Verizon raising the price for Unlimited Data Plan by $20 after November 15, 2015

Technified

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I have been seeing mixed comments on the price hike. As for myself, I really wasn't bothered by the hike cus due to my data consumption none of verizons plans would work for me. Also I am not looking to go to t-mobile or Sprint anytime soon if I can help it!

Plus I have an employee discount and if it's true what it says in the link about employee discount then I'm good lol. But as I stated I wasn't bothered by it!

Posted via my Galaxy Note 5

Climb14er

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Just got off the phone with VZ supervisor....

I have UDP, corporate account WITH tax ID and am off contract.

He says no increase under above conditions.

For those accounts w/o tax ID... increase will go into effect.

Looks like VZ is continuing to squeeze as much from nearly every customer they can. It doesn't matter how long you've been with them and I like others, a long time.

Between VZ and Comcast... Cellular, WiFi and Cable are rackets to get your last dollar.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I wonder if the upcoming Microsoft Windows 10 phones like the 950 and 950XL (although currently it appears those two aren't coming to Verizon), and their ability to dock and act almost like a Windows PC, are what precipitated this.

Imagine having unlimited LTE for your PC for $50. This possibility gives me pause before going to another plan. I may stick with unlimited for a while, paying the extra $20, until i see how Windows 10 on phones unfolds. (Even though I average only about 2 GB, except in the summer when I might go to 4 GB in a peak month while on vacation.)
The 950/950XL lack CDMA radios, so those won't work on Verizon or Sprint.

F34R

F34RTEHDR01D
Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
This is going to kill me if I'm reading the correctly.

I have four UDP lines for my family (I really needed one more)...

Three off contract, one on contract 'til next year in Oct. So, for now I'll have a $60 month increase! UGH!!

imma_rage_quit

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
Re: Verizon to raise the price of unlimited data by $20 in November

I got confirmation from two Verizon reps yesterday that they are indeed planning on increasing the price of the plans next month

landale

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
Re: Verizon to raise the price of unlimited data by $20 in November

What bothers me the most about this is that there are plenty of people who have unlimited data but don't use 20GB+ of data however still would see a price increase with a chance to the regular Verizon plans.

I kinda wish they would have allowed people to stay at the $29.99 rate and maybe throttled it after 10GB or offer a 2GB bonus for life on the regular plans. If they had done something like that I probably would have at least thought about staying of course we will see what they say when I call them before I make the official switch some time next month.

F34R

F34RTEHDR01D
Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
$50 for unlimited data is better than $45 for 3gb.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
I agree, and I'm not against it other than it is an increase, and it will affect 3 lines (the 4th eventually).

I'm working on planning to try and get all my phones back under contract w/o losing my udp lol.

jj2me

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
$50 for unlimited data is better than $45 for 3g

Except you only need to add $20 to the $45 (for unlimited talk and text). The $30-now-$50 for unlimited data required separate voice minutes and texting plan charges. I pay $40 for 450 peak voice minutes, and the minimum text charge for limited texts was $5 and is now $10.

$65 for 3 GB vs. $90-$100 with voice and text restrictions. If you had a 750- or 900-minute plan, and unlimited texts, you'll be paying well over $100.

oscarnyc

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't understand people who use their phone as a home wireless router. Isn't it easier, and likely cheaper to just get a broadband plan for like $50/month?

Posted via the Android Central App

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I don't understand people who use their phone as a home wireless router. Isn't it easier, and likely cheaper to just get a broadband plan for like $50/month?

In my situation, twc gets heavily bogged down in peak times, to well under 1mbps at times. I can't even stream a single youtube stream without buffering. Otoh, with the Verizon 4GLTE broadband router with voice or the jetpack with dock can act as home Internet with much faster speeds at my house.

Cost wise, twc wanted $57 for 50mbps, with Verizon I am now paying $45 for 100mbps+, though it will go up to $65 once I am off contract. But keep in mind that at least for now, I can also get phones at subsidized pricing through loopholes.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
I know that, but thought I read where Cricket speeds are throttled compared to ATT. But quite frankly, my informal speed tests of vz and cricket often shows cricket is faster. I'm using a nexus 5 on cricket and N6 on vz.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Were you also using your Nexus 5 to test T-Mobile? If so, you may want to retry with the Nexus 6. The N6 has support for T-Mobile's band 12 LTE which the N5 does not.

bulabula

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Yfan, yes I was using the N5 on Tmo. I live and work in the Wash DC/Baltimore/Annapolis region and the Tmo service on the N5 sucked compared to vz (on my old Maxx). I'm glad you mentioned the band 12 on Sprint with the N6, I was not aware, and was using my N5 experience with Tmo as a reason to not consider Fi with my N6.
On my UDP, I was on a corporate plan, but then jumped to the govt side and now getting a govt discount, but it's not clear to me after reading the article if the $20 hike applies to me (prolly...). I need to call big red and ask.

I love this forum.
Chris

Sent from either my Nexus 5/6/7

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Except you only need to add $20 to the $45 (for unlimited talk and text). The $30-now-$50 for unlimited data required separate voice minutes and texting plan charges. I pay $40 for 450 peak voice minutes, and the minimum text charge for limited texts was $5 and is now $10.

$65 for 3 GB vs. $90-$100 with voice and text restrictions. If you had a 750- or 900-minute plan, and unlimited texts, you'll be paying well over $100.

^^^^^This . . . the cost is steep to keep UDP with limited air time and add on text package. I have same calling plan, no text package (I use GV instead).

Climb14er

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site

As an example... I have UDP, Unlimited talk, 1000 texts and Asurion Extended warranty and I pay $118.00 plus taxes. Have had this Corp business plan for years.

Side note... having a business is not all its cracked up to be. My health insurance skyrocketed under Obamacare. MAKES THE Twenty Bucks I save under UDP seem miniscule.

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
It's a passive-aggressive play to push people out of UDP without "canceling" the program. VZW doesn't care if you close your account. They want everyone off UDP.

KiwiCoalBattery

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Price increase sucks, but at least it's an option to keep UDP versus them just outright killing it. Admittedly, my employee discount helps in that it will drop the increase to only $10. But even without the discount, it's still a better value for my uses than any of their other data plans.

someone help me do some math... :)

is it better to go to ditch unlimited plan if someone currently has a family share account with 1 smartphone(UDP) and 2 dumphones(no data). has 20% employee discount. the monthly usage is never more than 15GB for the last few years. are there any current Verizon plans that are better for someone in that situation?

uvarules

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I'll play since now the gloves are off from Verizon. So this means I should be able to swap out my 3G card now on my plan to a 4G card with no worries about changing my data plan. Yes/No?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz