Considering switching from AT&T to T-Mobile or Verizon?

browetally

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
Considering switching from AT&T to T-Mobile or Verizon

So I've been evaluating both Verizon and T-Mobile in the Huntsville area. One block Verizon kills it on data speeds and on another block T-Mobile kills it. First and foremost, is the Ookla Speedtest app really the way to be judging which phone is faster? I change the server and all of a sudden it's like WIFI speeds. AT&T data speeds are much slower here and the service doesn't work well at my house even with the microcell

Currently I have 5 lines on AT&T plus a line for my Samsung watch. I am on a 30GB plan that includes 1 month rollover. 4 of my phones are on installment plans under AT&T Next. My bill is roughly $380 every month.

T-Mobile is proposing going to a 5 line 6GB per phone plan under the assumption a lot of my person data is covered under Binge (WatchESPN, etc). Including tax the bill would be somewhere around $330-$340. T-Mobile treats business accounts the same way they treat personal accounts.

Verizon doesn't have switch-over for business accounts so they are trying to figure out if they can setup my account with no profile, give me the pre-paid cards to pay off AT&T then create the business profile. I still don't have rates but they say it will be very close to what I am paying.

For those with Verizon who on occasion leave their home area, what do you find is the biggest hurdle/issue with Verizon?

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Re: Considering switching from AT&T to T-Mobile or Verizon

I used to travel a lot but now not as much. My personal was VZW and my work was AT&T.

My results were about a year ago when I left my job.

VZW had way stronger signals but AT&T had slightly faster speeds when both signal strength were the same. VZW had more LTE areas then AT&T. AT&T also had spots where VZW didn't but overall, I ended up using my personal more then my work just because I had service in more places. Streaming music, I used my VZW since it had more LTE coverage but some spots, I used my AT&T. I would say VZW 75% of the time and AT&T the other 25% of the time.

I traveled all over from Gainsville, FL to Pikeville, KY to Houston, TX, to Portland, OR and all over in between.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

It is going to depend specifically where you are(speeds can vary drastically, even in the same building). I have both a Verizon and att note 5 in my possession. In some areas Verizon is better. In others, att is better. Unfortunately at my work, att is not good where Verizon is fast.

hittsjunk

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site

Hi. If you're in Alabama, then Verizon will do better than T Mobile. T Mobile does okay with in the city, but it fails quickly when you get outside the city.

Posted via the Android Central App

sydneycooper1979

Moderator Sergeant at Arms
Jan 17, 2012
Visit site

I can only speak for my area and my experience, but Verizon has been the best and most reliable. My phone just always works. Not always lte but still works great when I happen upon 3G. Also between Verizon and tmobile, customer service is loads better on Verizon.

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Been a verizon customer since 1992. Their telephone customer service is excellent, but their customer service reps at store level are trained and are excellent at lying through their teeth. I know, that's how I lost my unlimited data plan. But the second time I was lied to, I caught it and saved another plan I was on. I'm seriously thinking of taking all 5 of my smartphones and going to T mobile. They're coming on strong with upgrading their system and cutting prices. Im going to sit down with them after I retire next month. Besides when you read what upper level management at verizon says about their customers, just tees me off.

Posted via Android Central App

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Keep in mind that while tmobile gives the best customer service now, they are doing so out of necessity. They would be a lot less forgiving if they become bigger. Slowly we are seeing it already.

bed269

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: Considering switching from AT&T to T-Mobile or Verizon?

I have AT&T and my brother in law has Verizon. When we go visit down in Alabama it seems he gets great signal more places than I do.
Dont forget if you by chance have either uverse tv or directv changing over to kind of unlimited with AT&T might help with the bill.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Re: Considering switching from AT&T to T-Mobile or Verizon?

For me nothing beats verizon for call coverage. AT&T is now very reliable too. T-mobile is very good in "good areas" but expect many more dead spots than with Verizon or AT&T

jerrycau123

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site

Tmobile is an amazing service! Check out there plans, you will be very happy as to what they ofter! Streaming Free Music on any plan! Watch HBO, Hulu, Netflix and more for free on your devices!.without using your data!. I have the unlimited plan and it is Amazing! PLUS You get 7 free gigs on any device!....If you can receive Tmobile in your area and the service works for you, give it a try! Blows away Verzion!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Tmobile is an amazing service! Check out there plans, you will be very happy as to what they ofter! Streaming Free Music on any plan! Watch HBO, Hulu, Netflix and more for free on your devices!.without using your data!. I have the unlimited plan and it is Amazing! PLUS You get 7 free gigs on any device!....If you can receive Tmobile in your area and the service works for you, give it a try! Blows away Verzion!

Just to clarify some facts... Music freedom requires that you be on the simple choice plan. No other plan qualifies.

Binge on also requires the simple choice plan, and in addition, the base simple choice plan doesn't qualify, so it can cost you more, depending on the plan that you are on. It also doesn't support all video services... Such as youtube.

jerrycau123

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site

I am under the unlimited plan and some of the features may apply only to that plan?. I know that you can stream free music on any plan, tmobile just added free streaming when you use Netflix, HBO and Hulu on your devise. You should call them or go on line to review there plans.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech