Keep old UDP or switch to new UDP?

AIR-11

Apr 22, 2015
Visit site
If I have the original UDP that's been grandfathered in since about 2009, is there any reason not to switch over to the new UDP that Verizon just realized yesterday?

We have 3 lines with UDP and 1 line with the 2 GB limit. We pay about $275/mo. now total, but once two of the UDP lines come off contract it's set to go up another $40/mo. ($20/line), so we'll be up to $315/mo.

I see that if we switch to the new UDP it should only be about $180/mo., plus mobile hot spot, plus the 2GB line would now have unlimited.

The only drawback I can see is that after hitting 22GB there's a possibility of throttling down the speed if on a congested tower and the mobile hot spot throttles down to 3G after hitting 10GB of usage, but I can't see any other cons. Am I missing something? Is there some other loop holes in this plan, that if I switch to it, would make it a bad move? Wondering if they are some hidden caveats, like maybe they can terminate Unlimited down the road if they choose, where maybe the current UDP doesn't have that? I don't know, maybe I'm paranoid, wait, yes, I am paranoid, I've worked very hard to keep my UDP and don't want to screw this up! Ha ha.

Anyway, any help and insight into why I should or shouldn't switch would be very helpful.

P.S. It also looks like they are now allowing you to add up to 10 lines on these plans now, $20/lines for lines 5-10, so thinking we add in my dad, mom, and sister. Am I reading that correctly?

AIR-11

Apr 22, 2015
Visit site
My wife and I use around 30-40 GB/mo. My bro only uses about 15-20 GB/mo. But we never use wifi since we have UDP. So, I supposed if we hit the 22GB threshold we could always switch over to wifi, so I'm not too worried about that difference between the old UDP and this new UDP.

I'm mostly worried that if I switch that the new plan will have some clause in it that lets them take it away down the road if they choose, or some other detrimental differences that would not make switching a good idea.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I would switch to the new plan for two reasons. 1) The grandfathered plan seems to be at more risk of sudden changes, including the price change you mentioned, etc. And they have been kicking people off of it for excessive use. 2) Your usage seems to line up pretty well with the numbers the new plan describes - and remember, the 22 GB isn't a hard stop, it's just that if you're above 22 for the month on that particular line and you're in a congested area, you MIGHT be de-prioritized. Otherwise, business as usual. It also seems like you're going to save money long term.

AIR-11

Apr 22, 2015
Visit site
Good call. You're absolutely right. I just talked to Verizon and got some good info.

1. On hitting the 22GB limit, you are correct. They don't throttle down the speed once you've hit 22GB, it's who actually gets to connect to the network to use the data is prioritized. And they said it's usually only going to affect those in highly populated areas like NYC or at a stadium.

2. All our lines are on contract at a higher price, they said if we switch to the new plan, once those lines come off contract it would actually drop the price by $20/line, so starting out we'd be paying about the same $275/mo. but as the contracts on the lines expire our bill would end up around $200/mo.

3. You can add up to 10 lines. Lines 5-10 are $20/mo. You can also have up to 20 connected devices separately from the 10 lines. So our little girl's Gizmo watch would count toward the 20 limit and not affect the 10 line limit.

4. On the new plan they do away with the subsidy upgrade like we all used to. It would now be where you basically purchase the phone and pay for it monthly with your bill.

5. Also get unlimited data and talk in Mexico and Canada, that includes calls to those places and if you visit them you can use your phone like normal without any extra charges.

6. You get the free WiFi Hotspot. Full speed up to 10GB, then throttled down to 3G after that.

7. We can add my mom, dad, and sister to our plan and once all phones are off contract the bill will settle in around $250-$260/mo for all 7 of us with unlimited everything! Plus, would have room for 3 more lines to add and help split the cost.

Sounds like a pretty darn good deal with not a lot of cons....

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Just depends on your needs... If you need a whole lot more than 10 gb hotspot and or use a significantly higher amount of data than 22 gb and are in a high load area a lot then the old plans are still significantly better.

