iPhone's effect on Verizon's Android plans?

nerdydesi

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
Is it just me or since Verizon got the iPhone (only about 3 months), that their interest in Android has become greatly lukewarm from before? In contrast, ATT is greatly ramping up their Android game since losing exclusivity?

I find it frustrating that the nation's largest carrier seems to have a lackluster lineup compared to the smaller companies, like the Sensation on T-Mobile, the Evo 3D on Sprint, etc?

I already didn't like Apple beforehand (Windows fanboy, but not a fan of Windows Phone 7), but I really dislike the iPhone more now, especially working currently at VZW tech support. The customers in general are more quick to anger, less educated (makes sense with many nerds on Android vs. regular people with iPhone) less calm, frustrated, entitled, etc when their precious iPhone isn't working, or they want one for cheap or free, etc. They blame me when iTunes won't sync their songs or corrupts the software during a botched firmware update.

Hell, I had one person that was a customer for 18 years with Verizon wanting to leave for ATT because our price was $199 for the 16gb and he could get it from them for $49 (and I noted that was the 3Gs version). Sheesh, this phone has crazy effects on people, no wonder some call it the "god-phone". :-\

The timing when VZW got the phone also coincides that they reduced the return period from 30 to 14 days and got rid of the NE2 program. Plus, its insurance is more than for other phones and when moving to and from an iPhone, it uses its own version of visual voicemail (at least with us) so you have to set up a new mailbox and lose all your previous messages. Ugh, I just really don't like the phone.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I think it is just you. The TB and Charge are out. The Bionic is coming. The SGII is coming. I think VZW is staying the course.

ATT on the other hand had to ramp up the Android devices. They lost their cash cow and had to replace the "lost" revenue from people who might have switched to them just for the iphoney

Dark Wizard Matoya

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Is it just me or since Verizon got the iPhone (only about 3 months), that their interest in Android has become greatly lukewarm from before? In contrast, ATT is greatly ramping up their Android game since losing exclusivity?

I find it frustrating that the nation's largest carrier seems to have a lackluster lineup compared to the smaller companies, like the Sensation on T-Mobile, the Evo 3D on Sprint, etc?

I already didn't like Apple beforehand (Windows fanboy, but not a fan of Windows Phone 7), but I really dislike the iPhone more now, especially working currently at VZW tech support. The customers in general are more quick to anger, less educated (makes sense with many nerds on Android vs. regular people with iPhone) less calm, frustrated, entitled, etc when their precious iPhone isn't working, or they want one for cheap or free, etc. They blame me when iTunes won't sync their songs or corrupts the software during a botched firmware update.

Hell, I had one person that was a customer for 18 years with Verizon wanting to leave for ATT because our price was $199 for the 16gb and he could get it from them for $49 (and I noted that was the 3Gs version). Sheesh, this phone has crazy effects on people, no wonder some call it the "god-phone". :-\

The timing when VZW got the phone also coincides that they reduced the return period from 30 to 14 days and got rid of the NE2 program. Plus, its insurance is more than for other phones and when moving to and from an iPhone, it uses its own version of visual voicemail (at least with us) so you have to set up a new mailbox and lose all your previous messages. Ugh, I just really don't like the phone.

It's just you. Verizon hasn't lost interest in Android at all. They have plenty of new Android phones coming out, ans I'm still holding out hope that they will carry the next Nexus phone.

Sent from my HTC Droid Nexus with Tapatalk.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
It's just you. Verizon hasn't lost interest in Android at all. They have plenty of new Android phones coming out, ans I'm still holding out hope that they will carry the next Nexus phone.

Sent from my HTC Droid Nexus with Tapatalk.

You know what, I don't think I would hold my breath on that one. VZW doesnt want to be told what to do and I think having a pure google phone would be akin to that. The ability to take off the bloat? NO! Take away the ability to upsell you rintone, vcast and other services? NO!

I don't think red would stand for that. I am really surprised they have gotten Samsung to lock the Fassy down more.....

nerdydesi

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
Doesn't it seem frustrating and disheartening that especially T-Mobile is getting a nice line-up of phones that Verizon doesn't seem to be matching yet? For instance, T-Mobile is getting the HTC Sensation, the Samsung Hercules and already has the LG G2X, all three are dual-core behemoths with the G2X being stock at that.

The reason why I feel frustrated and disheartened is that T-Mobile is the smallest nationwide carrier that may not even exist a year from now. In contrast, Verizon is the largest nationwide carrier and is doing very well for itself right now.

That alone makes me think that VZW has lost interest in Android since getting the "god" phone. :mad:

Linkchomp

Droid Monster
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
That's because T-mobile is big outside the US with it being a GSM carrier and all. Plus T-Mobile is the native homeland of Android with it being the carrier to carry the first Android device.

Dark Wizard Matoya

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
You know what, I don't think I would hold my breath on that one. VZW doesnt want to be told what to do and I think having a pure google phone would be akin to that. The ability to take off the bloat? NO! Take away the ability to upsell you rintone, vcast and other services? NO!

I don't think red would stand for that. I am really surprised they have gotten Samsung to lock the Fassy down more.....

I'm not holding my breath. I'm going to wait and see if Verizon does pick up the next Nexus phone but to be honest I;m not expecting them too, and if they don't then I will gladly leave Verizonand go wherever the next Nexus phone is.

Linkchomp

Droid Monster
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Verizon will never get the Nexus phone. They enjoy loading their phones with crapware and with the Nexus being a pure Android phone, I doubt it'll happen.

anon(19758)

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Verizon will never get the Nexus phone. They enjoy loading their phones with crapware and with the Nexus being a pure Android phone, I doubt it'll happen.

I agree, and it's depressing. I would pay the off contract price on an unlocked bloat-free phone in a heartbeat.

Sent from my Nook Color using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa