New Phone for grandma, suggestions please?

freakyhair

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm adding my mom (late 60's, not too old, but not extremely tech savvy) to my VZW plan, and was all set to get her the lovely Moto G, until I realized it won't work on VZW :( I plan on purchasing the phone outright, unless there is a good reason to "finance" it over 2 years.

All she will do on the phone is call, text, maybe use maps?

• New Phone (not used)
  • Relatively new tech (that will continue to be updated for awhile)
  • Less expensive is better
  • Nothing huge

I'm thinking of just getting another 2014 Moto X, but am worried that it's starting to get stale and will lack updates? I could also get a Droid Turbo "new" on Swappa for just about $300.

Any better suggestions? Thanks!!!!

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I imagine Verizon should be offering some good deals on last year's Turbo. The size is right, good battery; it's a good option.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
We just helped my elderly mother-in-law get a new phone on Verizon. It was a Galaxy Core Prime and she's been pretty happy with it. It has an easy mode you can turn on in case your mom would like something along those lines.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I would avoid Motorola Verizon devices if you want updates. The x 14 won't get marshmallow. I believe that the turbo is slated to get marshmallow.

The iPhone seems easier to use for the less tech savy,though not cheap.

The Moto e 2nd gen can be had for $25-50 on sale and it is a 2015 release... But won't get marshmallow either...

The g4 is $252 ar if you finance it,the note 5 $233 with a bit of work... But those might be too big.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5

freakyhair

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I did some shopping around, hitting up Verizon, Best Buy and Target to see what deals I could get. The best deal by far was offered by the Verizon rep in store. He said he would give me a $300 credit for trading in one of my old phones when porting my mom's number to my account (I would be trading in an old, working Galaxy S3 from my old Sprint account). He mentioned that he can only do the $300 credit through the end of the month, and that he doesn't know if it will work after the 31st...

Can anyone familiar with Verizon's deal verify this ($300 credit only through end of month)? Or was he just using a "buy now" sales tactic? I'd prefer to wait another week or two.

The phones I think I've narrowed it down to are:
  • Droid Turbo (orig): Love the big battery/durability. Will get the marshmallow update, which should be enough to last a couple years. Would have to go on sale as it's replacement is coming out now. No deals yet.
  • Galaxy s5/s6: I'm not a huge fan of Samsung's bloated phones, but that easy mode looks right up her alley.
  • iPhone 5s: Also not a fan of iOS, but can't deny the usability. unfortunately, I will be the support point. (My wife has a 5s and she likes it).

Thanks again for all your help!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
No one knows when that promotion will end, but it has been going on for a long time, I don't see why it would be ending now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tgksnow