I work in a high rise amongst multiple high rises so I am assuming that i am in a high load area for a significant part of the day

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Good call. You're absolutely right. I just talked to Verizon and got some good info.

1. On hitting the 22GB limit, you are correct. They don't throttle down the speed once you've hit 22GB, it's who actually gets to connect to the network to use the data is prioritized. And they said it's usually only going to affect those in highly populated areas like NYC or at a stadium.

2. All our lines are on contract at a higher price, they said if we switch to the new plan, once those lines come off contract it would actually drop the price by $20/line, so starting out we'd be paying about the same $275/mo. but as the contracts on the lines expire our bill would end up around $200/mo.

3. You can add up to 10 lines. Lines 5-10 are $20/mo. You can also have up to 20 connected devices separately from the 10 lines. So our little girl's Gizmo watch would count toward the 20 limit and not affect the 10 line limit.

4. On the new plan they do away with the subsidy upgrade like we all used to. It would now be where you basically purchase the phone and pay for it monthly with your bill.

5. Also get unlimited data and talk in Mexico and Canada, that includes calls to those places and if you visit them you can use your phone like normal without any extra charges.

6. You get the free WiFi Hotspot. Full speed up to 10GB, then throttled down to 3G after that.

7. We can add my mom, dad, and sister to our plan and once all phones are off contract the bill will settle in around $250-$260/mo for all 7 of us with unlimited everything! Plus, would have room for 3 more lines to add and help split the cost.

Sounds like a pretty darn good deal with not a lot of cons....

The subsidy option is gone regardless of plan.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm mostly worried that if I switch that the new plan will have some clause in it that lets them take it away down the road if they choose, or some other detrimental differences that would not make switching a good idea.

Once the grandfathered UDP's are off of their annualized contracts, they are under no obligation to renew for a term and can let it run as month-to-month. At that point, or even if they were to offer a termed renewal, VZ is under no obligation to guarantee the same terms as had been offered previously. Basically, Verizon could have eliminated the old unlimited programs from its userbase years ago, and didn't simply because they didn't want to face the churn.

I expect that a lot of people on grandfathered programs will move over, and wouldn't be too surprised if in the reasonably near future VZ does terminate the old programs, since they will now at least have an alternative offering that is viable instead of basically pushing those customers out the door to its competitors (though some would still leave).

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Yeah that's what i am afraid of. The old plan is better suited for me due to unlimited unthrottled hotspot and no de prioritization. But of course Verizon would conveniently leave it out

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Once the grandfathered UDP's are off of their annualized contracts, they are under no obligation to renew for a term and can let it run as month-to-month. At that point, or even if they were to offer a termed renewal, VZ is under no obligation to guarantee the same terms as had been offered previously. Basically, Verizon could have eliminated the old unlimited programs from its userbase years ago, and didn't simply because they didn't want to face the churn.

I expect that a lot of people on grandfathered programs will move over, and wouldn't be too surprised if in the reasonably near future VZ does terminate the old programs, since they will now at least have an alternative offering that is viable instead of basically pushing those customers out the door to its competitors (though some would still leave).

The new plan is month to month too..

canonBoy

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Interesting thread. I too am on the grandfathered UDP, and one of the downsides to the new UDP plan is that if you are currently receiving a discount through your place of work on your Verizon bill, that will no longer be honored if the switch is made. Depending on your circumstances though, this may be a moot point. I'm still not clear on the new pricing and how it all pans out, but it may still be cheaper to stay w the old UDP.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Interesting thread. I too am on the grandfathered UDP, and one of the downsides to the new UDP plan is that if you are currently receiving a discount through your place of work on your Verizon bill, that will no longer be honored if the switch is made. Depending on your circumstances though, this may be a moot point. I'm still not clear on the new pricing and how it all pans out, but it may still be cheaper to stay w the old UDP.

What's your current plan?

canonBoy

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
What's your current plan?

Old nation wide 450 minutes w no texts and UD. I get 18% discount on the data I believe, [edit: I get 18% off of data and minutes, so about $16 saved/month] which is at 49.99 now. Plus less the taxes due to the discount.

So if right now, before taxes I'm at $74/month, switching to the new UDP, is it $80 plus a line fee? I did use an upgrade last fall, so my 'upgrade availability' isn't till 2018 (meaning line access fee would be in full effect, right?).

Last edited:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Old nation wide 450 minutes w no texts and UD. I get 18% discount on the data I believe, [edit: I get 18% off of data and minutes, so about $16 saved/month] which is at 49.99 now. Plus less the taxes due to the discount.

So if right now, before taxes I'm at $74/month, switching to the new UDP, is it $80 plus a line fee? I did use an upgrade last fall, so my 'upgrade availability' isn't till 2018 (meaning line access fee would be in full effect, right?).

I don't understand why people are thinking there's an additional line fee.

With your plan, I wouldn't switch.

The new single line Unlimited Plan is $65 for the account access fee and $20 for the line. You save $5 if you do paperless billing and autopay with debit or checking.

canonBoy

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I don't understand why people are thinking there's an additional line fee.

With your plan, I wouldn't switch.

The new single line Unlimited Plan is $65 for the account access fee and $20 for the line. You save $5 if you do paperless billing and autopay with debit or checking.

The real catch though, is my wife is on a 1gb plan that just isn't cutting it any more, so to move her to the new 4gb plan, I think it messes with how my grandfathered UDP pricing structure (not service itself) will be. Verizon said that I would have a line access fee if we changed my wife's line (which is on my account)

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Everyone should do the math for themselves. If it doesn't save you money, don't switch.

My current plan:

Nationwide Talk and Text 700 with 2 smartphone lines.

Account Access: 50.00
Line Access Fees: 19.98 (9.99 x 2)
Data: 129.99 (Line 1 UDP $49,99, Line 2 10GB $80.00)

Estimated bill before taxes and fees: 229.97

With my 22% discount -

Account Access: 50.00 39.00
Line Access Fees: 19.98 (9.99 x 2)
Data: 129.99 101.39 (Line 1 UDP $49.99 38.99, Line 2 10GB $80.00 62.40)

Estimated bill before taxes and fees: 229.97 183.77

On the new plan:

Account Access: 110.00
Line Access Fees: 60.00 (Line 1 20, Line 2 40, reduces to 20 in mid-March)

Estimated bill before taxes and fees: 170.00 (150.00 in mid-March)

I'll gain unlimited calling and unlimited data access for Line 2. The tradeoff will be a 22GB threshold per line where we may be throttled.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The real catch though, is my wife is on a 1gb plan that just isn't cutting it any more, so to move her to the new 4gb plan, I think it messes with how my grandfathered UDP pricing structure (not service itself) will be. Verizon said that I would have a line access fee if we changed my wife's line (which is on my account)

I've had to do the same thing. A year ago, my wife was getting by on 2GB. Then I had to bump it to 5GB. Then 7GB. Now she's on 10GB. For our account, it just doesn't make sense to stay on our old plan.

canonBoy

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
So after chatting online with a Verizon rep, it sounds like if my wife's line gets changed to the current 4gb plan it changes the billing structure of the GUDP, but the thing I'm still not clear about is when each of the two lines goes 'out of contract' in fall 2018... The line access fee for my wife's line will go down from $40 to $20, but will my GUDP receive the same $20 reduction by the time its 'upgrade eligibility' time comes around?

A while ago the Data on the GUDP went from 29.99 to 49.99 and I was under the impression that that was a permanent thing... but with all this UDP stuff coming back, I'm just not sure.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
So after chatting online with a Verizon rep, it sounds like if my wife's line gets changed to the current 4gb plan it changes the billing structure of the GUDP, but the thing I'm still not clear about is when each of the two lines goes 'out of contract' in fall 2018... The line access fee for my wife's line will go down from $40 to $20, but will my GUDP receive the same $20 reduction by the time its 'upgrade eligibility' time comes around?

A while ago the Data on the GUDP went from 29.99 to 49.99 and I was under the impression that that was a permanent thing... but with all this UDP stuff coming back, I'm just not sure.

Can you break down your current plan as I have above?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol