Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default sprint vs. verizon

    ok, just curious to what everyone else thinks.. I am a gold member with sprint, and my fiance is bare minimum plan with verizon and her contract is up.. We want to get a family plan with one or the other, but am I missing something to why sprint is sssssooooo much cheaper than verizon, and the rep. for verizon basically said we are expensive so if its not coverage you want and the cheaper plan than go to sprint.. can someone convince me to switch over to verizon? B/c besides minimum patchy service is small spots, and I mean small spots, I am not sure how verizon is still in business! And we are talking $70 in price difference and I get more with sprint!! Lets here it!!
  2. #2  
    HawaiiD's Avatar

    Posts
    867 Posts
    Global Posts
    887 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7 7.1 / Tiamat 3.3.7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrshaffer3 View Post
    ok, just curious to what everyone else thinks.. I am a gold member with sprint, and my fiance is bare minimum plan with verizon and her contract is up.. We want to get a family plan with one or the other, but am I missing something to why sprint is sssssooooo much cheaper than verizon, and the rep. for verizon basically said we are expensive so if its not coverage you want and the cheaper plan than go to sprint.. can someone convince me to switch over to verizon? B/c besides minimum patchy service is small spots, and I mean small spots, I am not sure how verizon is still in business! And we are talking $70 in price difference and I get more with sprint!! Lets here it!!
    If coverage between the two are negligible? If 70 dollars more a month is
    accurate?
    That alone should be your deal breaker.

    I mean over 800 dollars a year more?

    Wow!
  3. #3  
    igotsanevo4g's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    3,558 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,549 Global Posts
    ROM
    Ice Cream Sandwich

    Default

    Sprint has roaming agreements with verizon, so you will usually have coverage in the same places as verizon, with sprint.

    It seems like your leaning towards sprint (Can't say i blame you, im lovin' it also), so im going to more this to the Verizon forum so you can hear some counter-arguments.
    Some say the glass is half empty. Some say its half full. I say, "Are you going to drink that?"
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

    Default

    sounds good.. yes, bias a little since I am a gold member and have been with sprint for 11 years.. and have been through a little bit of customer service issues about 6 years ago, but as far as I can tell, sprint is da BOMB!!
  5. #5  
    SierraJulietSierra's Avatar

    Posts
    31 Posts
    ROM
    Stock 2.3

    Default

    Sprint FTW! Been with Sprint since 2003. They were nice enough to Give me GOLD! Unlimited everything With The EVO
    "The more sand that has escaped from the hourglass of our life, the clearer we should see through it." -Niccolo Machiavelli
  6. #6  

    Default

    If you are happy with sprint then stick with them. I would say that verizon stays in business for 2 huge reasons.

    1) Their speeds are generally better, and with their 4G network rolling out faster than sprint and on 700mhz vs 2500mhz they have nowhere to go but up with service.

    2)Many people stick to verizon because many of their friends have verizon. You see if your friends all have verizon, even if you have sprint, sure it won't cost you a penny to talk to them on their cell phone, but they will all use their minutes to talk to you, this was a huge reason why my sister and many others online seem to refuse to leave verizon.

    Also verizon isn't that much more expensive for most plans, I think it's about the same in cost +/- $10-$20 a month if you don't have a family plan with data on every line.

    Also I am just curious as to which plans you were looking at that made verizon $70 more a month, because I imagine you'd be looking at the Sprint Everything Data Family for $129.99 a month, or on verizon the Nationwide Talk and Text family for $99.99+ $30/line for data, so if you are both smartphone users then it only comes out to $160 a month which is only $30 more, not 70. The only possible cause I can imagine for needing a more expensive verizon plan is if you or your fiance talk for hours during the day to people not on the verizon network.

    All the same, there are reasons to go to either one, but if sprint is cheaper for you and you are fine with their internet speeds in your area then they sound like the better choice, I much prefer the phones they get anyway.
  7. #7  
    Menno's Avatar
    Coffee Addict

    Posts
    689 Posts
    Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM9/Franco Kernal

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by igotsanevo4g View Post
    Sprint has roaming agreements with verizon, so you will usually have coverage in the same places as verizon, with sprint.
    This isn't really accurate. While it's true that Sprint has roaming agreements with Verizon, they're for 1xrtt data and not 3g, with a few exceptions in old alltel markets. Sprint phones are also programmed to give a ton of weight to native towers. This means that if a Verizon tower is right next to you, but according for the phones memory you should be in range of a sprint tower, it will try and connect to the sprint tower, even if the connection is significantly worse.

    Most of sprint's biggest marketing points (any mobile and unlimited data) will not work while roaming.

    I'm not saying this to try and dissuade the OP. I'm looking at Sprint myself right now. But one of the reasons sprint's still doing so poorly is because of misinformation about what they offer. If you promise someone that "your coverage is verizon's coverage" and it turns out to be false, they're going to drop Sprint, even if the limited deadzones wouldn't be a dealbreaker otherwise.

