VZN phone extended warranty..rip off or worth it?

ptau54

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
Just got the note 5...coming from note 3 after home button stop working and 2 months out of warranty.
Is the phone extended warranty for $3/month worth it?
Thanks.

Posted via the Android Central App

SandersJC1964

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
You'll think so when you're 15 months out and your camera stops working (or any other possible defect).

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Keep in mind that insurance primary goal is to make money. So the cards are stacked against you. But if you plan to keep your phone for more than one year then extended warranty is a good idea, if you don't want to have to worry about getting it fixed yourself.

Extended warranty also covers pre existing conditions in certain states, so you may be able to get the home button fixed on the note 3.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Most financial people will tell you to avoid extended warranties. Phones are the one place I make an exception. I've been burned too many times and decided I'm willing to take that chance. It seems phones are becoming less dependable/durable, and I've had problems even web protecting them with cases from day one. With some phones, repairs can be difficult, limiting access to cost effective services.

This is pretty much what happened to me. I had an M8 but the USB port went bad on my first one and the warranty roulette they sent me. The local repair shop couldn't fix the second one because of the phone design, and it was out of warranty with about 6 months left on payments. My only choice was too buy out the contract and upgrade. Verizon was willing to exchange it and let me use the next warranty roulette phone as an early upgrade, but I couldn't wipe my phone to protect my data with a dead battery.

Now that I'm in a G4, I've come to find out it's one of the early batches that could have a hardware failure. I bought the extended warranty on this one so I can make sure I'm covered until I trade in. Would I suggest it to other people? I guess it depends on your history and if you've noticed any common faults being reported on the phone you're looking to buy. I bought it, but with the knowledge that I could loose money on the deal.

ptau54

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
Thanks everyone. My N3 is 3 years old so I guess it was time. I will get insurance for piece of mind. $3 a month = 1 less cup of Starbucks Coffee :(

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
$3 is for extended warranty, which covers manufacturers defects. It is not insurance and doesn't cover physical damage or loss or theft.

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Don't have one for hubby's new LG but it's only a $240 phone. I get a warranty for any new Notes which is what I usually buy for about 2 years then cancel cuz I can get a great phone @ swappa.com if I should need to.

Bill Ob

Nov 13, 2014
Visit site
They hit you for a high deductible (which they don't talk about). And you might be about ready for a new phone anyways. So think it out.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
They hit you for a high deductible (which they don't talk about). And you might be about ready for a new phone anyways. So think it out.

Verizon's extended warranty doesn't have a deductible, only the insurance plans.

verizonwireless.com/support/equipment-protection-overview/

(Edit: Add the www. to the above link. Posting the full link via the AC Forums app causes it to break)

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Correct, no deductible for extended warranty. Insurance through asurion does have a deductible

Climb14er

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
VZ extended warranty. .. TOTALLY worth it! If there's a problem, that cannot be fixed, you get attention from Tech support and they'll overnite you another phone. I've had it for years and it's been worth it to me and keeping my phones and connection intact and working properly.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I called last night for a factory warranty claim, but they mentioned having open enrollment right now. I was getting my old Bionic activated on the line until the replacement comes in and the rep said I could get an extended warranty on it if I wanted.

So if you're wanting to get it on an existing phone, may want to look into this.

eve6er69

Trusted Member
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
3 dollars a month to me is worth it. Just for the peace of mind of knowing that you can keep the phone for longer than a year and still be covered.

anon(10057381)

Oct 17, 2016
Visit site
I think thirty days

That's correct.

However, Verizon frequently has specials that allow people to sign up for extended insurance(with or without accidental damage/loss/theft), even as late as a year after purchase. They run these specials because it makes them money.

I just put my old Verizon Note5 back on total equipment coverage because I need to depend on it more now that my Note 7 is gone. :( I'll keep it for the next several month... probably until the Note 8 is finally released. (yes, I know it'll be a long wait)

anon(10057381)

Oct 17, 2016
Visit site
3 dollars a month to me is worth it. Just for the peace of mind of knowing that you can keep the phone for longer than a year and still be covered.

300 dollars a month to me is worth it. Just for the peace of mind of knowing that you can keep the wife for longer than 10 years and still be covered.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12