Verizon raising the price for Unlimited Data Plan by $20 after November 15, 2015

dcastillo

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
Re: Verizon to raise the price of unlimited data by $20 in November

This will be tough, wife and i use about 15gb total... After discounts final bill is 124.... What to do....

Posted via the Android Central App

mtva24

May 28, 2013
Visit site

Note that this change only impacts customers who are out of contract; if you're signed to an existing two-year agreement, you'll keep your current rate for the term of that contract. Once you go month-to-month, the $49.99 data fee takes effect.

Good thing I just renewed in August

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Question is what happens if you go on contract again? Does the $50 go down to $30? Or does it stay at $50?

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5

Downwind

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site

I've been with Verizon for almost 20 years but this is the last straw. I'm going to give Google's Project Fi a shot.

Droid3r

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site

My upgrade date is October 21...im planning to use bestbuy method once again.... Do we have until November 15 to upgrade using bestbuy method to avoid the 20 dollars increase???

Sent from my HTC6600LVW using Tapatalk

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

My upgrade date is October 21...im planning to use bestbuy method once again.... Do we have until November 15 to upgrade using bestbuy method to avoid the 20 dollars increase???

Sent from my HTC6600LVW using Tapatalk
Probably, but I would use it sooner rather than later...

jj2me

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

This will be tough, wife and i use about 15gb total... After discounts final bill is 124.... What to do....

Stay with unlimited? You'd each be paying about what a single line UDP customer (without any discounts) is now paying, if that's any solace.

If you switched plans, wouldn't it be $20 x 2, plus $100 for 15 gigs [Correction: 18 gigs], minus your discount? That would be less money, but with unlimited, you have no overages to worry about, especially since most of us increase our data usage a little each year.

To all the Project Fi converts, since Google charges $10/GB, that doesn't seem to be a replacement for unlimited, unless you've been a relatively light data user (7 GB/mo. or less) and expect to remain so.

Last edited:

landale

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site

Stay with unlimited? You'd each be paying about what a single line UDP customer (without any discounts) is now paying, if that's any solace.

If you switched plans, wouldn't it be $20 x 2, plus $100 for 15 gigs, minus your discount? That would be less money, but with unlimited, you have no overages to worry about, especially since most of us increase our data usage a little each year.

To all the Project Fi converts, since Google charges $10/GB, that doesn't seem to be a replacement for unlimited, unless you've been a relatively light data user (7 GB/mo. or less) and expect to remain so.

In my case I don't use a lot of data but it varies widely month to month. In the past 6 months I have used as little as 1.5GB and as much as 4.8GB. I have kept my unlimited because I still have that old $20 off promo for unlimited data making it only cost $9.99 for me. With this change it's possible this discount will drop completely and raise my bill $40 although even if it's only $20 it's too steep for my use. To keep my current price similar with Verizon I'd have to settle for 3GB which wouldn't be enough.

Since my data cycle ends on the 8th I at least have until December 8th to make a decision so I will wait and see what Verizon might offer otherwise I might go the T-Mobile or Project Fi route.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Things to note:

• Only applies if you're out of contract. If you're still on contract, you will not see this increase until your contract is up
  • Does not apply to government and corporate accounts. No increases on those lines.
  • Out of contract customers with the Unlimited Data Plan are now eligible to buy phones on Verizon's device payment plans

Not surprising since you're now out of contract. At least they didn't wipe out the plan altogether.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Things to note:

• Only applies if you're out of contract. If you're still on contract, you will not see this increase until your contract is up
  • Does not apply to government and corporate accounts. No increases on those lines.
  • Out of contract customers with the Unlimited Data Plan are now eligible to buy phones on Verizon's device payment plans

Not surprising since you're now out of contract. At least they didn't wipe out the plan altogether.
Those on plans where unlimited data isn't a separate charge also won't be affected.

imma_rage_quit

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site

Yep this will be the straw that broke the camel's back for me. I've been thinking about going to AT&T and bundling it with my DirecTV for several months now because Verizon's service at my home and my work is total ****e! So if my bill is going to go up another $20 for service I can barely use then peace out! All they want is to find new ways to screw loyal clients!

thecabinboy

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
Does this mean "Big Red" is going to stop charging me the monthly subsidized phone fees ($25.00 each) for my "out of contract" (been since last February) 2 UDP lines? I've called about this in the past and was told "no and that UDP lines don't drop that cost after the 2 year contract has ended". If paying for phones which I have paid off and "own" goes away maybe, but if that remains and a $20.00 increase might send me packing after 13 years. I don't want to go "Pink" but it is getting harder and harder to justify the cost vs. coverage. Heck for what I pay for my 2 UDP lines I could put 4 with 10GB each for about the same.

phantomog

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site

Those on plans where unlimited data isn't a separate charge also won't be affected.

Just checked my bill online. Was hoping the old talk&text+data plan didn't have a separate charge but each line has 29.99 "email & unlimited web" charge along with the 20 discount. Think I'll be hit? If so, its times to use up all my upgrades.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Just checked my bill online. Was hoping the old talk&text+data plan didn't have a separate charge but each line has 29.99 "email & unlimited web" charge along with the 20 discount. Think I'll be hit? If so, its times to use up all my upgrades.

You will be hit.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Does this mean "Big Red" is going to stop charging me the monthly subsidized phone fees ($25.00 each) for my "out of contract" (been since last February) 2 UDP lines? I've called about this in the past and was told "no and that UDP lines don't drop that cost after the 2 year contract has ended". If paying for phones which I have paid off and "own" goes away maybe, but if that remains and a $20.00 increase might send me packing after 13 years. I don't want to go "Pink" but it is getting harder and harder to justify the cost vs. coverage. Heck for what I pay for my 2 UDP lines I could put 4 with 10GB each for about the same.

Does your current plan separate out the "subsidy"?

phantomog

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site

You will be hit.

D'oh! I don't want a new phone right now, but I have 2 upgrades available on unlimited lines and it will probably save me money to use the upgrades. Oh well, time to go shopping.

dcastillo

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
Judging by the responses, it sounds like the best buy method still works? I never read up on it, but guess i should.. Amy chance there's a short forum chat describing it?

Posted via the Android Central App

ihtc

May 1, 2010
Visit site

In my case I don't use a lot of data but it varies widely month to month. In the past 6 months I have used as little as 1.5GB and as much as 4.8GB. I have kept my unlimited because I still have that old $20 off promo for unlimited data making it only cost $9.99 for me. With this change it's possible this discount will drop completely and raise my bill $40 although even if it's only $20 it's too steep for my use. To keep my current price similar with Verizon I'd have to settle for 3GB which wouldn't be enough.

Since my data cycle ends on the 8th I at least have until December 8th to make a decision so I will wait and see what Verizon might offer otherwise I might go the T-Mobile or Project Fi route.

I have the same $20 off discount luckily one of the two lines i have with unlimited has a year left on its contract the other I will have to see what happens

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karim174