another $20 on my $95/month on my 450mins/month with unlimited text and unlimited data. I complained so they gave me a deal.

Because you originally asked, "Good deal or nah?", I still don't understand if the deal you're being offered includes the $20 price increase, because if they weren't going to increase your bill, why would you ask if it's a good deal?

If you are being charged an additional $20, I think it might still be a good deal, because you're getting a unique product that you can't get access to again if you drop it. Unlimited data from Verizon is the best because it's really unlimited with no throttling.

But it really depends on your circumstances. In my case, with 450 min. and no texting plan, I'd jump on it. In your case, you're really only getting unlimited peak voice minutes added, and if that means nothing to you, then you're in the same boat as the rest of us, namely, is unlimited data worth $20 additional.

alsip1023

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Is it still a good deal after the $20 increase? I guess it's still not bad if you use that much data. Should we be happy with it? Absolutely not. If you're grandfathered in, you're a pretty loyal customer. How does Verizon want to show their appreciation? Jack the price up exclusively on the grandfathered folks.

First thing I did when I saw this a few days ago was start shopping for my new carrier and plan. Options aren't great anywhere really. I'm really hoping T-Mobile siezes the opportunity and brings the truly unlimited data/tether plan back. I don't feel like sticking around with Verizon so they can jack my rate up every few months until I leave. I'd rather cut my losses and give them the boot now. They obviously want us gone, so it's not going to hurt them a bit...but there's something satisfying about the thought of giving Verizon the middle finger rather than thanking them for the price increase by sticking with them.

So...which carrier wants the Verizon outcasts enough to offer a plan that makes up come running with dollar bills waving? I'm surprised there hasn't been a single carrier yet that saw this as an opportunity to win 1% of Verizon's most loyal customer base!