Does Verizon care if you buy phones at $300/$400 off and pay off device payment plan to frequently?

badkitties

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Does Verizon care if you buy phones at $300/$400 off and pay off device payment plan to frequently?

In the last month, I bought 3 Note 5s because of the $400 off. There was the $200 off at time of purchase, plus another $200 for trading in a $5 Verizon prepaid smartphone.

Paid off the device payment plans as soon as they showed up on my account.(usually a week or two) The lines were disconnected, obviously.

The new Droid Turbo 2 also has a $300 trade-in offer and I will again use one of my almost-$0 prepaid smartphones to get the $300. Also plan to pay off the device payment plan plan as soon as humanly possible.

Just wanted to know if I'm breaking some unspoken Verizon rule or something? :)

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site

In the last month, I bought 3 Note 5s because of the $400 off. There was the $200 off at time of purchase, plus another $200 for trading in a $5 Verizon prepaid smartphone.

Paid off the device payment plans as soon as they showed up on my account.(usually a week or two) The lines were disconnected, obviously.

The new Droid Turbo 2 also has a $300 trade-in offer and I will again use one of my almost-$0 prepaid smartphones to get the $300. Also plan to pay off the device payment plan plan as soon as humanly possible.

Just wanted to know if I'm breaking some unspoken Verizon rule or something? :)

No. Verizon makes most of their $$ on the plans, so the faster you pay the phone off is better for verizon.

oscarnyc

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Clearly they are losing money on the phones at those discounted prices, with the expectation that you'll hold on to the new line which is basically gravy. But they are big boys and know that some people will take advantage. I suppose at some point they could cut you off from new deals. But I can't see them killing your service since that is where they make their money.

Posted via the Android Central App

badkitties

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
You're not breaking any rules. They allow it.

Can I show your post to Verizon, if this ever becomes an issue? :D :D :D

Within the last 37 days, I have purchased and then paid off the Device Payment
balance balances in full for 8 smartphones(5 Note 5, 2 LG G4, 1 iPhone 6 Plus)

The deals were just too good to pass up. It also caused my local Best Buy
store to ask why I needed to buy 16 $7 to $9.99 prepaid Verizon smartphones.
(all traded to Verizon because of their $200, $300 or $400 trade in deals)

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Can I show your post to Verizon, if this ever becomes an issue? :D :D :D

Within the last 37 days, I have purchased and then paid off the Device Payment
balance balances in full for 8 smartphones(5 Note 5, 2 LG G4, 1 iPhone 6 Plus)

The deals were just too good to pass up. It also caused my local Best Buy
store to ask why I needed to buy 16 $7 to $9.99 prepaid Verizon smartphones.
(all traded to Verizon because of their $200, $300 or $400 trade in deals)

I am just saying if it was an issue they would simply stop doing it (example: unlimited data is no longer offered directly from Verizon by walking into a store and requesting it). They're offering this to customers so taking advantage of it isn't really against anything.

badkitties

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I am just saying if it was an issue they would simply stop doing it (example: unlimited data is no longer offered directly from Verizon by walking into a store and requesting it). They're offering this to customers so taking advantage of it isn't really against anything.

Until Verizon figures out that all 8 smartphones that I got from them are now using AT&T and T-Mobile SIM cards. :D

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Until Verizon figures out that all 8 smartphones that I got from them are now using AT&T and T-Mobile SIM cards. :D

Na :). They had to agree to their phones being unlocked for spectrum so they can't be mad if people use them for other things.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I dont think that Verizon is taking much of a hit at any purchase price. It seems that Verizon is paid a commission from the OEM on devices sold, and they are not buying a bunch of phones at $x.xx and trying to sell them for a buck.

badkitties

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I dont think that Verizon is taking much of a hit at any purchase price. It seems that Verizon is paid a commission from the OEM on devices sold, and they are not buying a bunch of phones at $x.xx and trying to sell them for a buck.

Just wanted to add that Verizon reps (on the phone or in corporate stores) will say something like "you can't cancel this line with Device Payment Plan because you've had it less than 90 days!"(some will say 30 days, one said 45 days) I don't know where they are coming up with these random numbers. I'm not one who takes "no" easily. After speaking with a couple of supervisors and two tier 2 tech support guys, I discovered that the tier 2 techs have the authority to cancel these new lines easily with not questions. The remaining balance of the device payment plan just automatically gets applied to the next bill.

marki86

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I am confused! Do I need an upgrade available or are you adding a new line, then canceling? I would live to get a new phone (note, lg g4, or galaxy) cheap! Thanks in advance for your help.

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
I am confused! Do I need an upgrade available or are you adding a new line, then canceling? I would live to get a new phone (note, lg g4, or galaxy) cheap! Thanks in advance for your help.

They are taking advantage of this promotion (Switch and Save - Verizon Wireless). If you are a current customer, you can open a new line, trade in a junk smartphone, and get $300 off the purchase price of a new smart phone if you agree to a device payment. After getting the phone, they then cancel the new line and payoff the phone. This allows them to get a smartphone significantly cheaper than buying it outright.

Basically, it's possible to get a G4 for free by going this route:

1.) Open a new line and order a G4 (regular price of $552.00)
2.) Verizon currently has a $100 sale by using "LGG4SAVE"
3.) Trade in a smartphone for $300 off purchase price
4.) This brings your final cost to $152.00 which you do a device payment. Therefore, you only pay taxes out the door.
5.) Then you fill out a LG rebate form (Life's Good) and get $200 back
6.) Cancel the new line and you walk out with a new G4 and around $48 in your pocket (give or take depending on a few other factors).

marki86

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Also, I have an old rezound. Can I trade it in on this deal? If not, what prepay phone should I buy to get the 300 trade in? Thanks again!!

Last edited:

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
No, unless your paying off the phone completely. you can't pay off the phone more frequently. You can only pay that months device installment.

Last edited:

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Yes but if you cancel before you actually receive the gift card, they won't send it to you. They state you'll receive card within 2 weeks, so if you cancel before the card is sent, goodbye gift card.

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
Also, I have an old rezound. Can I trade it in on this deal? If not, what prepay phone should I buy to get the 300 trade in? Thanks again!!

The Rezound should work fine assuming it is in good condition. Otherwise, just go to Best Buy and get:

TRACFONE Alcatel Onetouch Pixi GLITZ NoContract Cell Phone Black TFALA463BG3P4P - Best Buy

TRACFONE LG 306G NoContract Cell Phone TFLG306GTM3P4P - Best Buy

Both will work just fine. Note, that if you want the $300 credit to apply to the purchase price of the phone, you should do this in-store.

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
This promo was only good if you bought the phone prior to October 29. It's no longer valid on new purchases (though they may come out with another for all I know).

Reread the small print again as LG extended the offer until November 15.

Posted via the Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non