General Hotspot and WiFi questions

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Hi everyone,

When we moved out into the country about 4 months ago my internet availability options were horrible so I went with a Verizon hotspot.

Now I'm wondering if I didn't make a stupid mistake. I bought a hotspot from Verizon and now I'm wondering if I should have just used my phone as a hotspot in order to save some money because of course they're charging me for the hotspot connection. I purchased a refurbished hotspot for $0.99 so it's not a new one but of course that put me under contract with it. So I'm looking for some input on that.

My next question is if you use a hotspot for your internet do you have your phone connect to it when it's in range or do you leave your phone off the Wi-Fi?

Thanks!
Deb

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It doesn't sound like a bad deal. If you are going to stay with Verizon for those 2 years of that contract you aren't losing out on anything.

As for the wifi versus data thing. I can't comment really. I use LTE everywhere and wifi at home but I have unlimited LTE and also a home ISP at home for my wifi.

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
It doesn't sound like a bad deal. If you are going to stay with Verizon for those 2 years of that contract you aren't losing out on anything.

I'm paying extra for the hotspot every month. If I'd have used my phone pretty sure that would be free.

I don't know if there are disadvantages to using my phone as a hotspot vs. using the hotspot hardware. Better speed with a hotspot?

Maybe more wear and tear on my phone if used as a hotspot? Pretty sure it would hit my battery harder?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
It would depend on the hotspot and the phone. Of course with hotspot on it would hit the phone battery harder, how much depends on the device.

Speeds, it also depends on the device. Some devices are capable of things like carrier aggregation which could help speed things up but only if there is more than one band being broadcast or the same band but non consecutive blocks

With regards to whether or not it is worth it... It is more convenient to use a hotspot device for most people using it as home Internet. But if you are OK with just turning on the hotspot on the phone when needed, then sure that could work and save a few bucks for the line access charge on the hotspot

racquetballer

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I use my phone Note 7 as a hotspot at home and when I travel. Works great. Works better than my previous phone (Note 4) and I had no problem with the Note 4. Note 7 just seems to have better latency and faster downloads according to ookla speedtest.. I'm trying to keep it around 100 gigs now. I was doing between 100-200 gigs a month and did NOT get the dreaded letter from VZW. In fact I just got the subsidized Note 7 from them locking me in for 2 more years. I had been out of contract for probably over 4 yrs and bought new phones off of swappa to maintain my UDP.. I could go the route of FoxFi but I'm paying the mobile hotspot just so VZW won't have a reason to kick me off.. YMMV.

Hghlndr

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Hey Shaggy!
I have a VZW Note 5, (upgraded by the insurance after my Note Edge couldn't be replaced), with grandfathered unlimited data etc., and pay ($30/Mo prorated) to use it as a hotspot (unlimited too) needed 1 week a month.
The note edge used to get real hot and speeds were ok. Note 5 stays cool and speeds are amazing in LA since it is capable of LTE advanced. Battery drain is normal (-50%) in 4hrs using hotspot.
I can do anything with the phone normally while it's being used as a hotspot other than leave the house for those using it as such.
Haven't noticed any problems of wear and tear whatsoever and have had the phone doing this monthly since April.
Maybe you can return the hotspot and save the monthly fee?
Though you'd have to do the math: as $30/Mo prorated (grandfathered plans) verses newest plans where you have no extra cost to invoke the hotspot and use your capped data. Hmmm. Good luck.

racquetballer

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Mine is $10 per month. I bought a refurb through VZW.

How much data are they giving you for $10/month? I've been paying for my unlimited 4G Smartphone Hotspot @ $30/month less $6 total of => $24/month with my 20% - Feature Discount. I could use a 3rd party app like FoxFi but decided to pay for my 4G Smartphone Hotspot since I do use it to tether and I wouldn't want to give VZW a reason to kick me off UDP..

BTW I am rolling a Samsung Galaxy Note 7 and I miss having multiple batteries at the ready. I do have an Anker PowerCore 10400 Portable Charger but I still prefer removal batteries.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckm