Unlocked?

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I've got 4 lines with verizon, 1 galaxy S7 EDGE and 3 iphones(I guess I'm the only smart one in the house) . I know my S7 edge is unlocked. Is there a way to tell if the iphones are? 2 came from Verizon and 1 from Apple.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I've got 4 lines with verizon, 1 galaxy S7 EDGE and 3 iphones(I guess I'm the only smart one in the house) . I know my S7 edge is unlocked. Is there a way to tell if the iphones are? 2 came from Verizon and 1 from Apple.

They're unlocked.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

If the iPhones are iPhone 5 and newer, they're all SIM-unlocked.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Also keep in mind that unlocked doesn't mean fully supporting another carrier just that you can bring it to another carrier .

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Are ALL Verizon smartphones unlocked for GSM SIMS as a rule?

I just recently learned that all Verizon sold iPhones are unlocked for all GSM SIMS and since one iPhone model basically supports about 20 LTE bands, you can pop in a GSM almost from anywhere in the world into a Verizon sold iPhone and it will work without having to deal with if it's locked.

Recently tested it myself with a NIB Verizon iPhone 6 I had, popped in a friends T-Mobile chip and worked.

I'm Specifically wondering about LG and Samsung phones like the G5, V20, S7, S7E and upcoming S8 and G6.

I'm on AT&T but say if the upcoming G6 or S8 are unlocked from Verizon by default... I can buy a G6 from Verizon at a lower price then from AT&T ;) and pop in my AT&T SIM. Also, I can go traveling to China and pop in a China SIM without having to deal with contacting AT&T to unlock it for travel period.

They're unlocked.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Are ALL Verizon smartphones unlocked for GSM SIMS as a rule?

I just recently learned that all Verizon sold iPhones are unlocked for all GSM SIMS and since one iPhone model basically supports about 20 LTE bands, you can pop in a GSM almost from anywhere in the world into a Verizon sold iPhone and it will work without having to deal with if it's locked.

Recently tested it myself with a NIB Verizon iPhone 6 I had, popped in a friends T-Mobile chip and worked.

I'm Specifically wondering about LG and Samsung phones like the G5, V20, S7, S7E and upcoming S8 and G6.

I'm on AT&T but say if the upcoming G6 or S8 are unlocked from Verizon by default... I can buy a G6 from Verizon at a lower price then from AT&T ;) and pop in my AT&T SIM. Also, I can go traveling to China and pop in a China SIM without having to deal with contacting AT&T to unlock it for travel period.

Pretty much since 2012/2013?

Both of my sister-in-laws needed to switch over to back up phones after breaking their primary phones.

Ended up getting a Verizon iPhone 5 and a Verizon iPhone 5c for them to use on AT&T and T-Mobile.

(And they both run the current version of iOS)

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Pretty much since 2012/2013?

Both of my sister-in-laws needed to switch over to back up phones after breaking their primary phones.

Ended up getting a Verizon iPhone 5 and a Verizon iPhone 5c for them to use on AT&T and T-Mobile.

(And they both run the current version of iOS)

This.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Keep in mind that even though the current Verizon 4glte phones are factory sim unlocked, they might not support all the bands and features of your carrier.