Verizon 'significantly altering' unlimited data?

yeahizme

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Well I get about 1.5 mbps, but that's still too slow for what I need...so the option to use my hotspot that I pay for, has been working just fine for me for years, but all that is changing in about 30 days with big red snagging my unlimited data plan from me just bc they can....smh

Chuck73080

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site

I'm still in contract until 8/12 with monthly use of 120 to 150 GB on my line and 2 to 4 GB on the wife's.

Called VZ this morning and was told that the figure they have is anything over 500 GB and to call them back if I get a letter.

I think I may use the BB method to stay under contract and try out Project Fi on my 6P, just in case.

I do qualify for unlimited at ATT, but it's throttled after 22GB.

Chuck Colvin 73080
Posted via the Android Central App

yeahizme

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
If I were you, I would make sure to stay in contract @ all times....and my usage was way above yours and the 500 gb threshold lol....I'm pushing 1.5 TB @ times tho usually I'm right at 950 gigs

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
"I HAVE A BAD FEELING ABOUT THIS!!" - Ever Star Wars Character Ever.

Based on data from another forum, the jetpack is probably a very bad idea. Long story short, accounts using unlimited SIMs in devices that are not mobile phones and are using more than 25 GB are being reviewed, receiving data blocks (which cancels unlimited) and then forwarded to the fraud department to have the account suspended while another department decides whether or not to close the account and the case or recommend for prosecution. One of those, "I have have a bad feeling about this" moments from Star Wars. The recommendation is to put that unlimited SIM in a phone and get that line under a personal​ account, not a business account, and within a contract. ASAP. Of course, it could already be too late.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
"I HAVE A BAD FEELING ABOUT THIS!!" - Ever Star Wars Character Ever.

Based on data from another forum, the jetpack is probably a very bad idea. Long story short, accounts using unlimited SIMs in devices that are not mobile phones and are using more than 25 GB are being reviewed, receiving data blocks (which cancels unlimited) and then forwarded to the fraud department to have the account suspended while another department decides whether or not to close the account and the case or recommend for prosecution. One of those, "I have have a bad feeling about this" moments from Star Wars. The recommendation is to put that unlimited SIM in a phone and get that line under a personal​ account, not a business account, and within a contract. ASAP. Of course, it could already be too late.

Verizon is going for the throat on these plans.

yeahizme

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Verizon has stated that you can use the sim card in any device that shows compatibility with 4G LTE, so customers can, @ their own personal discretion, use their unlimited data sim in a jetpack and still be within the confines of Verizon's terms and services.

dcastillo

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
Keep in mind that may only apply to those that have Hotspot included in their plan, not those in an old alltel plan where it costs extra

Posted via the Android Central App

yeahizme

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Correct and I pay for mine as extra being an old Alltel customer which is even more of a reason for me to keep my plan bc I'm paying extra for that activated feature

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Verizon has stated that you can use the sim card in any device that shows compatibility with 4G LTE, so customers can, @ their own personal discretion, use their unlimited data sim in a jetpack and still be within the confines of Verizon's terms and services.

Yeah, they're NOT honoring that. So far these are the reported crackdowns:

1. "Verizon is indeed moving to force a "small number" of "extraordinary" data users off of unlimited data plans.
  2. In a completely separate move, Verizon is also cracking down on some Verizon rental line providers, in some cases shutting off lines with no notice.
  3. Some users with UDP lines in hotspots and routers have suddenly (but so far seemingly temporarily) lost their connectivity with a "4G Data Block" placed on their lines."

That last bit does not depend on the customer being in contract or off. If you call Customer Service to remove the block and have not first activated the SIM in a Verizon 4G LTE smartphone, you will lose unlimited data.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

True -- but Verizon also said a "clear path for unlimited data users". Now there is a limit and they are yanking it away. Are you surprised?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Well from what I read on another forum, Verizon is claiming that the data block on mifi is a "voicemail issue". Contact them and they will fix it. Who knows what their true intent is

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't trust Verizon. They seem to say whatever they want to make what they are doing at the moment sound good. Later they will just say something else...

yeahizme

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
@ this point, I'm not surprised @ anything that those dummies @ big red do....this is getting ridiculous to be honest. 1st Verizon says all unlimited data users will have a "clear road to keep their unlim data," but a few months later, all this has changed. I've made my peace with my situation and when Aug 31st comes, I will not be renewing anything with Verizon . I'm cutting ties for good with Verizon bc it's obvious they are more concerned with changing my plan and making me pay more $ rather than honor the fact that they are the ones who forced us to sign up for unlim data when smart phones 1st came out and now they have had a change of heart. It's all good. Another carrier will be glad to take my money .

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
@ this point, I'm not surprised @ anything that those dummies @ big red do....this is getting ridiculous to be honest. 1st Verizon says all unlimited data users will have a "clear road to keep their unlim data," but a few months later, all this has changed. I've made my peace with my situation and when Aug 31st comes, I will not be renewing anything with Verizon . I'm cutting ties for good with Verizon bc it's obvious they are more concerned with changing my plan and making me pay more $ rather than honor the fact that they are the ones who forced us to sign up for unlim data when smart phones 1st came out and now they have had a change of heart. It's all good. Another carrier will be glad to take my money .

I would leave before August 31st just to ensure no issues arise with your number (if you care to keep it).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress