Ebay purchase/Verizon Warranty

iastonish

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
So I bought a Thunderbolt NIB off of ebay and had it activated at the Verizon store about two weeks ago. The mechanical shutter on my Tbolt is stuck closed, so I called *611 and was told that the phone is not covered because it was bought on Ebay.

The phone was bought originally through Verizon, then sold on Ebay new, so I'm trying to figure out my options here.

I pay for insurance, but don't really want to send my phone into Asurion for a number of reasons.

1- I won't have a phone for a week or more
2- I've heard how ****ty there repairs and refurbs are
3- I just paid $500 for the phone, I don't want to pay another $100 to fix it because it was a dud out of the box.

Anyone with experience want to help me out or give some advice?

Menno

Coffee Addict
Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
If a phone is purchased anywhere but at a authorized location, the warranty is typically void. This isn't really "fair" since it was NIB, but it's how the policy works and it's pretty standard no matter who the carrier is.

Their reasoning is that once the phone is sold, they have no way of knowing what it's been through. The warranty isn't through Verizon, it's through HTC. Verizon offers to exchange devices in warranty to streamline the process, but it means that if they accept a phone as a warranty swap and HTC said user error created the defect, they have to eat that cost. It's one thing to do it when you sold the customer the device, it's another thing entirely when they bought it somewhere else.

You can try taking it to a corporate store and see if they'll do an exception swap for you, but it's not a common thing. I'd also contact HTC and see what they can do. Just understand that if they do agree to look at it, you will have to ship them your phone.

For Asurion, if you go that route, they ship you the replacement phone first, so you won't be without a phone. Their replacements do have a warranty on them, and if you get a swap soon after a device comes out, it's not always bad. the horrible replacements start to come out after a lot of people start making claims. Did you get the insurance under open enrollment? because you typically can't insure phones that aren't purchased in a store either.

Reactions: MissJennell#IM

DarkSorrow

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
I would send it back to the seller and complain. You will be covered under the eBay and PayPal policies to return the product and get your money back.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adelinachau53674