Unlimited Data is back

userx

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
WTF is this "Access Line Fee? = A new fee for the new plan. I'm currently on the old UDP and do not pay any access line fee or subject to a jump through the hoop for an "auto bill pay" for $5 bucks off. This is classic bait and switch people. For new people or customers that have no idea about theses fees they are new and pure profit padding rebranded into a new marketing strategy. I've had the old UDP from day one. Then they increased it $20 bucks if you wanted to keep it. Again pure corporate greed to force us off the plan or pay up from the original plan. Now a new "unlimited" plan cough, cough, (total BS). They will no doubt change and modify this new plan. Verizon was forced to change their strategy and they will make customers foot the bill later down the time table. It's so obvious they are adjusting to competition in the short term. Long term strategy is they will make a profit by tweaking this new plan to work in the shareholders favor. Take my remarks with a grain of salt but I'm been a loyal verizon customer before data and smart phones even existed. I see smoke and mirrors with this new marketing strategy.

Last edited:

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
WTF is this "Access Line Fee? = A new fee for the new plan. I'm currently on the old UDP and do not pay any access line fee or subject to a jump through the hoop for an "auto bill pay" for $5 bucks off. This is classic bait and switch people. For new people or customers that have no idea about theses fees they are new and pure profit padding rebranded into a new marketing strategy. I've had the old UDP from day one. Then they increased it $20 bucks if you wanted t keep it. Again pure corporate greed to force us off the plan or pay up from the original plan. Now a new unlimited cough, cough, BS). They will no doubt change and modify this new plan. Verizon was forced to change their strategy and they will make customers foot the bill later down the time table. It's so obvious they are adjusting to competition in the short term. Long term strategy is they will make a profit by tweaking this new plan to work in shareholders favor. Take my remarks with a grain of salt but I'm been a loyal verizon customer before data and smart phones even existed. I see smoke and mirrors with this new marketing strategy.

The line access fee is because the plan(s) is split up into two costs. For the sake of making sense, I am going to describe this with a tiered plan because it isn't so confusing.

These plans are made to allow not just one line but also a family of lines. You have your base data charge, in this case we will say 4GB for $40 per month. The $20 line access charge allows the device to be on the minutes, text and data allotment. I believe it's something like $10 for basic phones to be added to the plan. The price of the plan isn't actually higher than it's worth (subjective, of course) although I honestly feel like Verizon does it this way to make it seem cheaper than it actually is.

I remember when these plans first went live and I looked at them. Verizon was so sketchy, even at the checkout confirmation page, as to what the bill would be because the line fee wasn't shown. But it's gotten a lot better.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
WTF is this "Access Line Fee? = A new fee for the new plan. I'm currently on the old UDP and do not pay any access line fee or subject to a jump through the hoop for an "auto bill pay" for $5 bucks off. This is classic bait and switch people. For new people or customers that have no idea about theses fees they are new and pure profit padding rebranded into a new marketing strategy. I've had the old UDP from day one. Then they increased it $20 bucks if you wanted to keep it. Again pure corporate greed to force us off the plan or pay up from the original plan. Now a new "unlimited" plan cough, cough, (total BS). They will no doubt change and modify this new plan. Verizon was forced to change their strategy and they will make customers foot the bill later down the time table. It's so obvious they are adjusting to competition in the short term. Long term strategy is they will make a profit by tweaking this new plan to work in the shareholders favor. Take my remarks with a grain of salt but I'm been a loyal verizon customer before data and smart phones even existed. I see smoke and mirrors with this new marketing strategy.

The old UDP plan was like $30 for data, $9.99 line access + $X for voice and texts.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The old UDP plan was like $30 for data, $9.99 line access + $X for voice and texts.

2 line Nationwide 700

700 Shared Minutes = $50
Line 1 Access = $10
Line 2 Access = $10
Line 1 Data (UDP) = $50
Line 2 Data (2GB) = $30
Line 1 Text (1000) = $10
Line 2 Text (1000) = $10

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
So is it settled? $80 + 20 for access + taxes and other little rip off fees?

No, that's what CS said and they were misinformed.

It's ... damn, didn't you see the chart? :p

But yes, there are taxes above the above, it's typically around $2-5 per line.

1 line is $65 + $20 if you don't set up the autopay thing for $85 total. With autopay thing it'd be $80.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Verizon and confusion is their slogan. I'm still in limbo on the tethering, the reps can't agree on it.

Is the 10 gigs of Hotspot counted against your 22 gigs or is it separate. It's about a tie so far on the answer is yes it is separate or it counts against your 22 gigs.

Let's just say I got a few more grey hairs after discussing this plan with them
So it's a 22gb plan not unlimited?
My wife is still in a contract so for the 2 us it would be $170 for 22gb?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Technically the way I see it, the current single line unlimited plan is:

$65 for unlimited calls, texts, and data access

$20 for the smartphone access

+ applicable taxes and fees

You get $5 off if you sign up for auto-pay.

For multiple lines:

$110 for unlimited calls, texts, and data access

$20 for each smartphone, minimum 2

+ applicable taxes and fees.

You get $10 off if you sign up for auto-pay.

Add $20 for each line under contract you're a current customer, which is removed at the contract end date.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
So it's a 22gb plan not unlimited?

How many times does this need to be stated?

Like all current carrier unlimited plans, you may get throttled in the if you're connected to a congested tower. In Verizon's case, the threshold is 22GB. There are no overages. Your access to data is unlimited.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
TMO is my favorite carrier, they just don't work where I live and I have enough integrity to a) believe what they tell me about not working here and b) not love EVERYTHING they do just because I respect some things they do.

I like some things about T-Mobile but John Legere is just...a HUGE turnoff. Plus, I do not trust that it will always work when I have to drive through rural areas on my way to visit family. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't care about saving a few dollars on each bill if I got into a situation in which I needed to be able to use my phone and I didn't have service.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
But in my grandfathered udp I am not throttled right?

Sure. Instead of throttling, they'll just wait until you're off contract, raise the price per line by $20, wait until you hit a certain, undisclosed limit, and cancel your line.

Also, it is possible to get the new Unlimited Plan, go over 22GB, and not get throttled.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I like some things about T-Mobile but John Legere is just...a HUGE turnoff. Plus, I do not trust that it will always work when I have to drive through rural areas on my way to visit family. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't care about saving a few dollars on each bill if I got into a situation in which I needed to be able to use my phone and I didn't have service.

People act like he's some sort of rock star, like he's looking out for customers.

But it's cool that he curses.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I strongly dislike him.

userx

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
But in my grandfathered udp I am not throttled right?
CORRECT.... I'm in the old UDP and not be throttled at all. I do go over 20gig a month easy. 4G LTE is very fast in my area. I see 50 Megabytes Per Second on speed teat OOKLA app. I use 20 gigs in a heavy week easy. And no I don't abuse the plan and rack up 500 gigs a month. The new plan is dog sh*t for my use. If you are a light user this new plan will work for you. If you regularly use more then 20 gig on a monthly basis your going to be put in the slow lane or throttled lane as some describe it. 3g on verizon is extremely slow from my personal experience. I have to drive 3 blocks and reboot my phone to get it back on a 4G tower. It totally sucks. So when the tower gets crowded you get bumped down on the new plan. Currently that does no happen to me thank God.

Last edited:

Coraya

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Do you have the 2 lines unlimited everything for 100?
Do you have the 2 lines unlimited everything for 100?

Yes. They quit offering the plan almost as soon as they introduced it is what it seems like.

Two device plan:

Simple Choice (Unlimited Everything): $100
LG G5: $20.84
Jump Insurance: $12
T-Mobile and Govt. fees: $4.70
GS7: $27.92
Jump Insurance: $12
T-Mobile and Govt. fees: $4.70

Is what you are paying on T-Mobile including the add on of device payments? Once the devices are paid off, it will be much cheaper than $227.

Just want to quote you as well so that you know I'm answering your question above. Verizon is still considerably more expensive. And what's up with that line access fee of $20 per line!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
True -- I am assuming they won't do that any time soon. Would be random to introduce this price and quickly raise it out of no where.

Oh most definitely. I would expect that you would be good for at least a year,probably a few years. With steep competition, I doubt Verizon would get rid of it...