    What he should do is check out the locations his wife goes to/drives most often. If his sprint phone works fine there, he should go with Sprint. If the coverage is horrible for her, then you have to decide what to do with your line. Family plans are nice, but they only really save you money once you add a third line (or more). If coverage sucks for her but it's fine for you, I'd personally just keep both lines separate.
    I'm a tech junkie with a weak spot for Good Music, Good Beer, and Excellent Coffee.
  8. #8  

    Default

    I currently have Sprint and just recently they redid their roaming agreements and I now roam inside my house and in many places I've driven recently. Sprint is definitely cheaper but I'm going to be switching to the big V as the roaming is annoying.
  9. #9  

    Default

    Just switched from sprint to big V. Have to say a Huge difference in signal. I live in socal and have so many issues with sprint. Also I hear many of sprints contracts are expired/expiring which is resulting in the recent lack of coverage in many areas.
  10. #10  
    nfalbo's Avatar

    Posts
    93 Posts
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now again

    Default

    Here is what I tell everyone that asks. See what works best for you. If you do alot of traveling then Verizon might beyour best bet. But if stay in your home market most of the time see which service works best for you. Which service works best in your house and your places of work? When you are shopping for wireless you need to look at coverage before price. What good is it if you save money each month if you can't use your phone in places you travel to. I stay with Verizon because my everyone in my family and 99% of my friends all use Verizon so we can talk to each other using voice and text for free anytime all the time. If I would switch to another wireless company I might still have unlimited but they would not and is a big reason for me. Plus Sprint doesn't have coverage in my office or at my camp which Verizon does so that is another selling point for me.
  11. #11  
    rldev's Avatar

    Posts
    103 Posts
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ben7337 View Post
    If you are happy with sprint then stick with them. I would say that verizon stays in business for 2 huge reasons.

    1) Their speeds are generally better, and with their 4G network rolling out faster than sprint and on 700mhz vs 2500mhz they have nowhere to go but up with service.

    2)Many people stick to verizon because many of their friends have verizon. You see if your friends all have verizon, even if you have sprint, sure it won't cost you a penny to talk to them on their cell phone, but they will all use their minutes to talk to you, this was a huge reason why my sister and many others online seem to refuse to leave verizon.

    Also verizon isn't that much more expensive for most plans, I think it's about the same in cost +/- $10-$20 a month if you don't have a family plan with data on every line.

    Also I am just curious as to which plans you were looking at that made verizon $70 more a month, because I imagine you'd be looking at the Sprint Everything Data Family for $129.99 a month, or on verizon the Nationwide Talk and Text family for $99.99+ $30/line for data, so if you are both smartphone users then it only comes out to $160 a month which is only $30 more, not 70. The only possible cause I can imagine for needing a more expensive verizon plan is if you or your fiance talk for hours during the day to people not on the verizon network.

    All the same, there are reasons to go to either one, but if sprint is cheaper for you and you are fine with their internet speeds in your area then they sound like the better choice, I much prefer the phones they get anyway.
    That is not a fair comparison. The everything data has a lot more minutes and unlimited mobile to mobile. There is a reason why Verzion doesn't offer 10 free numbers on the cheap plan. If they did I would swtich.

    I pay 142 including taxes for two smartphone lines with Sprint. On Big V, it would cost me $193 after taxes. . That is a huge difference in price.
    Last edited by rldev; 05-20-2011 at 08:36 PM.
  12. #12  
    Andrew Ruffolo's Avatar

    Posts
    3,809 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,815 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by igotsanevo4g View Post
    Sprint has roaming agreements with verizon, so you will usually have coverage in the same places as verizon, with sprint.

    It seems like your leaning towards sprint (Can't say i blame you, im lovin' it also), so im going to more this to the Verizon forum so you can hear some counter-arguments.
    You get 1x speeds and you may or may not be able to text (I can't text at work where I roam).
  13. #13  
    STL 314's Avatar

    Posts
    274 Posts
    Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rldev View Post
    That is not a fair comparison. The everything data has a lot more minutes and unlimited mobile to mobile. There is a reason why Verzion doesn't offer 10 free numbers on the cheap plan. If they did I would swtich.

    I pay 142 including taxes for two smartphone lines with Sprint. On Big V, it would cost me $193 after taxes. . That is a huge difference in price.
    I had Verizon and I was paying around 195...I switched to sprint and i'm now only paying 165 and I get just as many features if not more as I did with verizon
  14. #14  

    Default

    Verizon is a great company with great coverage but thier pricing plans are a little expensive for me. I though about switching to vzw about a year ago because i didnt get service in alot of grocery stores i went into and im in route sales so i always need my phone to work and right around the time i was about to switch sprint updated their roaming and i get service everywhere now for much less. sometimes i even get evdo speeds on 3g while roaming sometimes i dont i guess it depends on the area that im in. also sprint wimax isnt as bad as people makes it seems but when it is avaliable im able to watch internet video and do everything else with no problem. so try out both companies and see which is better for you.
  15. #15  
    Linkchomp's Avatar
    Droid Monster

    Posts
    734 Posts
    Global Posts
    748 Global Posts

    Default

    Overall, Sprint's not a bad carrier though they do tend to have crappy service from time to time. But if I had to choose between Sprint and a carrier with bells and whistles, well then...I'll just say Sprint is a decent carrier.
    Live long, Rock hard
    Best in the World
  16. #16  
    hamagc's Avatar

    Posts
    583 Posts
    Global Posts
    608 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock - Maybe OC Kernel

    Default

    I'm 100% a sprint fan but I'm sure that's 80% because I'm sero. I've had almost everyone at some point. Loved vzw until I started texting alot and they only offered 2500 texts a month. Moved back to sprint and have been here since. I live in socal and don't travel too much outside of socal and always have coverage.

Posting Permissions