Verizon loses 36K net postpaid phone subs in disappointing Q3

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Hopefully this means more sales

"Verizon posted a 6.7 percent decrease in quarterly revenue as its core smartphone business fell short of analysts’ expectations in an increasingly competitive environment. Which once again illustrates why the nation’s biggest carrier is so eager to expand into digital media, the IoT and other markets.

Verizon lost 36,000 net postpaid phone subscribers during the latest quarter, falling well short of the 92,000 net additions Wells Fargo Securities had predicted it would report. Wireless service revenue came in at $16.7 billion, down 5.2 percent year-over-year and shy of Wells Fargo’s estimate of $16.8 billion, and its retail postpaid phone churn was up 2 basis points year-over-year."

Verizon loses 36K net postpaid phone subs in disappointing Q3 | FierceWireless

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Two years ago they had a promo for double data so I was paying the 20GB price plan with 40GB. Hopefully they do the same this year so I can drop my plan.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

With having the cheapest retail price on the V20 by far, plus arguably one of the best trade in offers, you may be on to something. Though I think limiting bloat and not removing OEM features would help them a lot too.

pbike908

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
Verizon lost 36,000 net postpaid phone subscribers during the latest quarter, falling well short of the 92,000 net additions Wells Fargo Securities had predicted it would report. Wireless service revenue came in at $16.7 billion, down 5.2 percent year-over-year and shy of Wells Fargo’s estimate of $16.8 billion, and its retail postpaid phone churn was up 2 basis points year-over-year."

Wow, that's quite a miss...

anon(9898026)

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
Last time I tried Verizon it didn't work out too well so they won't get any more of my money. The service was no better than the others (actually worse) and Verizon was rude and arrogant. I would be a fool to actually pay money for the service I received

tribbleorlfl

Feb 25, 2016
Visit site
Last time I tried Verizon it didn't work out too well so they won't get any more of my money. The service was no better than the others (actually worse) and Verizon was rude and arrogant. I would be a fool to actually pay money for the service I received
That's a bummer you had a bad experience with them, though many people can say the same thing about the other carriers. I was an AT&T customer for 6 years but dropped them because I couldn't get a signal in my house. Went to Big Red, and 6 years later, have never had a dropped or missed calls.

Granted, I'm paying out the nose for this service and I'm not crazy about some of their anti-customer behavior, but personally, I've had no issues.

ggendel

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
That's a bummer you had a bad experience with them, though many people can say the same thing about the other carriers. I was an AT&T customer for 6 years but dropped them because I couldn't get a signal in my house. Went to Big Red, and 6 years later, have never had a dropped or missed calls.

Granted, I'm paying out the nose for this service and I'm not crazy about some of their anti-customer behavior, but personally, I've had no issues.

I have the same problem but in reverse. Verizon has no coverage at both my old home in NJ and my new one in DE. I have a femtocell in the house but that breaks HD and Wifi calling. AT&T is nice and strong so I'm jumping from the VZW ship this month.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Not sure if those Black Friday deals at both Verizon and Best Buy for Verizon were a direct reaction but man those sales were good.

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
I get great service with Verizon and my bill is pretty good. I keep pricing other vendors and I can't find anything that is as good that does not require me to buy new phones. Now that my phones are paid off I don't want to start paying for phones again. When someone in my family needs a new phone we just head to Swappa and find a good used phone.

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Compared to?

Agreed, I have looked at all the promotions from T-Mobile and Sprint and none of them really seem to do much to cut my bill. From reading the Sprint deals you have to buy new phones. Who wants to buy 4 new sprint phones? They have the worst selection of the 4 main companies. Plus I had Sprint for several years. Good where service is good - awful where it is bad. (places where Verizon and AT&T have great signal). After buying new Sprint phones, my cost per month is way higher than I am now paying on Verizon.

T-Mobile, not bad deals, but for 4 lines on Verizon with 16 GB and rollover my price is very good, w/corporate discount. I guess if we needed the unlimited/limited plan from T-Mobile would not be bad, but we don't. Plus again we would have to buy new phones for T-Mobile - their $800 promotion to switch plan would not even cover two phones. So then back to adding phones on payment plans, and now the bill is higher than Verizon.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Well with the announcement of no more contracts, higher upgrade fee, Verizon must be content losing customers. Verizon has always been king at taking things away, and maybe people are finally jumping ship. Will be curious what the next couple quarters look like.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I would switch but other carriers I have felt with have the same bad customer service. They are all the same. They are all terrible. I keep VZW because it works for me and for all the places I go. My work phone is ATT and it's about the same at VZW. Some places it works better and some places it doesn't work. But VZW is the same too. Some places it works better and some places it doesn't.

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site

"Verizon posted a 6.7 percent decrease in quarterly revenue as its core smartphone business fell short of analysts’ expectations in an increasingly competitive environment. Which once again illustrates why the nation’s biggest carrier is so eager to expand into digital media, the IoT and other markets.

Verizon loses 36K net postpaid phone subs in disappointing Q3 | FierceWireless

And they'll be a whole lot more leaving. You see, Verizon thinks they've got all customers by their pasechioties, but they don't. I was with them for 24 years. All was good till they started their little tricks a couple of years ago. I'm not someone who just pays a bill. I read every single one. If something is not looking good, i call and i catch them every time. But that's just the beginning. I could go on and on. So, anyway, I took 1 of my lines and tried googles project fi. It was easy to sign up, and when i got my fi sim card, i popped it into my unlocked galaxy S7 EDGE. And its been wonderful. Because its not a Google phone, I stay tied to T-Mobile and public wifi. But im getting perfectly strong, Superfast 4g lte signals. Never a dropped call. And its costing me almost half of verizon. Whatever data I don't use, comes right off next months bill. There's no issues and no BS. I'm changing my other lines as their contracts run out

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I get great service with Verizon and my bill is pretty good. I keep pricing other vendors and I can't find anything that is as good that does not require me to buy new phones. Now that my phones are paid off I don't want to start paying for phones again. When someone in my family needs a new phone we just head to Swappa and find a good used phone.

Try Google project fi

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
And they'll be a whole lot more leaving. You see, Verizon thinks they've got all customers by their pasechioties, but they don't. I was with them for 24 years. All was good till they started their little tricks a couple of years ago. I'm not someone who just pays a bill. I read every single one. If something is not looking good, i call and i catch them every time. But that's just the beginning. I could go on and on. So, anyway, I took 1 of my lines and tried googles project fi. It was easy to sign up, and when i got my fi sim card, i popped it into my unlocked galaxy S7 EDGE. And its been wonderful. Because its not a Google phone, I stay tied to T-Mobile and public wifi. But im getting perfectly strong, Superfast 4g lte signals. Never a dropped call. And its costing me almost half of verizon. Whatever data I don't use, comes right off next months bill. There's no issues and no BS. I'm changing my other lines as their contracts run out

When it comes to cell service, location matters.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty