Which phone protection plan?

Simon_y7

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
All my previous phones were purchased from Verizon and included their own equipment protection plan. This time, I purchased mine from Best Buy and ended with two plans, one from VZW (carried over) and another, by Geek Squad. Now I need to drop one. Any opinion on which one is better and which makes more sense to drop?

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I believe the 7.99 geek squad plan doesn't cover lost or stolen phones while the 9 dollar plan from Verizon does so I would probably stick with Verizon. I've also had a good experience with Verizon in the past. That's my .02

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
My gf has the total one from Verizon ($11 a month). Seems to cover loss, theft, water, etc.

Attachments

• totalmobile_vzw.png
    totalmobile_vzw.png
    64.9 KB · Views: 43

Simon_y7

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
The cost difference isn't all that significant. I'm more concerned about the actual experience with using either.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Well I've used nothing but Verizon which goes through Asurion and I've never had a bad experience. Always got my new phone quickly and never had any issues with the replacement phones even though they were refurbished. I would go with Verizon.

NougatDude

Dec 6, 2016
Visit site
Well I've used nothing but Verizon which goes through Asurion and I've never had a bad experience. Always got my new phone quickly and never had any issues with the replacement phones even though they were refurbished. I would go with Verizon.

Have had the same experience across the board with each carrier besides my T-Mobile line which doesn't have insurance.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Verizon covers the active phone on the line... For those of us wjo switch phones very often it is a better option, IMO.

NougatDude

Dec 6, 2016
Visit site
Verizon covers the active phone on the line... For those of us wjo switch phones very often it is a better option, IMO.

All the carriers do that or do some cover the last phone that was active on the line ? Like if I had to take out the sim for some reason and not put it back in for a while ? Thanks.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
All the carriers do that or do some cover the last phone that was active on the line ? Like if I had to take out the sim for some reason and not put it back in for a while ? Thanks.

I think so but you should check the exact requirements with your carrier.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I have all four carriers

just read through the terms on each carrier. this is verizon's

"If you have subscribed to Line Based Coverage: CoveredProperty means the wireless device owned by you for which: 1)the unique identification number (International Mobile EquipmentIdentity (IMEI)), Electronic Serial Number (ESN), or MobileEquipment ID (MEID) of such wireless device is reflected in therecords of the Wireless Service Provider at the time your coverageinitially became effective; and 2) for which outgoing airtime usagehas been logged with the Wireless Service Provider on your accountafter coverage became effective; unless you have logged outgoingairtime on a different wireless phone immediately prior to the timeof loss, in which case such wireless device becomes the covered property so long as: i) such wireless device is owned by you andyou provide us proof of ownership and ii) airtime usage was loggedon such device on your account with the Wireless Service Providerimmediately prior to the time of loss."

Verizon Cell Phone Replacement | Phoneclaim.com

D_Blumen

Mar 3, 2017
Visit site
It's not lunch time yet and I haven't had my morning yet(!), so can someone tell me if my math is wrong?

Verizon protection $9/month x 24 months = $216
Lost/stolen/damaged phone claim deductible = $149 (for Samsung S7, according to Asurion)

$216 + $149 = $365 (50 cents per day for two years)

So, if I don't buy the protection plan and just save $365 aside somewhere... add another $200, I can just buy another brand new S7.

Or am I better off just paying $9 a month?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance