if I buy S7 for $99 on BestBuy, but put basic phone on the line, will I still have to pay $30 data

Mar 10, 2016
Visit site
If I buy a Galaxy S7 for $99 on BestBuy.com, but put a basic phone on the line, will I still have to pay the $30 data fee for 24 months?

(the new line will be another new line with 2-year contract added to my 700-minute plan... currently has 2 lines on it already, neither on upgrade eligible yet)

Thanks!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The carrier normally determines that. You usually have to pay for data for a data-capable phone. Buy a cheap non-data phone (something from 10 years ago) to add the line.

(You can't buy an S7 for $99 without buying a line, so there's no way I know of to cheat.)

underway99

Trusted Member
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
If I buy a Galaxy S7 for $99 on BestBuy.com, but put a basic phone on the line, will I still have to pay the $30 data fee for 24 months?

(the new line will be another new line with 2-year contract added to my 700-minute plan... currently has 2 lines on it already, neither on upgrade eligible yet)

Thanks!

I looked at doing this several times the last year or so, each time hoping that the terms had changed. The have not.

The likely answer is yes, but you'd have to carefully review the service agreement to be absolutely sure. The last few that I have read specifically state that you have to maintain a smartphone and a data plan that costs at least $29.99 on that particular line for the length of the agreement. You could swap smartphones between your lines, but you would be required to keep a smartphone with data on that line. A basic phone would not qualify, nor would a tablet or 4G hotspot or other data consumption device.

Please let us know if you're able to make it work, and how you did it.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2016
Visit site
I looked at doing this several times the last year or so, each time hoping that the terms had changed. The have not.

The likely answer is yes, but you'd have to carefully review the service agreement to be absolutely sure. The last few that I have read specifically state that you have to maintain a smartphone and a data plan that costs at least $29.99 on that particular line for the length of the agreement. You could swap smartphones between your lines, but you would be required to keep a smartphone with data on that line. A basic phone would not qualify, nor would a tablet or 4G hotspot or other data consumption device.

Please let us know if you're able to make it work, and how you did it.

Best Buy's current price on the Verizon S7 is $99.
Verizon's ETF is $350 for smartphones.

What if I just buy it at $99 and pay the $350 next month?
($449 for the S7 is still a couple hundred dollars cheaper?)
Plus the cost of 1 month of line access fee and $30 data.

Or does that make no sense?

underway99

Trusted Member
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
It's easy to follow. The math works, but I wouldn't want to guess whether the plan would work out for you. There are a lot of forum posts and blog comments from folks who say they're going to try that whenever the new ** insert hot new device here ** is released. I've not read of anyone who was successful, but all that means is that they've not updated their forum posts.

Having said that, I'm sure that the carriers have looked at this kind of arrangement and probably have some means of thwarting it. Remember that they pay the retailer to sell the phone, and I'm not sure that the $350 ETF will cover Verizon for the wholesale cost of the device plus the retailer's fee. I'd bet that there's something in your agreement that prevents that. You'd have to carefully read the entire agreement (or agreements) to be sure.

If you're intent on adding a line that you don't want in order to get a new phone, I suggest that you just call Verizon and ask if you could do it that way. They may have another way to set you up too. You didn't say how long you have until your upgrade is available. If it's not a long time, it may be worth it to wait. There is a good chance the price will drop in the fall when the fall phones are released. Depending on your time and payment history with Verizon, you may also be able to score an early upgrade at a reduced discount. It doesn't hurt to ask.

BTW, I am not an employee of any phone retailer or service provider. This is based solely on my own observations and personal experience.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
You need to keep it for minimum of 3 months and doesn't best buy tack on another 350 for early termination?

Posted via the Android Central App

Well its been a while, but I seem to recall these 3rd party retailers had their own etf policy on top of the carrier's own etf. Has that been done away with?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair