If you get a phone 3rd party do you have to pay the activation fee?

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
As in, if you get one off ebay/amazon/swappa, etc?

Verizon Wireless customers who activate either a new line or tablet connection will need to pay a one-time $20 activation fee, spokeswoman Kelly Crummey has confirmed to Fortune. Those customers will be charged if they pay for a device through Verizon’s payment-installment program, as well as activate a device they already own or pay for a device in full. The activation charge applies to new Verizon customers, or existing ones adding a new line of service to their account. But existing customers will not be charged if they use the installment plans to simply upgrade the handset on their existing line.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Keep in mind that upgrading the hand set through dpp or full retail on Verizon, while it won't incur an activation fee for existing lines, it will be subject to a $20 upgrade fee

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Keep in mind that upgrading the hand set through dpp or full retail on Verizon, while it won't incur an activation fee for existing lines, it will be subject to a $20 upgrade fee
Isn't an upgrade fee the same thing with a different name? Like T-Mobile's "assisted services" fee :p.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Isn't an upgrade fee the same thing with a different name? Like T-Mobile's "assisted services" fee .
Well at least tmobile charges it for assisting people in stores... Verizon charges it for online purchases too. Verizon couldn't call it an assisted service charge as they haven't actually assisted those who ordered online with anything, yet you still have to pay the upgrade fee.

JnEricsonx

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
So, I'll have to pay a one time 20 dollar fee if I buy someone else's phone? Ok, thats better than the old 45 dollar activation fee. And note, this isn't for a new line, its for my own, as I'm one of the few people who still have UDP.

phillyphreak

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
If it's for an existing line you'll pay nothing. I bought two different phones (mxpe and nexus 6) and each time they popped in a fresh Sim card and didn't charge me a dime.

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
If it's for an existing line you'll pay nothing. I bought two different phones (mxpe and nexus 6) and each time they popped in a fresh Sim card and didn't charge me a dime.

I don't know about Verizon but if you have an existing sim and you buy and unlocked phone all you need to do is pop in the same sim.
Should work without any activation period

phillyphreak

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
I don't know about Verizon but if you have an existing sim and you buy and unlocked phone all you need to do is pop in the same sim.
Should work without any activation period

It will as long as the Sim fits and it hasn't been attempted to be activated illegally.

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
As a Verizon customer for 24 years, this is one of the reasons I took one of my lines and am trying out Google fi. It's been a week and so far has been awesome. Coverage everywhere and, in some places, stronger than Verizon. My bill is going to be about half that of Verizon and I never got charged an activation fee. I simply pay $ 20.00 /MO. for unlimited talk and text, and $10.00/MO, per gig. The great thing is that even if you're not at home, if you're in a public wifi area with a good signal, fi hooks you up to that automatically AND Google encrypts so no one can decipher. You must use a Google nexus phone. But that's Ok. I'm using a 5x,and it's excellent. My Verizon phone is an S7 EDGE and the nexus keeps up just fine. You can ever n get a data only sim for another device like your tablet that will allow you to piggyback off your data allowance of your phone with NO EXTRA CHARGE. VERIZON CHARGES $20..00 MO.

JnEricsonx

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
Well, I just bought a Note 4 on ebay, so once it shows up I'll be transferring my SIM, and setting everything up! And if you guys are right, that means no paying extra.

JnEricsonx

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, just got my stuff in the mail, I'm waiting to get my case and memory card before I do anything. Just wondering if I need to verify anything with Verizon, or is it literally a case of plug in and play.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez