Is Verizon doing away with original UDP

primevyl

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Wondering about this myself, too. What do see Verizon doing? I have 3 lines on the grandfathered in UDP and 1 line with 2GB limit. I'm contemplating switching to the new UDP and adding a bunch of family members on the plan for a total of 8 lines that we can all split the bill, should save us all a bunch of money, but I'm wondering if there's some hidden catch if we give up our grandfathered UDP and switch to this new one. What do you think would be the down side?
I see Verizon using this new plan (which has "data prioritization " after 22 gigs ...buzz word for throttle) as a way to step UDP to limited data sometime in the near future.

As for me, I wish they would treat me as the loyal customer I have been for 11 years instead of devising ways to sneak me off a plan I had the good sense to keep.

primevyl

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Gone since LTE has gotten to be as fast if not faster than home internet.. and then people started using it as such so they had to stop it.
I always find comments like this interesting. Yes people used it. They paid for it. Who says what is too much? Why are these same comments not directed at prodigious texters or talkers ?

No beef. Just saying

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I always find comments like this interesting. Yes people used it. They paid for it. Who says what is too much? Why are these same comments not directed at prodigious texters or talkers ?

No beef. Just saying
Because texting rides on the network signal already going to your phone and voice barley taxes anything network wise.

Also how was I riding them? I simply stated a fact as to why it's changing.. they simply can't support everyone turning their hotspot into home internet so hence the changes.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I see Verizon using this new plan (which has "data prioritization " after 22 gigs ...buzz word for throttle) as a way to step UDP to limited data sometime in the near future.

As for me, I wish they would treat me as the loyal customer I have been for 11 years instead of devising ways to sneak me off a plan I had the good sense to keep.
It's definitely still a throttle but they don't use the word because people will all think it's a cap when it isn't. I'm at 35 GB and still can stream stuff fine.. only if I hit congestion will I be throttled. That's the difference. People have been programmed by previous plans that throttle means once you hit it you're like that for the rest of the cycle.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site

Verizon can end any plan any time they want to, contracts don't matter, they like you can break the contract, customer gets to pay ETF if they break contract, carrier waives the ETF.

Verizon has let people hold onto the grandfathered unlimited data lines for a long time. Yes they have been trying to get us off them, but they never just shut them off, which they could have. Verizon has been pretty good about leaving people on the plans they signed up for. The new unlimited plans make sense for Verizon, it's limited high speed, they have the power to manage the towers capacity limits.

primevyl

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Because texting rides on the network signal already going to your phone and voice barley taxes anything network wise.

Also how was I riding them? I simply stated a fact as to why it's changing.. they simply can't support everyone turning their hotspot into home internet so hence the changes.
They can support it. They just know it's easier for people to believe such great service is a scarce commodity. I have not worked at the tower or engineering. But, unless all the morning meetings and sales rallies were bs, there is no bandwidth shortage.

I didn't say you were riding anything.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
They can support it. They just know it's easier for people to believe such great service is a scarce commodity. I have not worked at the tower or engineering. But, unless all the morning meetings and sales rallies were bs, there is no bandwidth shortage.

I didn't say you were riding anything.
Oh for now there probably is enough but in a few years.. who knows. They don't want to be a home ISP especially for the price they offer.

primevyl

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
One would hope they won't repeat the mistakes of AT&T and upgrade their network yearly. Forecasting resource allocation is part of good planning.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
One would hope they won't repeat the mistakes of AT&T and upgrade their network yearly. Forecasting resource allocation is part of good planning.

Verizon capex for 2016 was 17.1 billion. 2017 is expected to be similar.

It should also be noted that T-Mobile capex was 4.7billion and sprint about 2.3 billion.

primevyl

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Verizon capex for 2016 was 17.1 billion. 2017 is expected to be similar.

It should also be noted that T-Mobile capex was 4.7billion and sprint about 2.3 billion.
Excellent. No Armageddon-esque bandwidth droughts...again. ...for the 11 years I've been with them

AIR-11

Apr 22, 2015
Visit site

Thanks for the info. My fear is that we switch to the new UDP and then in a year or two they decide to eliminate UDP and force us onto a TDP and/or start raising these initial prices up, up, up. Because if I'm not mistaken, these new plans aren't on contracts, so technically they can change them anytime they want?

But, I guess the other side of this is that technically, once my current contracts on our grandfathered UDP's are up, they won't renew them either and those plans will just be floating out there for Verizon to take away anytime if they so choose, too? Is that correct?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the info. My fear is that we switch to the new UDP and then in a year or two they decide to eliminate UDP and force us onto a TDP and/or start raising these initial prices up, up, up. Because if I'm not mistaken, these new plans aren't on contracts, so technically they can change them anytime they want?

But, I guess the other side of this is that technically, once my current contracts on our grandfathered UDP's are up, they won't renew them either and those plans will just be floating out there for Verizon to take away anytime if they so choose, too? Is that correct?

Technically, they can change them.

But historically, they just introduce a new plan and hope you switch to it.

See More Everything, the Verizon Plan, the new Verizon Plan, etc.

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Or they can just give everyone free pizza to encourage them to switch.
This week it's 5 dollar dunkin donuts gift card and 2 dollar movie tickets for each line of service. I have 5 lines so that's 35 dollars worth of goodies this week🤙🏻🤙🏻🤙🏻

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar